General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Is it the axle seal or the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it the axle seal or the brakes

I did a search of axle seals and brake leaks and was able to find some information regarding this. Ok guys, this Saturday I noticed some fluid on the rear tire on the passenger side. There was brown fluid out of the back part of the rim and on to the tire and the floor. I had my brakes done June 2005, the front brake pads and rotors resurfaced, and the rear brakes were replaced because they were beginning to leak fluid. So I called the dealer and they said they would take a look at it free of charge, but said it could possibly be the axle seal and would cost about $235 for the axle seal (parts and labor). I’m bring my truck in Friday to find out what’s going on but wanted to have some info handy so I’m not going in blind. Does the price seam reasonable and is this brown fluid that is coming out from the brake or the axle? My truck is an 89 V6, 5spd, 4WD, long bed, with black steal wheels, and 32x11.5x15 MTs.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smell it, brake fluid doesn't have any smell, and gear oil has a strong smell.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:59 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or check the fluid level in the diff. That price is AWESOME. I had mine done not at a dealer and it was at least twice that (well, for both sides...). It involves a considerable amount of press work - I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. May as well change the bearings while you're in there and have everything pressed off...
Old 12-04-2006, 01:16 PM

eric-the-red, I'll smell it when I get home (I carpool with the GF and it was her turn to drive this week). I'm hoping its not the axle.

tc, hopefully I won't have to pay for any axle work and its the brakes, hoping they give me a huge break on the cost of the work.

If it is the axle, having only one side done, will it affect how the truck drives?

Thanks guys.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:22 PM
tc
Contributing Member

It shouldn't, but I would do both while you're at it. Also, check that your diff breather isn't plugged or rusted shut - the pressure generated by the heat in the diff is what forces the oil past in the first place.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:50 PM

Thanks tc.

If its the brake fluid, the brake fuild in the engine bay would be low right?

If its the axle, would the truck drive differently or would I hear any noise?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:18 PM

I had to replace my axle seals not to long ago, only did one side at a time.
As far as being able to feel the truck drive differently, you wont feel anything, it just leaks. Now if you don't take care of the problem and the bearing goes out then you will feel it. I did most of the work myself, and just took the axle shaft down to a local shop and had them press off the old stuff, and had them press on the new bearings and seals. I think it ended up only costing me 30 dollars in labor for the shop, around $60 for the bearing, and about $15-20 for both inner and outer seals. If you can do both sides I would highly recommend it, reason being is that about 3 months later the other side went out and had to do the whole process over again. Good uck to you, and I hope it's only a brake problem and not the axle seals.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Bad news! Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I was told.

If the gear oil has already made it to the brakes, then it has gone past inner seals, bearings, and outers. This means that the SEALED bearing is no longer sealed. I am broke as a joke, so I just did the inners a few weeks ago, and left the old bearings in.

So my point is: if you want to fix the leak fast, just go get an inner and do it yourself. (buy atleast 4, they are tricky) and use the freezer trick!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by idealconcepts
If its the brake fluid, the brake fuild in the engine bay would be low right?
Yeah, but it could show low for a variety of reasons - including wear of the pads/shoes, so the brake fluid won't tell you too much unless it's SUPER low (and if that were true, your "BRAKE" light would be on).
Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 AM

Thanks TC.

crbocaj125 - I know the feeling, workin on the backyard and Christmas is comming up, so cash is tight.

bruzer - I'm hoping its the brakes too. I don't have the tools and experience for this type of work. I've done the starter, altenator, a few other little things myself but something like this I typically don't attempt. Hopefully when I find out on Friday its the brakes.

eric-the-red - I took a smell of the fluid and didn't smell like anything, so I'm hoping this is good sign its the brake fluid. The fluid was also very liquidy, gear oil would be thicker right?

Thanks everyone, awesome info as usual.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:27 AM

Unhappy New Brakes Needed?

Ok, so I dropped the truck off at the dealer about an hour ago. They are saying if it is the axle seal the brakes will need to be replaced. My assumption is the brake pad because the total cost would be around $400 for one axle and the brakes. If I want to do two axles and one side of the brakes it would cost around $740. Do I really need them the do the brakes again or can they just clean them up? As far as I could tell the truck was stopping fine so I rather not pay to have the brakes done again. My plan is to have them just do one side of the axle and have them clean the brakes. So what do you guys think, can I just have them clean the brakes so I done have to pay an additional $160 or so? Let me know, I have about 2 or 3 hours before they call and let me know what they find.

Thanks in advance for your quick response.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It depends how wet the brake shoes got, and how long they've had gear oil on them. I caught mine early, so I just cleaned the shoes with a bit of brake cleaner, then I took a fine grit sandpaper and sanded the surface slightly. If they've been sitting in gear oil for a while, the shoe material can get brittle and start to chunk off.

I'd take a look at the brake shoes myself, to see how bad they are, then make the call. Worse case if you re-use them is that your braking won't be as good as it could be and you decide to change them later. That is something you can do yourself and save some of the labour costs (although it shouldn't be any extra labour to install new or used pads once they have them off already, so an extra $160 is way higher than it should be. Maybe all that extra labour cost is to replace the shoes on the other side as well, since you're supposed to replace all four at the same time, and all four come together when you buy new shoes anyways.)
Old 12-08-2006, 10:50 AM

Thanks GSGALLANT.

Got the call back will cost me $770 to do both axles with new bearings and new rear brakes. They said the shoes were soaked but it has only been a week since I noticed the problem and after the truck sat in the garage. I'm just going to have them do the bearing and seals on the side that is leaking and skip the brakes. I'll find someone else to do the other bearing and seal that is cheaper and have another place do the brakes with factory parts. Since the leak was only a week old and the didn't drive the truck after i found it leaking, any thoughts that the brakes should be for another few weeks or a month (until I can get the other seal and bearings done and then do the rear brakes)?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:56 PM

so what was it gear oil?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:22 PM

Yup. I had them just replace the bearing and seal that was broken. Cost me $308 at the dealer. My GF's brother-in-law works at the parts department at another Stealership so he has a mechanic that will change the other seals and bearings and rear brakes for $310 (for both parts and labor). Worse timing for this repair to occur with Christmas comming up and all.