Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Timing/Valve Noise...Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing/Valve Noise...Help

What's up. I just created my account and I hope I can help some of you out but right now I need the help. I've got an 86 short bed pick-up and I just rebuilt the 22r motor. I've driven it about 300 miles so far but it's got a tapping noise coming from the timing chain/valve cover area that I just can't get rid of. Someone told me to use a dowel to pinpoint the noise area and it sounded like it was coming from everywhere. I finally bought a stethascope and the tapping sounded very distinct at the top of the timing chain cover right below that half circle shaped rubber piece that plugs the underside of the valve cover. I just installed the timing chain kit from a rebuild kit and the valve lash has been checked several times. I did overheat it from a water leak but everything is tightened up now. Could the cam sprocket make this noise? Is it the valvetrain? I used the original rocker arm assembly with a new stock cam. There's good power and it starts fine but that noise won't go away. Any direction would be much appreciated.

Oh yeah! I did the timing with an inductive pickup light and instead of directly hitting the 5btdc mark everytime it would instead flutter around it.

Last edited by 86carbPU; 01-27-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: memory
Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know it could be considered a dumb question, but was the valve lash adjusted when it was hot, and was it done right? I've tried to do valve lash a few times and can get it close, but I just dont have the knack to get it exact (yet). I have a friend who can get it dead on everytime... makes me mad.

Besides that, while the valve cover is off for checking the lash, look down in the front and see if you can tell if the timing chain guides are all still there, missing parts of those will make some noise.

I dont see how the cam sprocket could make the noise, so i wouldnt worry about that.

Another question, is a single row or double row chain?