General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Let's Discuss Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's Discuss Fog Lights

I'm on a fog light mission. I didn't like the search results, so here's a new thread.

What I'm looking for:
- on the smaller side, like say 3" diameter max.
- all-around use. possibly for DRL. ability to cut through fog/snow/dust.
- I don't really need them for extra driving light duty, got the Lightforces for that, just extra visibility to others I suppose.

Here are some questions

1) What is a good online site to buy/browse foglights?

2) What fog lights do you recommend? (from experience)

These foggies will find a home in my TJM front bumper.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

cal,

I'd recommend these

I have a set of the "blue" version sitting downstairs that I will sell you if you want them...I previously had a problem with my stock fog lights so I bought these one day on an impulse and now I don't need them.

If you have any more questions about them just PM me, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

The bad boys light up the night! I will say however that I never drove with them through HEAVY snow, I used them for the light stuff that we get occasionally here but nothing severe. I will say they do cut through rain and fog pretty darn well. They come in two varieties, the oval shaped ones (FF50) and the rounded-edge rectangles (FF75). I have and HAD the FF75's and loved them. Easy to mount, easy to wire, all is included and I think they even make stone shields for them now.

Here's a link to the Hella website showing the blue version.

I honestly can't remember where I got my blue ones but I have purchased the non-blue ones, on my previous Runner from 4x4Connection and they were great...I also got my ARB from them about 2 years ago, great guys, great service and very honest.

There's my two cents, I would comment on others but I don't have any experience with any others.

Good luck in your quest and if you're interested in the set that I have just hit me up with a PM.

Let me know about those pics that I asked about too...I never got an email, my server has been acting up though so just let me know if you already sent them. Thanks.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 12-09-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:41 PM

I use the Hella 550's, a bit on the larger side, but I have used both the fog light and the driving light models. The fog lights work great in blowing snow and in snow storms. The driving lights are very nice for seeing into the distance, but they will blind you in a snowstorm, it was like I was driving into a wall of swirling snow. They actually cut visibility. Check out www.rallylights.com
Old 12-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

hm....thanks for the info. i gotta say i do have a preference for round lights, but i will consider those.

from what i've read around the internets, blue light is idea for snow, but yellow more for fog/dust. i'd think yellow would be suitable for snow as well, or at least better than white light. these lights will probably see more dust and fog, but i do ooccasionally see some light to heavy snow on trips.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
how much you want to spend ? also do you have the filters for the lightforces ?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

i don't know, how much could fog lights be anyway?

i'm willing to pay for what i'm looking for.
ideal: about 3' diamater, round, amber

i don't have any filters besides the clear combo ones right now. yeah i can pick up some yellow or blue ones, but i wanna leave the colored light to the fog lights. i think.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ive never seen amber fog lights in that size also i had a set of hella 550s that where amber and didint help one bit in the fog
Old 12-09-2006, 07:14 PM

Forgot to mention, whatever you get, put some sort of rock protection on them. I got some of the Expel covering and cut it down to fit the 550's.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

any ideas where you are going to mount them?

I am trying to figure out where to mount the ones I bought from cabellas.

I was thinking in the bottom 4 holes of the TJM.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
These foggies will find a home in my TJM front bumper.
Sounds like it might be where you were thinking.

Fink
Old 12-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
any ideas where you are going to mount them?

I am trying to figure out where to mount the ones I bought from cabellas.

I was thinking in the bottom 4 holes of the TJM.
yep, TJM.

I'm gonna pull a BruceTS and move the turn signals out a bit, and put the fogs inside of them.

It's a shame the TJM didn't come with fogs, but at least they can be added, one way or another. I didn't use my fogs in the stock bumper all that much, but I guess I kinda miss having them. And on really foggy days, it's nice to have the added visibility.

I don't care so much about having the bling LED/oval turn signals like Bruce has, but figure while I'm in there cutting up the TJM, it might make sense to put in some more waterproof lights.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned

I would love to custom fab my lights into the TJM, but dont have the $$ nor the skills/tools of doing it. Definitely keep us posted in what you do.

as far as round lights PIAA Makes the best IMO http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamps-General.html

As far as where to buy them, Burtman usually hooks up in prices.

Last edited by Localmotion; 12-09-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member

I'll be mounting the 9.99 Cabela's special lights when I get back so I can let you know how that goes. Or maybe Localmotion will beat me to the review of those lights used as fogs.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tanto
I'll be mounting the 9.99 Cabela's special lights when I get back so I can let you know how that goes. Or maybe Localmotion will beat me to the review of those lights used as fogs.
all I have done thus far was connect them temp. to see how bright they were. For some reason, I wasnt satisfied, but then remembered i only paid $14 for them.

I also dont like the blue tint the lens have.

For performance and size , PIAAS are the best IMO.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Localmotion
all I have done thus far was connect them temp. to see how bright they were. For some reason, I wasnt satisfied, but then remembered i only paid $14 for them.

I also dont like the blue tint the lens have.

For performance and size , PIAAS are the best IMO.
I can get you guys pretty much ANY light, and can do pretty darn good with prices. For all your lighting needs, : ), shoot me a PM or email and I'll try my best.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

i came across these lights: http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.c...t_Code=PL-360B

wouldn't the BLUE lens + AMBER bulb combine to form WHITE light?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It says amber BEAM not bulb. Reflect the blue out of whiteish light, should be left with amber...
Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I run the Hella 550 fogs and just recently installed 100W H3 all-weather bulbs and they work pretty darn nice. Mount them as low as possible, I have mine under my front bumper, between the front spring hangers. I can fold them back and up under the radiator when I don't need them to keep them from getting damaged. I used to run them above my bumper, they were OK, but I measured and found out I was an inch or two above the legal height (in CA) and had to drop them down. Glad I did, they work a whole lot better down about 20" off the road.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aimign them low is key imho, either moutn them like RB has done or get the ones that can pivot or make your own pivot.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:20 AM

I too dont see the point in cheap lights, they arent any good... hence cheap

The difference is WAY worth it. Personally I only run PIAA.. and in what you are looking for get the 004XT.. great little light.. lots of illum.. I have a set on my truck and love them.

Quick Reply: Let's Discuss Fog Lights