General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Easy to build fishing rod rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy to build fishing rod rack

I'm new to this site.. and yotas. I just bought a 95 3.0 4runner and now that I have it running I needed to make it practical for my everyday needs. I couldn't find what I was looking for on here so now that I figured it out on my own I figured I'd share it.

This is a cheap and easily removable rack for almost any kind of fishing rod.

Home Depot Shopping List: You'll need one length of pvc pipe, 1 1/2". I chose this size to accommodate the two holes that we will drill in the caps later.
Also get two caps and two elbows. Head over to the chain and rope section and pick up two 36" bungee straps with the adjustable hook holes. You will also need 4 bolts matching the same thread as the ones that come off your hold down loops, but longer (1" will do).

Tools: You'll need a drill strong enough to go through the pvc (pvc gets hot and melts which can stall it if it's a sucky drill o_0). You will also need a saw, jig saw, sawzall, or in my case a chop saw, what ever you have that'll cut through pvc. Also grab a tape measure and perm marker. The bolts in my hold down were 3/16 so grab a socket ect for what ever fits yours. Oh, and a razor blade.

Step one-
Cut two pieces of pvc 26.5" and a single length of 44".
Step two-

Unbolt your hold downs.
Step three-
Use your hold downs as a guide to drill holes in the pvc caps.

Step four-
Use your razor and cut the carpet back a little longer so that the two holes are fully exposed.
Step five-
Start both bolts (your long bolts), put the cap upside down and line up the holes. Tighten them down evenly so that when you add your poles they are level. (a couple turns for one then the other or you risk fudging your thread)
Then put your two 26.5 pieces in. (tap them in vs turning them, those caps don't like being turned)
Step six-
Put your elbows on both ends of the 44" pipe. Sit it down on a flat surface to ensure they are both pointing the same direction.
Step seven-
Use your drill to punch a hole at the far edge of the elbows. (There is a mold spot I used as a guide that worked pretty well.) You'll need to drill this at an angle so that the hook from the bungee can fit into it.

Step eight-
Carefully hook a bungee from one end to the other. (I almost lost a tooth, so be easy with it lol)
Step nine- tap the 44" pipe onto the top of your two 26.5 pipes.

Step ten-
Take your remaining bungee to the back seat, simply hook one side of your bungee to the oh snaphandle, then adjust the other hook so that when you hook to the opposite oh snap handle it will be good and tight.

Your done!

Last edited by vital22re; 07-15-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: snappin language