Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Stupid Theives-Broken Window

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Theives-Broken Window

woke up this morning to the drivers side second door window smashed and my amp and sub gone. filed a police report (insurance reasons doubt it will come up). my question is where is the best place to sources a new window. is this something i can replace myself (mechanically inclined...i think). or is there some special window setting machine needed. thanks for all the help in advance
David
Old 07-08-2007, 08:16 AM

you should be able to do it yourself no problem.

i know how you feel, exact same thing happened to me but the front driverside window. 3rd day i had my 4runner.

as for where to get it, i would hit the phonebook and start callin around!

even check some salvage yards.

now i keep my subs covered up with an airline blanket at all times, and i had an alarm put in.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:17 AM

hit up the junk yard and take it out yourself, that'll show you how it goes back in. I haven't replaced any on mine but I'm pretty sure it gets glued into a track
Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 AM

there are some clips at the bottom it glues into.

i found some plastic/glass perma-weld epoxy down at the auto parts store that works AMAZING for that.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 AM

well i had the amp under my driver seat and the second row was folded down. so they took my sub and then folded the seats back and took my amp. i've already hit the phone book but being sunday alot of places around are closed

Last edited by PoleVaulter95; 07-08-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I hate thieves.

Check into a good alarm system too, and have a paper installed with it.
That way if the alarm goes off and you do not hear it, if you keep the pager by your nightstand, you will hear that.

My remote has the paper built in, many alarms now come this way.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:28 AM

you know, all that means is it was someone ya know, which is the wort part.

they had to know that amp was there.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:31 AM

yall are going to laugh but i do have a hornet alarm system with a pager. but in the past it has been acting weird and will beep at me for no reason. so last night i heard this nad went down stares with a bat but looked out the window and saw nothing (car right in my driveway underspot light). so i just figured it was the alarm being stupid and went back to bed. plus it was 530 in the morning so it didnt even cross my mind someone could be breaking into my car
Old 07-08-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 91muddog
you know, all that means is it was someone ya know, which is the wort part.

they had to know that amp was there.
i think they just saw my box and followed the wires the cop said there was alot of other cars broken in last night
Old 07-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
same thing happened to me. i was 1 of about 7 cars broken into the night mine got broken into. they took my subwoofer, kenwood stereo HU, radar detector, and even my clock. they broke my passenger side quarter window after unsuccessfully trying to pry off my drivers side door handle (and damaging the mechanism in the mean time), then ripped off the dash covering the AC controls and stereo, breaking lots of stuff there and ripped out some wires. they didnt have time to unbolt my drivers seat so that they could unbolt my amp so its still under there, just not headunit or subwoofer to use it with. i paid to have my window replaced cuz i needed it done quickly, but i could have easily done it myself.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You faired better than this guy who only has had his FJ for about one month.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ast-night.html

If only the laws were written that we could shoot 'em.
It would save the courts some taxpayer money if they were to be caught and tried.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:17 AM

when they got me they also decided to throw some salt in the wounds and slash one of my tires.

they didnt get my h/u, i make sure its bolted to the dash and the faceplate is removed
Old 07-08-2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PoleVaulter95
woke up this morning to the drivers side second door window smashed and my amp and sub gone. filed a police report (insurance reasons doubt it will come up). my question is where is the best place to sources a new window. is this something i can replace myself (mechanically inclined...i think). or is there some special window setting machine needed. thanks for all the help in advance
David
First of all, I would like to say I'm sorry, and I know how it feels. I had the rear left window of my Tahoe smashed in. The worst part was the thieves stole the faceplate offof my deck. This sucked because I had to buy a whole new deck, and they got a worthless faceplate. They also took my Ipod and some ciggerettes too.

I went to a local Junkyard. I live in the Phoenix, AZ Area so they are everywhere. I got a used window for about $70 and installed it myself which was not too difficult.

It sucks having your vehicle broken into, it is a feeling of violation and helplessness. Most of us have, unfortunatly, been there before.

Best regards.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:21 PM

I'm feeling your pain, walked out to my rig yesterday and realized that my powertanks 10lb tank was gone, along with the faceplate from my deck. They didn't even try and get to the deck, just the faceplate and my backpack. bastards!
Old 07-08-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I had an '87 pickup, they pried the back window out and took the head unit speakers and my gameboy (a long time ago). They tried to get the amp but I had it pop rivited to the rear wall. I looked like they tried to get it off with a crobar, they broke it but they didn't get it.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:40 PM

A$$holes......you can't have anything nice anymore. I hate thieves
Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by guapo83
A$$holes......you can't have anything nice anymore. I hate thieves
you can still have nice things just not the ones theive want to steal. i have a nice buck 110 in the center consol which they open but still left. they didnt touch my deck, cb, knife, flashlight, shovel, tool box, or even my high lift. the sub was recently purchased and the cop wrote down the serial number so hopefully it will turn up in a pawn shop fingers crossed thanks for the nice words
Old 07-08-2007, 04:17 PM

▓▓▓▓ty deal, this has happened to me twice, the first time was my 89 pickup passenger window smashed, all they took was the change out of my ashtray...then about 4 days after having my 4runner my window was smashed...funny part is that i had just bought an alarm/command start combo (cold here in the winter) and they couldn't install it till a few days later, so i had it in the box under the seat and they took that, SUCKED!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:28 PM

If I was to ever catch a thief trying to break into my car, they better run. Or pray someone holds me back.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 PM

if i witness someone trying to get into my car i've got a great shot with the crossbow from my bedroom window, then i can go back to sleep and track the bloodtrail in the morning lol

Quick Reply: Stupid Theives-Broken Window