See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Suspension Suggestions -2nd gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Suggestions -2nd gen 4runner

I have a 94 4runner and my shocks are getting pretty old. I went to Les Schaub today and got a quote for new shocks. They quoted me for Mountain Ryder XT shocks installed for $245. Are these shocks any good or am I better off buying from somewhere else and installing them myself. I've never done shocks but they seem pretty straightforward.

They also quoted me $250 to lift the rear 1.5" and they I could adjust the torsion bars. I don't need the lift that bad but I think it would look good and help when the snow comes. Again, is this something I could do myself or is it complicated?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM

I've never heard of those shocks before. Search around, people like their Rancho's and OME shocks. $250 might be a little high for lifting the rear, especially when you can get new springs for around $60-80 (per spring) and install them yourself in 1-2 hours. Swapping out springs and shocks is pretty easy. If you can turn a wrench, you can probably do it pretty easily. The only hard part would be compressing the new springs to get them back on the vehicle. Most people also wouldn't recommend cranking your tbars, but it's up to you. Go with a pair of bj spacers and relax your tbars. Good luck with your build, hope I helped out

Click this link for prices on 2nd gen 4Runner suspension parts:
http://rocky-road.com/4runner.html

Here's a good thread to read about lifting 2nd gen 4Runners, courtesy of AxleIke:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...trucks-124467/
Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM

I couldn't find any reviews for those shocks so I was wondering if anybody knew about them. I am probably going to say no for the lift for now. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help!
Old 11-04-2007, 03:48 AM

Personaly, I would only let Schwabby Mount and balance my tires or sell me wheel and tires... Thay are flat out incompetent when it comes to anything but the mounting and balancing machine. Numerous times, they have screwed up the wheel studs on various personal and aquaintances vehicles. Putting the Lug nuts in the socket and just slaming them on is just the begining, Ask me how I know...

Go with OME shocks and springs with a set of Ball Joint spacers. 245 to mount some shocks is rediculous, and frankly, thier shocks are GARBAGE...

Cheers

DAve
Old 11-04-2007, 03:58 AM

I suggest you take that $245 and go buy a set of Bilstein HD shocks for your rig, try eBay if nobody around you will sell them at that price, and mount them yourself.
Its an easy job and you will get three things out of it:
1.) Self satisfaction of doing it yourself, pride brother, pride!
2.) You can do a thorough check of the under-carriage while you're under there and know what else may need attention, never a bad thing!
3.) You will have a much better ride!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will purchase some and do it myself then, seems like a pretty straightforward job. First I have to fix my brake lights though so I can drive it...
Old 01-23-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lift

i have a 95 4runner with a 3 inch body lift and i bought a 5 inch suspension lift that only has the front lift kit how can i lift the rear for cheap
Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
air bags??? coils springs?? how cheap is cheap?? there is a right and awrong way to do things... let us know your setup and money your worknig with.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by yotaman8819
i have a 95 4runner with a 3 inch body lift and i bought a 5 inch suspension lift that only has the front lift kit how can i lift the rear for cheap
You can get some lift springs, such as AllProOffroad or Performance Products or use the FJ80 Landcruiser coils and/or add a coil spring spacer:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ngSpacer.shtml
Old 01-23-2008, 02:26 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What size tire are you planning on running that you need so much lift.

Will this truck ever see offroad, or just the mall/highschool parking lot?

Last edited by tc; 01-23-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I got 4 shocks for $120. Skyjacker Nitros. I don't go off-roading so these are fine for me. I did get OME coils for the rear. They were $120 for both. Go ahead and change your steering stabilizer too.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by WI_Mike
I have a 94 4runner and my shocks are getting pretty old. I went to Les Schaub today and got a quote for new shocks. They quoted me for Mountain Ryder XT shocks installed for $245. Are these shocks any good or am I better off buying from somewhere else and installing them myself. I've never done shocks but they seem pretty straightforward.

They also quoted me $250 to lift the rear 1.5" and they I could adjust the torsion bars. I don't need the lift that bad but I think it would look good and help when the snow comes. Again, is this something I could do myself or is it complicated?
I might suggest before you spend any money you consider what you want to do with this truck. For example, if you ever want to install ball joint spacers, those Bilsteins won't be long enough.

What uses will the truck see? From there the group can help to steer you towards a solution that will work for you.

Frank
Old 01-27-2008, 04:24 PM

lift

im either putting 35 or 36 inch tires and yes i am takin it offroad usually at the superlift park in hot springs do i need to get a panhard drop bracket if i get the fj80 springs and will the 80 springs lift it enought to be level with the front bc its a 5 inch suspension lift in the front and im cranking the torsion bars a little to get some more room
Old 01-27-2008, 04:30 PM

im pretty sure ill need at least 5 or 6 inches of lift in the rear i want to do it the right way though so let me know wut yall think i should do thanks
Old 01-27-2008, 04:38 PM
tc
Contributing Member

You should SAS then. You'll probably end up doing it anyways, save the money by not buying a bracket lift you'll end up taking off anyways.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:46 PM

I agree. I would SAS with all the axle upgrades. The IFS with a bracket lift will likely fail often. You'll need to regear to 5.71's.

One thing you need to remember regarding the clearing of tires is it's not just the lift, it's does the tire clear when the suspension is compressed. You can crank torsions, etc... but if it rubs bad when compressed it is not good. That's where a body lift can be helpful as it creates more tire clearance.

Frank
Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 PM

get a allpro 5inch longtravel sas kit it will clear the tires you want to run
Old 01-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
damn this thread was hijacked!!!! how does you wanting to figure out how to lift the rear of your 4runner going to help WI_mike figure out what shocks to run.....

Originally Posted by WI_Mike

i too dont let les schaubs do anything to my truck anymore...... i think they purposely hire the dumbest people they can find........
I've had great luck the ProComp ES9000s shocks. http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT5411T100423.aspx

save the 100 bucks buy the procomps and do it your self. its not that hard with simple hand tools.

Last edited by Tofer; 01-27-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by yotaman8819
im either putting 35 or 36 inch tires and yes i am takin it offroad usually at the superlift park in hot springs do i need to get a panhard drop bracket if i get the fj80 springs and will the 80 springs lift it enought to be level with the front bc its a 5 inch suspension lift in the front and im cranking the torsion bars a little to get some more room
This is where the thread turned directions.

Frank
Old 01-28-2008, 12:53 PM

for rear run f150 coils and a set of rancho rs5000 that should be douable with your budget

Quick Reply: Suspension Suggestions -2nd gen 4runner