Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

suspension lift kit help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LTrunner
it's only like that if you are not good a clucth work
besides after the SAS it will be dual cases

If you play in the big rocks, like we have out here in Southern Arizona, then, for the vast majority of people, it's like that no matter how many xfer cases they have

Funny, how some of the those that ran really, really low gearing (manual trannies) complain about over running their brakes at the top of steep, technical obstacles, etc. This is before they've swapped to auto trannies and don't have that problem any more.

We can always tell, even looking at video, who has the manual trannies and who has autos

As it's said, the manual tranny crowd takes "easy" obstacles and makes 'em look hard, while the auto tranny crowd takes "hard" obstacles and makes 'em look easy

So many that I know of have dumped their manual trannies in favor of the auto and they all, without a single exception, say the same thing, which is that they'd never go back

Fred
Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it comes down to 2 things...personal preferance...and the fact that ANY touqre converter sucks in comparison to a clucth
on average 20% of HP is lost at an auto's TC...where as a manual it's about 5-10% at the clucth

Last edited by LTrunner; 05-04-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Oh oh, you're taking a perfectly great machine and turning it into one of those, "jerk, jeck, stall, jerk, hop" vehicles

Fred
No he's taking a soccer mom's transmission out and growing his truck some balls!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM

anyone can drive an auto...
Old 05-11-2008, 01:00 PM

anyone can drive an auto...
Actually quite untrue.
Driving an auto (rocks) requires completely different technique than driving a manual (rock crawling).
The few people that I've met that "complained" about their auto in the rocks simply didn't know how to rock crawl with it.
Shown how to use it, none of them would every revert back to a manual.
No one I know that's either swapped in an auto tranny or bought a vehicle with an auto, and wheels in the rocks, would every go back.
Funny if one looks at what most of the "big boys" wheel with

Fred
Old 05-11-2008, 01:02 PM

i<SNIP>
ANY touqre converter sucks in comparison to a clucth
on average 20% of HP is lost at an auto's TC...where as a manual it's about 5-10% at the clucth
Just coming from someone who doesn't know how to drive an auto offroad.

Please post up some references to your numbers so that we all know that you aren't simply buying bad rope.

Fred
Old 05-11-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Autos are nice in rocks and also in sand. Often on a dune, you can shift a manual without losing too much speed. An auto, however, you can.

I had a stick and when I think about going back, then needing dual cases, drive shafts.... or just run an auto and be done with it, the auto wins. sure it sucks up power to operate but it's worth it. The wife likes it too which makes it easier to go wheeling when she wants to go as bad as youdo.

You do need to two foot with the auto which is not hard to learn.

Frank
Old 05-11-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by elripster
Autos are nice in rocks and also in sand. Often on a dune, you can shift a manual without losing too much speed. An auto, however, you can.

I had a stick and when I think about going back, then needing dual cases, drive shafts.... or just run an auto and be done with it, the auto wins. sure it sucks up power to operate but it's worth it. The wife likes it too which makes it easier to go wheeling when she wants to go as bad as youdo.

You do need to two foot with the auto which is not hard to learn.

Frank

Learning to use two feet with the auto is much easier to learn than learning to use the three feet that you need with a manual

Fred
Old 05-11-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Hopefully you changes shocks also, else you're giving up some articulation.
Additionally the rear trackbar would require some tending to, along with the LSPV.

Fred
ya im going to soon ... i still have 4 months till i get my license but i still occasionally drive it.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM

i 2 foot my auto all the time and it still sucks...the fact that the torque converter sucks and is slipping dosen't help...it really dosen't matter what auto you have with big tires and rock crawling soon your TC WILL SLIP...then it's all down hill...also on a side note hot haveing to worry about the trans over heating is good
Old 05-12-2008, 04:09 PM

I've driven a 5 speed(86) and auto(92) and the auto is far better on the trail and on the freeway.

Now back to the original topic.

I have a 92 4Runner with Eibach springs in the rear and Downey torsion bars resulting in 1.5"-2.0" of lift over stock(cost about $250). With 32s and no sway bars I get a little rubbing at all four corners in extreme situations. Replacing the stock rear bumper and tow bar with a Marlin rear bumper lifted the rear an additional quarter inch.

It is my understanding that the OME springs, torsions and shocks with rear spacers and ball joint spacers will allow 33s with little or no rubbing.