Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Tapping felt through thermostat cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapping felt through thermostat cover

This is a great, informative website you guys have. I'm glad I found you.
I've searched for similar threads to my "problem" with no exact match found. There's plenty written on ticking, tapping, clicking and knocking, but none of the threads that I've read mentioned the description of a VERY noticeable tapping felt registering through the thermostat housing, as in my truck. I have a 1990 extra cab, manual, w/3vze - 190,000.

It starts easy, runs great, just passed smog. It just has this light/moderate, ticking/tapping/knocking/diesel-sounding noise coming from the front of the engine. The noise can either be noticeable or not - usually is. It goes away (drowned out by engine roar I presume) at higher rpms. It almost sounds like something tapping against a shroud most of the time, therefore not a real "hard" tap. Although it does follow the rpms up and down with a rather sharp ticking. It's not really noticeable from the cab unless it's quiet out and at idle.

Again, the one difference in everything that I've read is that putting my finger on the Thermostat housing there is a steady beat to the tapping noise. I can also feel it, although less so, on the water hoses leading from the thermostat. I can barely feel it on the timing belt cover. There is no other place on the engine that I feel it, even immediately adjacent to those spots mentioned above. Everywhere else is smooth.

Not being much of an auto mechanic, I thought it might be a water pump sort of thing. I dropped the belts from the alternator and steering pump, thinking I could isolate the water pump, and started the truck for a couple seconds. The noise was still there and still registering through the same places.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:46 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
well water pump is drivin by the timing belt on that moter. When was the last time the timing belt was changed? It could be from the idler pulleys or tensioner pulley on the timing belt.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh, so I didn't isolate anything with dropping the drive belts. I kinda thought that. Also I just discovered that I was wrong about the thermostat housing. The tapping noise is coming through the water outlet (top of the motor).

Timing belt, idlers, water pump, etc all appear to have been replaced about 60k ago.