General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Clunker Cars At The Junk Yards

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Clunker Cars At The Junk Yards

This past saturday i went to two diferent pic n pulls, and i was just amazed at what i saw, they were both full of cars and trucks from the cash for clunkers program, i was seeing vehicles of all makes and models that just shouldn`t have been there, so when i got to the truck section i saw a couple of 90`s 4Runners that were in perfect condition, there was one 90 toyota pick up that was in mint condition that didn`t deserve to die like that, and a couple of other trucks as well, this was at the pic n pull in fairfield. The other pic n pull i went to was in rancho cordova (up by sacramento) and i saw the same thing, but they had more trucks there than in fairfield. So now is the time to go out and start looking for any parts you need for your trucks and 4Runners, if we don`t there will be many good parts that will go to waste because of our government.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
ARRGGHHH
I needs more moneez.
I'd go snag me a whole SR5 setup for my truck.
Gauges, Seats, anything i could get lol.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 PM

Yea, i saw a few trucks there that had some spotless seats in em.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So here's proof that the program is being taken advantage of?

Them C4C vehicles are supposed to be rendered mostly useless for re-use, save for body panels, electrical and that's about it. Engines are supposed to be removed, rendered un-usable, etc.

But I'm not surprised. Government programs are always designed to help someone, but rarely, if ever, us. If you asked me, my 72 Firebird is a clunker, not my 91 Toyota truck. But hey, that's just my opinion... my Firebird is too old to be a clunker as is my 88 4Runner . As much as I'd like to think logic has escaped me, logic has apparently escaped my senators and representatives by a factor of at least 20 (years?).

But then again, my Firebird emits about as much CO2 per mile as my 91 truck or 88 4Runner.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-13-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:25 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
abe your avatars only get better.. And i thought these "clunkers were supposed to be crushed?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
So here's proof that the program is being taken advantage of?

Them C4C vehicles are supposed to be rendered mostly useless for re-use, save for body panels, electrical and that's about it. Engines are supposed to be removed, rendered un-usable, etc.

But I'm not surprised. Government programs are always designed to help someone, but rarely, if ever, us. If you asked me, my 72 Firebird is a clunker, not my 91 Toyota truck. But hey, that's just my opinion... my Firebird is too old to be a clunker as is my 88 4Runner . As much as I'd like to think logic has escaped me, logic has apparently escaped my senators and representatives by a factor of at least 20 (years?).

But then again, my Firebird emits about as much CO2 per mile as my 91 truck or 88 4Runner.
Yes, the engines in these vehicles have been destroyed, there was a tag on one engine that said the oil has been drained from the engine and it was filled with liquid glass and run until it died, if i go to pic n pull next weekend i will grab one of these tags and post up what it says.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vital22re
abe your avatars only get better..
I'm only as good as the ammunition I'm provided with. But I do think that Pelosi on the side is a nice touch.
And i thought these "clunkers were supposed to be crushed?
Nope... the engines are supposed to rendered useless. Hence my comment that my Firebird is more of a clunker than either of my trucks and it's too old to be a clunker... and it emits as much CO2 per mile as most other vehicles despite not having converter(s) installed on it.

Last edited by abecedarian; 09-13-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I guess I must be on the wrong page…
A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline.

A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons year.

So, the average "Cash for Clunkers" transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claim 700,000 vehicles so that's 224 million gallons/year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. 5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's US consumption.

And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $70/bbl.

So, lemme get this right, we all contributed to spending $3 billion to save $350 million.

How good a deal was that???

They'll probably do a great job with health care though!!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ranted about this earlier but will again. On my local craigslist I saw two 94 Land Cruisers, one with front and rear lockers, for sale for 4500 bucks. The sellers wanted to sell the trucks to someone for 4500 instead getting the gov't money (which they'd be forced to do if they didn't sell on craigslist).

Now wait a minute. Haven't they heard of blue book, www.kbb.com? Even in fair shape with 200K miles a 94 LC is worth almost $9000.

Wait for the program to run out of money and just.....trade your LC in for more money than you'd get from my taxes.

Anyway.....
Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Trail_Banger
I ranted about this earlier but will again. On my local craigslist I saw two 94 Land Cruisers, one with front and rear lockers, for sale for 4500 bucks. The sellers wanted to sell the trucks to someone for 4500 instead getting the gov't money (which they'd be forced to do if they didn't sell on craigslist).

Now wait a minute. Haven't they heard of blue book, www.kbb.com? Even in fair shape with 200K miles a 94 LC is worth almost $9000.

Wait for the program to run out of money and just.....trade your LC in for more money than you'd get from my taxes.

Anyway.....
The program ended weeks ago.

FWIW, the cars won't be crushed. They run the liquid glass through them and they are sold off to the junkyards. I too just gutted a very clean 94 4runner at the pick and pull. I got some perfect gray SR5 seats, center console, rear hatch for a customer, radiator, V6 calipers, master cylinder, and a few other things off of it. I paid $75 for all of it.

For anyone needing a tranny, this is the way to go. These vehicles had to drive into the dealer under their own power and had to be insured for the last year. In other words, they needed to be street legal and driving. IMO, its a shame that these are now wasted vehicles. However, its good that some very quality parts are now available in the yards. I plan on hitting the yards about once a week.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Banned

the junkyards have 90 days to crush them, my local metal recycler is crushing them like theres no tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i'm off to the J-yard today then!!