Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Tired of flip flopping and losing sleep - LIFT ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tired of flip flopping and losing sleep - LIFT ?

OK, I was drooling over the Sonoran 1.2 set up for about 4 months, I saved up my money, but I cant bring myself to spend that kind of cash.
I see alot of fellas here with the Old Mn Emu set ups and I like them, but I see that most of the 3rd gen 4Runners get a "higher in the front" look with that set up. The wheel well gap looks taller in the front than the back.
Why is that?
I picked out this set up from both Toytec and TRDparts4u.com

Front coil options: 881coils- (std) add top plate spacers for 3 inch lift
Top Plate spacers: No top plate spacers
Rear coil options: OME 890 rear coils
Normal or comfort shocks: New 90004 Sport shocks & N86 (normal) (+ $15.00)
Front shocks: Unassembled

Toytec is about $30 more expensive. I will still buy the SS panhard bar and brake lines to finish the rear end.
My concern is the wheel well/ tire gap in the front - if I leave out the trim spacer in the front will this help not have the gap in the front be higher than the rear? Can I put a trim spacer in the back to bring it up alittle?
My truck is a 2002 4runner and my Daily driver, but also my camp truck/kid hauler/ trailer puller. Will the 890s be up to the weight challenge, or do I go heavy duty rear springs?
Thanks in advance
Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 AM

if you put 881's in the front without spacers(1.50"-1.75" lift) and 890's in the rear (3.0") it will be higher in the BACK. I am in the same boat as you and from what I have read it will be a bit highet in the back even with the top plate spacer and 881's.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 AM

I dont mind the rake being higher in the rear - half inch to one inch is fine. When its full of my kids and camp gear it will likely settle out level.
I guess my hang up now is the price difference between the set up I listed above, and the SS 1.2 kit is only about $200 after shipping.
Granted, thats $200 I need to use for tires in the next couple months, but I guess my question is the Sonoran kit THAT much more superior? I am not an avid offraoder, but we play in the deep snow up on Mt St Helens, and I do go driving around in the mountain roads alot. No Moab trips or rock crawling for me, so I dont NEED the #1 super offroad set up.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get 10mm trim packers for the rear (to use with the 890s). They take about 5-10 min. to install. I have a new OME 883/891 lift with the comfort shocks on the way and if it has more rake in the front, I'll probably do the trim packers - just waiting to see how it will sit when it's all on...
Old 12-04-2009, 03:15 PM

There is a way to get the OME stuff sent to a will call at their facility in Auburn, you could save on shipping that way. I am in the same boat as you, I want the SS1.2 lift, but the $1200 +shipping is a tough one.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how much lift does the 1.2 kit net???
Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 PM

I really liked my ome lift it handled very nice on the road. If you tow I would recommend the HD springs. I could put lots of weight on them and they didn't care. When the back was empty it was a little stiff but not bad.
http://www.gentryoffroad.com/php/gen...uctreview/ome/

Are you putting the lift on so it will do better offroad or is it mainly for looks?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Both looks and for offroading/hauling weight.
The SS 1.2 seems like its more for serious offroad use for places like Colorado or Moab. We just have snow and trails around here.
Rusm - can that be done from Toytec or TRDparts4u?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Either set up will serve you well, I've installed both and been in vehicles with both. Just really boils down to what you want and what you want to spend. I had an OME setup on my 00 4Runner and it rode well.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Cool thanks. How about the trim spacers for the rear? Will they help bring the rear end up alittle?
And is there a height difference from thr 890s to the 891s for the rear? I assumed the Heavy Duty coils are taller?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Banned

The front will be lower than the rear as it should be so you won't need trim spacers for the rear. HD coils are just able to take more weight, don't think they are any taller. Been a long time since I messed with my 3rd gen.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
The front will be lower than the rear as it should be so you won't need trim spacers for the rear. HD coils are just able to take more weight, don't think they are any taller. Been a long time since I messed with my 3rd gen.

Thats with the 881s front and 891 rear, correct? Any advantage of a 882 front? I dont think I will get an after market ARB/TJM type bumper anytime soon - years maybe, any risk of CV damage?
I have a Revtek spacer now, can I reuse any componets from that - the Diff drop stays, I understand that much.
Thanks alot rabbit - I see you have this on your website. If its OK with you, can I call you about this?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deceptiwave
Thats with the 881s front and 891 rear, correct? Any advantage of a 882 front? I dont think I will get an after market ARB/TJM type bumper anytime soon - years maybe, any risk of CV damage?
I have a Revtek spacer now, can I reuse any componets from that - the Diff drop stays, I understand that much.
Thanks alot rabbit - I see you have this on your website. If its OK with you, can I call you about this?
With any of the combos done right the front will be lower, supposed to be.

I had 882s and 891s, don't remember shocks but they weren't comfort, and and ARB w/ M8000 Warn Winch, it was perfect. Without a heavy front end 882s are too much.

This was my 2000.

Call me? Sure, just not tonight. I'm going to bed.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 PM

Thats pretty much what I want right there. Thanks.
It'll be next week anyway, I am working this week- booo work!
Thnaks alot for the help, I'm sure you get these noob questions alot.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:59 AM

OK, another dumb question - Could I use Bilstein Landcruiser 5125s or 5100s in the rear with the 890 coils? What would the difference be with the 5100 VS 5125?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:41 AM

I am currently running the OME setup you are wanting, but with the 3/4" front spacer from Toytec and the comfort ride shocks. The ride quality is excellent. I am also running 255/85/16 BFG KM2s. I did the front spacer to level the front and rear and to give me that extra clearance for the 33.5" tall tire. IMO, it sits level with no larger gap than the rear.

This was before the 3/4" spacer was added up front and before the KM2s. As you can see it sits front low and that is why my two Labs in that back.

Now after and level:

Old 12-05-2009, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great shots ScottyC

Deceptiwave-the Sonoran kits cost a little more. Like you, I really thought I could piece out my own lift and save some money. Yes- I did save a bit of money, but the Sonoran kit is just that-a kit of all the pieces put together. Some are unique but my point is they are all designed to work together for good lift and great ride.

You can get more lift-you can get better ride but if you want them both I would encourage you to spend the extra money and do it right the first time. If you do your own labor this may not apply to you if you enjoy futzing with this stuff over and over to get the best combo.

There are so many combos out there. I started with 881s for my fronts and 891s for my rears.

Over time the 891s got too stiff for my taste-they were great when my back end had 500 lbs of rock loaded up but too jouncy when my rig was just a daily driver.

Exactly as Sonoran had warned me through their "FAQ section of 96-02 3rd gen Runner lifts" pay heed Old Man Emu springs are for increased load not necessarily for best lift.

I am still not 100% satisfied with my ride quality but again the combinations are endless. You can pick comfort shocks from Old Man Emu or standard stiffness.

What Sonoran has done is provide the best combos out there in use with one another. The rest of us kind of pick and choose our pieces based on conversations just like this and hope it all works out well. And then tweak as needed.

If time is money to you -then just do it once and do it right is my .02.

I have yet to read even one post of a dis-satisfied Sonoran customer. Steve of Sonoran will discuss any issue with you and back up his products and I believe even installs.

One day I will go full boat to Sonoran and then just watch I will find some other cool new toy and then you lucky stiffs will scavenge all my old lift parts. Happens everyday!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 AM

Deceptiwave, heard back from the guy that told me about getting the parts and he said you can get pretty much any OME retailer to set up a will-call for you. He recommended Cruiser Outfitters.
I am planning on getting the SS budget coilovers, diff drop, and extended brake line (or I mught get this from the other retailer) then OME 890 springs, comfort shocks and panhard bracket (or I might just cut and weld) from another retailer.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:18 PM

Cool, thanks alot guys. Too many damn options!