Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Super Noob

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Noob

been searching and have my flame suit on already so you already know what it is.

wondering what is the best way to lift a new to me 97 taco 3 inches or so. by best I mean reasonable $ after all this thing is IFS.... .... budget is about a g

thanks in advance
Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM

body lift if you want to go cheap.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...scon/5533.html
Old 08-13-2007, 09:34 PM

What kind of offroading are you planning on doing with your taco? Rock crawling? going fast on trails? jumping it? mall crawling it? give us an idea of where you plan on taking your truck and we'll be able to give you a better idea of what you should be looking at.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 PM

some companies to look at in the meantime:

Toytec: http://www.toyteclifts.com/9504tacoc...ml#OMEcoilkits

Revtek: http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504revtektaco.htm

Last edited by TrackRunner; 08-13-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 AM

thanks for all the replys. need nothing wild just like doing things right the first time.

I"m thinking revtek, but what is prefered blocks or add a leaf? seems odd to a x jeeper that a blocked rear suspension is more $ than a fully leafed suspension?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spacers all the way!!! If you can/ If you want a true budget suspension lift.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think tires before lift...the point of lift is to fit bigger tires.

Spacers and a 1" body lift may give you enough to run 33's...I'm not sure though...

What are you looking to run?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 AM

yeah, this is my 5th 4x4, x hard core jeeper so I know about lifts, just not toyota. I"ll see if I can dig some pics up

my plan is simple, I have a set of re-chromed sequoi 17x7.5 factory offset wheels the split 5 spoke, hot IMO. I will mount those on a set of 1 inch spidertrax wheel spacers (best in the buisness, used them on blown V8s and low low gearing) these wheel will give my ideal BS and bling bling. run the revtek 3 inch, and run 33s in equivalant size for a 17 inch rim. this truck already has trd exhaust and trd second gen super charger
Old 08-14-2007, 10:23 AM

please go suspension fabtech, superlift, procomp, all sell kits "A body lift is like sleeping with a blow up doll it might make you feel better now but in the morning it just doesn't feel right." that is the best advice i can give you.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by TacoTime
this truck already has trd exhaust and trd second gen super charger
Just out of curiosity, do you have supporting mods for your supercharger? it's a hot topic round these parts
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 4Runner92sr5
please go suspension fabtech, superlift, procomp, all sell kits "A body lift is like sleeping with a blow up doll it might make you feel better now but in the morning it just doesn't feel right." that is the best advice i can give you.
HAHAHAHA
Old 08-14-2007, 12:05 PM

No mention of body lift, dude you guys think i'm ghey, well I am on the interweb justifying myself so don't hold that against me.

a mild body lift may offer some benefits but to be honest, these so called suspension lifts seem to be more like spacers, in the jeep world we call these body lifts offering no real suspension components, and to me is not much better than a body lift. but then again you can't do much b/c of the inherent properties of IFS.

Not trying to knock IFS, this truck was purchased because I'm touring the west coast, Alaska to Mexico, and my current ride is too flashy, huge, and unreliable for such a trip. purda vida
Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4Runner92sr5
LMAO!!! That is worthy to be put into a sig.!!!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 PM

I already know it's not as good as a yota, but a little respect

Last edited by TacoTime; 08-14-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:23 PM

hey you can knock IFS all you want thats why i SASed haha doesn't bother me one bit, but here in the TOYOTA world IFS is a problem and you just gotta deal with it those suspension kits mainly skyjacker and procomp give you better travel then stock just not nearly as much as people with a SFA are used to. They offer the lifting bracket for the front with longer coilovers for potentially longer travel. But new longer coilovers and new leaf springs i would consider real suspension components. You can go that route or do an SAS.

Last edited by 4Runner92sr5; 08-14-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YM13
LMAO!!! That is worthy to be put into a sig.!!!
I agree!

Nice jeep too BTW.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:33 PM

thanks for the info, yeah I realize the offer beefier suspension but its out of the question, I searched and found conversions, wide track, fiber glass fenders yada yada. too much coin and too much time to instal.

but I"m not affraid to say it, this truck will never be hardcore, im not a mall crawler type I just want a decent lift so I can have best of both worlds while I get my surf on.

thanks 92 sr5, and for your jeep experience, those guys were fags. they appear in all crowds even yota, jeep, rover, whatever when your a fag your a fag
Old 08-14-2007, 01:16 PM

If your not planning to wheel it hard, and your looking for the Lifted Look with bigger tires go with Coil Spacers up front, and Blocks or Leafs in the rear!!

If you want a good performing Suspension setup that runs well on-road, and off-road, go with a 'bracket lift' set-up (Pro-Comp, Skyjacker, etc)

If you want to build an Off-roading, rock crawling machine, save your money now and go to a Solid Axle set-up
Old 08-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 97Limited
If your not planning to wheel it hard, and your looking for the Lifted Look with bigger tires go with Coil Spacers up front, and Blocks or Leafs in the rear!!

If you want a good performing Suspension setup that runs well on-road, and off-road, go with a 'bracket lift' set-up (Pro-Comp, Skyjacker, etc)

If you want to build an Off-roading, rock crawling machine, save your money now and go to a Solid Axle set-up
x2... If I could go back and do it all over again, I would have SAS'd from the beginning. But for what it sounds like your plans are, some spacers and blocks will be just fine.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:08 PM

looked for pics of the actual kit, for both skyjacker and procomp and found nothing, all the lift images were of the truck. actually skyjacker did not offer any lift for the tacoma. only showed FJ

anyone have a list of parts or pics for the procomp 4 inch?

I see the traction bars but thats about it.

Quick Reply: Super Noob