General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

CatClamp - Initial Impression

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CatClamp - Initial Impression

Just installed the basic CatClamp model today on my 99 4Runner and while it is aesthetically intimidating, it doesn't seem too functional. I had a mechanic install it while putting on my new muffler and he brought up some very interesting points.

For those who aren't familiar with it, the CatClamp is a catalytic converter theft deterrent system. There are two collars and 4 aircraft quality cables include, in which you'd clamp one collar on each side of the piping extruding from the cat and then feed the wire through each collar with the holes provided.

PROS

-It looks like hell so if a thief snuck under your car, he would most likely crawl back out because it looks impossible to work on.
-No welding required, however a carlift would be advisable to install

CONS

EDIT: Well I did list them, but thanks to the community for thinking one step ahead, I've removed them because I basically listed how they could steal one.

I'm going back down to LA in a month, so I'll see what happens while I'm down there.

Last edited by undergroundthry; 07-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:19 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cable is hard to cut with a sawzall.

Like most theft deterrent systems, if someone wants through it, they'll get through it, however the idea that "this will take too long, I'll hit that one over there" is pretty effective.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by tc

Like most theft deterrent systems, if someone wants through it, they'll get through it, however the idea that "this will take too long, I'll hit that one over there" is pretty effective.
i hope a thief isn't reading this because he pretty much told how to steal a cat with this device on it
Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hope it works out for you!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by tc

That's what I thought too, but my mechanic sawed off about a foot off extra cable using a battery powered Sawzall with a $1 blade.

I do realize that I might have told tweakers how to steal a cat, but let's hope they don't run across this one page on the trillions of other webpages on the Internet.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Without a vice to hold the it still, cable is very hard to cut with a recip saw.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by undergroundthry
That's what I thought too, but my mechanic sawed off about a foot off extra cable using a battery powered Sawzall with a $1 blade.

I do realize that I might have told tweakers how to steal a cat, but let's hope they don't run across this one page on the trillions of other webpages on the Internet.
yea thiefs are lazy P O S's. they took my cat with both O2 sensors

but i did google "how to steal catalytic converter with a catclamp installed" and this topic was the 3rd one listed but i agree with what you said..a worthless thief would look at that and go to the next car. Budbuilt said he was developing a type of skid plate to cover just the cat that would make it impossible to get too.lets hope these devices work..
Old 07-26-2009, 06:37 PM

Apparently my mechanic said only OEM cats are the ones thieves take because there's a lot more platinum and what not in them. Aftermarket ones aren't worth as much and thieves don't steal it... however I read that those who do steal cats are druggies anyways and they probably wouldn't know the difference between OEM and aftermarket?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:35 PM

Good call. Done deal.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:13 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude those druggies do know which cats to steal they only take the oem ones not the aftermarket ones , they want money ,they know what will get them that.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by bain
Budbuilt said he was developing a type of skid plate to cover just the cat that would make it impossible to get too.lets hope these devices work..
I'm hoping other ideas/alternatives than the cat-clamp are devised. There's definately a market for them since converter theft isn't going away anytime soon.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 PM

Well once your OEM is stolen, then your aftermarket is pretty much worthless to scrap metal recyclers. So it's pretty much a one time thing?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:50 PM

So just thought I'd point this out... using stock piping, the Cat Clamp will not fit properly. Also, be sure to have on hand plenty of zip ties because if you don't, you'll be hearing the vibration of the cables against the heat shield, which can be heard in the cabin. I had a mechanic install mine and he followed the instructions that came with the product word for word (sort of). I'll post some pictures later of what it looks like... it looks like hell.