General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

3.4 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yobroe
Is your truck done yet, and if so, what was the final cost for a rebuild? I have 184k right now and I have no power---just started happening last week, so it may be time for a rebuild myself.
Nope, it's not done yet. The delay is my fault... While I steadfastly stated that "I'M NOT BUILDING A RACING ENGINE!" I ended up looking into building a racing engine.

The hold-up has been waiting on a quote for some custom grinding on a set of stainless valves. The grinder was at a show, then on vacation for the first set of holidays, then gave a quote of a BOATLOAD of cash (over $2200 _retail_), and then went on vacation for the 2nd set of holidays. The net result is that I (and to his credit, Weasky2k) pulled the plug on walking down that route. I'll be going with standard valves, and possibly looking at having them locally ground.

The cams, stiffer springs and taller shims are done. I'll have those soon.

The port 'n polish on the heads and final machining on the block have been waiting to see what was going to happen on the valves. So now that that issue's been resolved, the machining work can continue.

The valve body has been done, IPT did it _the same day_ they got it, but of course I won't know how that feels until the engine's done.

It dawned on me today that I should take this chance to get my injectors cleaned and spec'd. I'd done other sets, but not the 370's that are in there now. So that'll happen this week too.

I'd say I'm looking at the end of January to have it all back together.

Cost wise... sorry, but like I said earlier, the cost variances in here are huge. A lot of the labor charges are "buddy" charges, the parts pricing is all over the map of cost/retail/custom. The end result is that this will be anything but a "typical" rebuild, and as such, I just don't feel comfortable quoting numbers.

Safe to say though, that it's a LOT less than what a dealer would charge.

Originally Posted by 89934runr
Mark-

Even though he's not a fan of building compression by milling the heads, it might be required. If that is so- then get a piston with a lower compression height and or compression rating. The othe thing to consider is that milling the head changes valve timing events very slightly- not that it can't be compensated for. Some tricks are to use a fatter head gasket to compensate for the milling (same trick used to lower compression). At 163K, you might be asking a bit much on the metallurgy of the stock pistons, esp if you're making boost.

I'd also look into better rods, as the stock 3.4 rods aren't the top of the heap. They'll do fine for a n/a DD, but if you're like me (sounds like it), you'll go for something a bit stronger. Pauter, Crower, Scat? My boost-built 3.4 will have a beefier bottom end by way of crank prep and much better rods, with custom pistons.
Hey there... THANK YOU for the input. I'll send this off to the machinist. I'm learning a LOT through the process, but not nearly enough to feel comfortable commenting.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mark,

Sorry to hear about your engine woes...Looks like you're going to come out of it real cool.

As you know, we have the same truck so I'm going to try to learn from your experience. With only 113K and no blower I hopefully have some wiggle room.

Keep us posted, guy. We're interested and feel for ya.:cry:

Mick
Old 01-01-2007, 02:08 PM

MICK! DOOD! Hey man! Like what's happenin'?!

Thanks for popping in, and yeah, I hope this all flushes out okay. It'll be a bit stressful turning the key that first time, but I bet I'll get used it it fairly quick.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Somehow I missed this thread. Anyways, looks like you're in a good position to add some more ponies!

Good luck, Mark. Keep us posted.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Now that I look at that first picture closer, it looks like a very similar chip in your valve that someone else with a N/A 3.4L got in his. He was very aggressive with the motor (desert racing) which would put it in a similar category as your driving habits it seems. He never did find out where that piece went to in the engine during the rebuild....
Old 01-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tanto
Now that I look at that first picture closer, it looks like a very similar chip in your valve that someone else with a N/A 3.4L got in his. He was very aggressive with the motor (desert racing) which would put it in a similar category as your driving habits it seems. He never did find out where that piece went to in the engine during the rebuild....
Yeah, Daryl (the real guying doing the work, I'm just faking it) was curious too. He said the bottom end of the engine looked pretty dern good, so I may have simply gotten lucky and the piece flew out the pipe. I'll probably never know, unless I find that it's clogging my cat at some point.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 AM

sux to see your runner being down for a rebuild. your setup seems to be wacked out to cause that. rebuilding it is one thing, but hope it doesn't happen again.

good luck with the 3weeks wait and assembly.

163k miles is nothing if maintenance kept regularly. i can reassured that your bottom end can go for another 100k.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by profuse007
sux to see your runner being down for a rebuild. your setup seems to be whacked out to cause that. rebuilding it is one thing, but hope it doesn't happen again.
Yeah, me too.

163k miles is nothing if maintenance kept regularly. i can reassured that your bottom end can go for another 100k.
Yeup, I know. I'm not worried about the bottom end outside of what 89934runr said above in terms of the connecting rods handling the additional HP.

It'll all work out.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't worry too much on the bottom end because those 3.4L motors are built very stout. Unless you're approaching 500 crank HP you should still be ok (obviously watching combustion temps is critical to it's longevity). From the pics it looks like you'll probably find that piece of valve in the exhaust somewhere (which is lucky for you it wasn't smashing around inside the combustion chamber for long). Definately keep us filled in on the progress.

I also hear you on the car payment. I've been wanting to move up to a 4th gen 4runner for a while (likely a 2005 4.0L 4WD), but I just can't bring myself to put up with payments again. I'll probably wait a few more 2-3 years for them to come down in price (who cares about mileage!). In the meantime, it's just so nice to have that monkey off your back, isn't it?!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:11 AM

Thanks Jamie.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Ah Mark, sorry to hear about your engine trouble. Such is the price that must be paid to the supercharging gods I suppose... It could be that in the future I will have a similar problem, so I hope to hear that everything ends up fixed and O.K.

I PM'ed you about something too. PM me back when you get the chance...
Old 01-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ah dude, just read the whole thread.. sounds like you use your truck like it's meant to be used! lol...
JTLYK, Paradise racing now cleans/balances/flows injectors... 20 bucks a pop... http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80076
Old 01-06-2007, 10:26 PM

Hey Greg!

Yeah, I dunno about "use your truck like it's meant to be used!", I think it's more like "use your truck like it was a Ferrari with suspension".

Injector wise, I use a guy that's close to me.. Witchhunter Performance:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f39/witchhunter-performance-92823/

He's cheap, close, does good work and is getting to know me in person.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:36 PM

Status update...
  • The block is done, it should go back into the truck this coming week.
  • The block has new bearings, new oil pump, new pistons, new rings, full gasket set.
  • I'll meet with the machinist tomorrow when DD & I go to pick up the block. One thing we'll be talking about is doing a grind on the intake valves.
  • The port & polish will happen this coming week.
  • I'll have the cams, shims and springs next weekend. That'll let the machinist get the top end back together.
  • The Valve Body came back from IPT, and it's sitting waiting to be installed. This is one price I can share - $645 including Priority Mail out, and UPS ground coming back. Add to that the cost of 6-7 quarts of ATF.
I THINK the key will be turned the weekend of the 20th. (yes, _January_ 20th!)

{itch} {itch} {itch}

Last edited by midiwall; 01-06-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 PM

Damn, you're always one step ahead of me, i suggest talking to gadget about head porting on a 5vz, i remember him saying there isnt much that needs to be done except for a few parts... you should get in touch with him before you put it all back together, he's done more than a few 5vz's (as you know)

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:48 PM

Greg - you have a PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 AM

You too!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:37 AM

Update!

I went to Vancouver! Which means... I met Johnny! Which means... I have cams!

Well, technically the machinist has the cams and is putting the heads back together.

Port & polish this week along with a bit of grinding on the valves to get more flow; D's thinking that the block may go back in yet this week; My injectors are cleaned and spec'd (thank you Gordon!)

If we can get our schedules in synch, I may be turning the key next Sunday!
Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Update!

If we can get our schedules in synch, I may be turning the key next Sunday!
Uh... Mark.... where do you get friends that work during SuperBowl playoffs?

In any event, we have our collective fingers crossed!!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rdharper
Uh... Mark.... where do you get friends that work during SuperBowl playoffs?
OH CRAP!

Wait.. NEXT Sunday is the bye week. I think I may be okay!

Quick Reply: 3.4 Rebuild