General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Help me diagnose the condition of this engine W/pics (possible 56k death)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me diagnose the condition of this engine W/pics (possible 56k death)

I am in the process of freshening up a 5VZ-FE that I plan to swap into my '93 P/U. The 3.4L was sourced from a '99 4Runner Limited that had about 72,000 miles on it when wrecked. As I began disassembling the engine in order to install the new timing belt, water pump, cam and crank seals, and other assorted service type goodies, I began to notice that the engine seems to be 'dirtier' inside than my '98 that has similar mileage on the clock. There is quite a bit of what appears to be oil residue inside the intake tract and underneath the valve covers. Some of the residue looks to be baked on, and some of it appears to be just kind of 'gunky'.

Anyway, I am fairly competent with tools and can read manuals and diagrams - I feel that I should be able to pull off this swap with no major complications - but I am lacking in the experience department. Perhaps some of you who might be more experienced or even engine gurus could look at these photos and tell me what you think about the state of the motor and possible reasons as to why it would be so dirty inside.

One thought that has entered my mind is that perhaps the engine may have a blow-by problem, either because of an issue with the piston rings, something to do with the valve lash adjustment, or maybe the extra filth is a by-product of the driving habits of the previous owner (for instance, perhaps they always drove the Runner at high RPMS). Another possibility might be the type of fuel used in the vehicle. As I said, I have a general and basic knowledge of how things work, but no real indepth and longterm experience with the inner workings of this particular engine.

If it helps any, I am making my comparison based on what I saw inside the 5VZ-FE that is in my '98 T-100. The '98 has been serviced almost exclusively with Mobile1 5W-30 since it was new, and has been fed Cheveron gasonline (it's possible that their detergent package is doing it's job) for the greater part of it's life. The oil is changed in the T-100 at about 3,750 mile intervals. And as far as the driving habits under which it's been operated - well lets just say my wife drives it most, and she doesn't 'hot rod' it around, especially not with the price of gas these days. I got a chance to look into the T-100's engine when I did the timingbelt and waterpump, and the valve lash adjustment.

Thanks in advance for any who have taken the time to get into my thread and offer some assistance.

Oh, one more thing before I start in on the pictures. The PCV valve was also very dirty, but it still rattled, so I guess it's still good, but it was quite dirty.

Inside valve covers

Camshafts

Down the intake ports

In this picture it looks like the number 2, 4, and 6 are a bit dirtier than the other bank.

Thanks again for any input.

Last edited by Strider7; 08-28-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see anything I would be worried about (been a mech for 30 years). Your Mobile 1 service will clean that up. That actually looks halfway decent.

The intakes will accumulate gunk like that. High detergent gas helps some to keep it clean (chevron is one of those gasolines)

I've seen some engines that had thick hardened oil residue that looked like tar coated inside. That is from not changing oil.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yoda
I don't see anything I would be worried about (been a mech for 30 years). Your Mobile 1 service will clean that up. That actually looks halfway decent.

The intakes will accumulate gunk like that. High detergent gas helps some to keep it clean (chevron is one of those gasolines)

I've seen some engines that had thick hardened oil residue that looked like tar coated inside. That is from not changing oil.

Thank you for the reply, David.

As you might imagine, I have never heard or seen this motor run. I purchased it on its good looks alone (ha,ha). But seriously though, I won't be certain that I made a good investment until the thing is installed and running. Finding questionable unknowns in the motor just adds to that feeling of uncertainty.

Hopefully others will see the thread and give their thoughts, but your comments have helped to ease my concerns.

In my swap thread, linked HERE, I made mention of finding NGK plugs in one cylinder bank and Denso plugs in the other bank. MT_GOAT replied, in that thread, that "Two different plugs brands for each bank is standard from the factory." Can you offer comfirmation on that and/or any more information concerning the dual brand spark plug configuration?

Here is a shot of the plugs in question.

Thank you again.