General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

'85 22RE Turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'85 22RE Turbo questions

Are these "Rare" in any way? I have not seen any in my area. But i found one in a 85 4x4 truck in very good condition locally. Im gonna buy the whole truck tomorrow for a very good deal...The plans are to put the engine etc, in my '83....Do the performance parts for the normal 22RE still work in the Turbo 22RE? Im basically looking for just some general information on this engine.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'85 turbo? Not factory..
22R-TEs were only available '86-'87, and those were IFS.
Soooo either the owner thinks its an '85 since it was produced in '85 for the '86 MODEL YEAR ooooor its aftermarket, or a swap.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for the love of Pete....

Can someone verify the search box is not broke?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I VERIFY!!! its alive and kickin, but I vote the mods make it in 30 font and bright orange
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
lol, I vote for a "ooh, look! I found a Turbo!" and other ridiculous Turbo questions merge thread...
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the responses. I did search prior to starting this thread, and did not find the information i was looking for. I guess this forum is like 99% of all the other ones on the internet. Too many people waiting for the opportunity to cut people down instead of giving helpful information like what they were designed to do.

And thanks for the intelligent post toyota4x4. I found out the truck indeed happens to be a 1986. The man selling it got it confused with another one he has.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:42 AM

It's not you, man... It's the hundreds of differently phrased Q's that we've seem to have been recently bombarded with.

There just in no way to simply answer every differently worded, differently phrased questions.

The Turbo's were only offered for 2 years. And they never got a chance to stay so R&D was out. We got what we got... And all Turbo's were junk in the 80's. Since it was a burgeoning market in passenger cars.

They had some junk parts and engine management was crude at best. So modifying is OUT!

So are they rare? Yeah, sure... They were offered for 2 years?

Are they cool? Yes.

Are they difficult? Hell yes!

Can you mod them? Like all cars that question has varying degrees... It'll be costly and time consuming b/c of the parts they came factory with.

Are they anything special? Well, not really the "ooh" and "ahh" wears off VARY quickly with these trucks.

Try google and Wiki and the search bar.

Anything you need to know about the Turbo should be easy enough to find...

It's only been talked about for over 20 years now.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-20-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 AM

i have a 87 turbo finding aftermarket stuff is rare and not a lot of it now if you plan on useing this motor or truck invest in the ARP or some other company that has a good reputations head studd kit and invest in the best head gasket you can the number one problem i have with mine is the head gasket also keep it as cool as possible i didnt run a thermostat in mine in the summer when i lived down south i also had a guy make me a down pipe that is bigger than stock trying to keep the turbo temp down and ran a single chamber flowmaster but good luck its cool i get people that see the truck and the turbo badge ask if its orignal and what year so its fun but like tride4x2signN said they are difficult
Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 AM

I understand man, and thanks for the info. I was planning on putting it in my 83 4x4. But I am starting to wounder if I should just wait and find a normal 22r. I just assumed my transmission that came in the 83' would work with the 22rte..But if it is hard to find parts, etc for this engine I probably should stick with finding a 22R. It still seems like a good deal though, it is a '86 4x4, the cab, front fenders, hood, interior, and engine are all in pretty darn good shape. The IFS is complete and there. It has no tires/wheels and no bed. Not bad for 200 bucks. I figure i could put the engine/harness/gas tank in my '83, use the rear springs off of the '86 in the front of my '83. Use the dash and interior out of it in my 83. Heck i even thought about doing a complete cab swap putting the cab and front fenders/hood on my '83. The '86 cab is completely rust free along with the fender and hood. Thoughts/Comments?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM

An R engine is an R engine. All tranny's interchange.

You've got to think, you've got more than an engine swap planned... You have to retro fit EVERY wire associated with...

And then you inherent all the Turbo headaches...

IMO, you need to do the 20/22R Hybrid...

Just get a tall deck 22R up to 84 then throw a 20R head on...

Mine has stock cam and exhaust manifold and it flies IMO.

A cam and header and it's said to be knocking on 150 horsepower's door...

The (20R's) combustion chamber is the key to mid to high-end power IMO.

The plenum flows better and they say the head ports flow better.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-20-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by southernZ
I understand man, and thanks for the info. I was planning on putting it in my 83 4x4. But I am starting to wounder if I should just wait and find a normal 22r. I just assumed my transmission that came in the 83' would work with the 22rte..But if it is hard to find parts, etc for this engine I probably should stick with finding a 22R. It still seems like a good deal though, it is a '86 4x4, the cab, front fenders, hood, interior, and engine are all in pretty darn good shape. The IFS is complete and there. It has no tires/wheels and no bed. Not bad for 200 bucks. I figure i could put the engine/harness/gas tank in my '83, use the rear springs off of the '86 in the front of my '83. Use the dash and interior out of it in my 83. Heck i even thought about doing a complete cab swap putting the cab and front fenders/hood on my '83. The '86 cab is completely rust free along with the fender and hood. Thoughts/Comments?
ok so i think it would be cool. also i think you would be better off useing the 86 transmission and transfer it is still a five speed and the transfer is gear drive so just as strong. 200 is a good deal especaly if it is rust free you can find stock parts at autozone and such its just the after market is small real small. the harness is simple the only thing you will have to do is mearge the two harnesses at the fuze box because you will need the fuze for the fuel injection also fuel injection is great in toyotas IMO. also if you decide to you dont like the turbo its not hard to make it non turbo and you still get the transmission that from what i have heard is stronger. Now for all the people who may read this and say that i said that as fact i did not. I heard that it is but i dont know for sure. so my vote man is go for it at least you will be the only one and it will be interesting
Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 AM

Hell swap the cab if it makes it easyer
Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 AM

Hell swap the cab if it makes it easyer
Old 02-20-2011, 04:51 PM

Thanks for all of the opinions. I just got back with the truck. I plan on going ahead and putting the turbo engine in my '83. Im going to do some looking around and see about upgrading the turbo, and doing some precautionary stuff to the engine (new head
gasket, manifold gasket, oil leak fixing etc.) before i drop it in. I will either do a complete electrical swap from the '86 to my '83, or use the cab and front clip off of the '86 to my '83. Either one or the other, I have not decided yet. Its a hard choice though, Im a sucker for the way these 1st gens look. I know it is alot of work but hey that is why we do this right? I think it will be pretty sweet whenever it is complete.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 PM

Glad you decided to do it post a build thread I think the 83 cab would be very cool and unique let me know how it turns out
Old 02-25-2011, 04:16 PM

According to my 1985 brochure there was a turbo available but only in 2wd.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by soarerjzz30
According to my 1985 brochure there was a turbo available but only in 2wd.
Your brochure is accurate. I have one.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:56 PM

good luck on the swap i recently purchased a 1992 long-bed toyota truck and the turbo engine form an 87? 4runner. but the engine came with an aftermarket manifold that faces up instead of down and the garrett turbocharger from a powerstroke but i don't know where the manifold is from does anyone know how much boost you can push safely and without an aftermarket fuel pump and injectors??
Old 07-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by coffee-truck 22r-te
good luck on the swap i recently purchased a 1992 long-bed toyota truck and the turbo engine form an 87? 4runner. but the engine came with an aftermarket manifold that faces up instead of down and the garrett turbocharger from a powerstroke but i don't know where the manifold is from does anyone know how much boost you can push safely and without an aftermarket fuel pump and injectors??
I own a Turbo'd Supra and a Power Stroke. I can't see the 22R fitted with that Garrett making you happy.

No offense; but, asking how much boost you can run on that setup already has you headed for disappointment.

That said, knowing a few things can get you in the ball park.
-Flow rate of the stock fuel pump
-Flow rate of the stock injectors
-Base Fuel Pressure With Vac
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM

ya im trying to make my 22rte into just a standard 22re,the turbo is just a complete pain in the butt. if it isnt a blown head gasket,its a cracked manifold,or a blown up turbo. nothing but problems for me

Quick Reply: '85 22RE Turbo questions