General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

I am LOCKED! Lock Right. 1st on-road impression.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am LOCKED! Lock Right. 1st on-road impression.

Where is the "click, clang, bang, cluck" that everyone's talking about?!!

I think I was just worried that the mentioned quirks of the "lunchbox" lockers will be intolerable for my DD.

After waiting nearly 3 weeks to get the Lock Right I ordered, my buddy & I finally got it installed late last night. We pretty much followed the instructions that came in the box step by step except the part that said, "Scraping it on a cement floor also works......"

We could've used the locker last Sunday offroading, but instead I received it the day after. I thought I ordered it well ahead of time so that it can be installed for our planned offroad outing, but apparently I was wrong. I had to call the place that I ordered it from several times, but none of them could explain why it's taking so long.

Anyway, after installation late last night. We took the truck out for a test drive around the neighborhood. Driving off, it seemed like I noticed a little bit more traction when accelerating, and we didn't hear any unsual noises. We gave it a quick, accelarating 90 degree, left and right turn. No noises! I asked myself, "what are those guys talking about?!!"

Driving to work this morning, I did hear a faint clicking while I turned left, but not really noticeable unless you're trying to hear for it w/your all your windows rolled down. I also noticed that the inside rear tire chirped as I accelerated while turning right up a hill from a stop. Then when I was parking when I got to work, I heard a little thud in the rear diff when I put the truck in "Reverse" and in "Drive." Similar noise that my LC makes when I put it in gear sometimes. Nothing really unsual that you cannot tolerate.

Now, I need to test it out offroad.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah the offroad test will definitely yield more noticeable signs than a road drive. I think, since 4Runners are heavier than pickups in the rear, you don't notice the occassional bucking or thud that we notice in trucks. I've ridden in SUVs and rear wheel drive sports cars with Lockrights, and they seem a little bit quiter. I notice mine when shifting into D or R, and if I have to apply throttle sharply in a turn. I've gotten so accustomed to driving with it, I hardly ever notice it.