General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Anyone Tired Engine Restorer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Tired Engine Restorer?

Has anyone tried the product Engine Restorer on their truck?

My truck has 157,000 miles on it, theres nothing really wrong with the engine, but i just wanted to see what it does.

Any suggestions?

3.0 V6 5Spd
Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you know i was just thinking about buying the stuff for my truck,
i had a buddy use it and he said it worked well on his truck
Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 PM

why are you even thinking about using a gimmick engine additive when you're engine's fine?

do you have low compression? smoke? bad gas mileage?

dont fix something that isn't broke with something that fixes broken things.

LOL. yeah sorry. but seriously...150k? why??

i'm assuming you mean the stuff that fixes lost cylinder compression. advertised with cars like a 300k mile mercury....and quotes of its success...? am i right or are we talking some other crazy additive?

and if it is the stuff i'm thinking of, where does it go, the fuel or the oil?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:04 AM

its all smoke and mirrors.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 AM

Give seafoam a shot.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:16 AM

i was gonna say seafoam and do this

1.first 2-3 cans mixed with 4-6 gallons of fuel, run to empty
2. then take a 1\3 can in the pcv valve and let it sit for an hour or so and burn it out
3. take the rest of the can through the pcv valve and try to let it sit longer than the previous can and burn it out ( i let mine sit for atleast a few hours)
4. you could put some in the motor block but i have never done it nor do i think you need to.. if you run dino oil then it maybe a good idea and follow the instructions on the can for that.

-- do all of this right before you change the oil. that way any carbon in the oil will get changed out with new fresh oil.. i could tell a huge difference in my truck with this at 75k miles.. i am at 92k and still get great gas mileage and smooth runnin'
Old 07-12-2007, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
i was gonna say seafoam and do this

1.first 2-3 cans mixed with 4-6 gallons of fuel, run to empty
2. then take a 1\3 can in the pcv valve and let it sit for an hour or so and burn it out
3. take the rest of the can through the pcv valve and try to let it sit longer than the previous can and burn it out ( i let mine sit for atleast a few hours)
4. you could put some in the motor block but i have never done it nor do i think you need to.. if you run dino oil then it maybe a good idea and follow the instructions on the can for that.

-- do all of this right before you change the oil. that way any carbon in the oil will get changed out with new fresh oil.. i could tell a huge difference in my truck with this at 75k miles.. i am at 92k and still get great gas mileage and smooth runnin'

X2......................
Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

I used it in my jeep... cant give it a thumbs up or down. Seafoam might be your best bet.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 AM

I always see people calling products like these gimmicks, but never do I see any proof of that and I mean dyno sheets, compression tests, etc.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:00 AM

most are crap... i have seen VOA's on lucas motor additives and the engine restorer and they practically didnt have crap in them.. waste of $$.. we all know seafoam works.

chrisnxl-- if you have ran sythetic in that motor for awhile you dont need anything.. or shouldnt i should say but if you feel like you have to seafoam has been "proven" so to speak to work..
Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM

just please don't put any crap in your oil. i dont mean to be harsh but unless you have visual tests, some sort of result, and scientifically layed out, you're risking the destruction of your engine.

I watched a video of the Lucas oil additive.

------EDITS------

it screwed up the anti-foaming agent ratio already in the oil, and basically ruined it's capacity to do it's job. maybe the additive would have been benificial...MAYBE: if it was incorporated in to the original manufacturer's list of chemical proportions. without that ratio there's too much oil, not enough anti-foaming agent, and the oil turns to foamy sludge.
\it looked like someone put water in the oil it was THAT aerated. plus, it no longer would flow like its supposed to and did not cling like its supposed to. it ruined it.

if i have time when i get home I'll find the video. it shows a cutaway viewing box of gears mixing the oil in each side of the test. so you can see for yourself.

Last edited by Figit090; 07-12-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Figit090
why are you even thinking about using a gimmick engine additive when you're engine's fine?

do you have low compression? smoke?
i havent used this kinda junk before, but if its low comp and/or smoke then i recommend bardhals 'no smoke'. that stuff works! thicker than honey on a winter day.
i had a motor w/ low comp (bad rings - burnt about a qt / tank-12 gal)
after adding this it used about 1 qt / 4 tanks and the performance was immediatlly (~5 min driving) noticible.

this was the lazy solution
Old 07-12-2007, 05:38 PM

hahah wow i feel kinda dumb now, i know it is gimmiky, but my curiousty got the best of me. You guys are totally right, if it isn't broken don't fix it. Good thing a didn't put it in yet, and i saved the receipt, cause that craps going back.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:15 PM

Hey Figit090 you said you watched a video about Lucas oil...out of curiosity what did it demonstrate or prove...where can I watch it too? I'm concerned cause I've used it a few times in my ol'truck from the advice of a friend/mechanic who's used it in his truck for years so if it truely is bad I want to know, thanks....oh and love the Supra, just saw one blow past my house same gen as you....mmmm the sweet sounds of turbo!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:10 PM

haha, thanks yeah i love supras to. i REALLY wish i had a turbo. in fact i just put a want ad up on craigslist for a 4x4 or turbo supe.

but anyway, if you have a while on that return you might wait, i just wanted to get your attention and get you to research it a bit more before adding it to your engine. i've heard good and bad but there are resources out there. its just difficult to find them. give me a bit and i'll see if i can't find that video.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:20 PM

BINGO!!

check this out folks. please read the whole thing if you want the full perspective

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

note:it's been a long time since i've seen it. for one i said video and obviously, there is none. oops. don't hurt me. photos are nice too

we ran into this on supramania in a thread about Bi-tron oil additive which i'm still not sure about the outcome of. i should re-vamp that discussion. oh, right...it's locked. heh. yeah the moderators called BS on that one. not sure if anything new came out of it but there was a guy pushing it on the forums. bad outcome.

anyways...if you guys are interested in more tech info i can access more. this has been discussed avidly on SM, partially due to the people with perfectionist stuff under the hood....micron oil filters and dual stage filtering... the guys who send their oil in for analysis after oil changes. not sure if anyone here does that.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the only additives i recommend are techron for once a month in the tank. and BG 44k and MOA at your big periodic maintenances. Seafoam if you have a problem like gummy carbs and need a serious intake cleaning. These are the only things I've actually witnessed positive results when using them myself. And i really try to only buy chevron gas. My lexus v8 with 230k pings with almost all other premiums, but accelerates butter smooth on the chevron.

STP has been on the market forever. What's that stuff do? I know people that endorse it but don't know much about it myself.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I've been using the Engine Restore stuff in my 22RE for the last few years.

I have a problem with oil burning under engine braking (high engine vacuum). Probably due to dried out valve guide seals. When I put the stuff in, it is almost like someone turned off the oil "switch". Before adding, I find that I can smell the burned oil even when rolling up to a stop light/sign. Afterwards, no sign (smell or visible smoke) until I use heavy engine braking, like down a long, steep downgrade in low gear at 3000+ RPMs.

I do ultimately intend to get the valve guide seals replaced, may even do a whole new EB head with oversized valves, etc. But if I can get a few more years out of what I have now, the stuff seems to be worth using.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:55 AM

X2.

I used to burn about 1 qt of oil every two tanks of gas. I use the cheapest 10w-40 I can find ($.89-$.99) and use Engine Restore ($4.55 @ wallyworld) at each oil change. I has reduced the the oil consumption to about 1 qt every three tanks of gas.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:15 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're going through oil that often, why do you even bother with oil changes? Isn't it getting changed every 15 tanks or so?

Quick Reply: Anyone Tired Engine Restorer?