Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Stored 87 4runner won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stored 87 4runner won't start

My 87 Runner has been garaged for about 7 years and wont start. I realize that there can be a multitude of causes but I'm leaning toward crud in the fuel line as the cause. I had an old steel gas can sitting right next to the runner and there was about an inch of watery rust on the bottom and I fear the tank on the runner might have the same problem. A shot of starting fluid in the air cleaner will run the engine for a few seconds.
Does anyone think this could be my problem? And short of draining the tank and blowing out the line are there some easier more obvious things to try first. By the way I never had problems starting it way back 7 years ago.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

If it has been sitting that long, the very first things you should do are drain the tank and replace the fuel filter (before trying to start!)

There is no telling how much water, rust, crud and varnish you may have in the system. It's a pity that you didn't do that first, as you may have forced some of that through your engine, already.

I would certainly do those things before trying anything further!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Yes I began thinking of that, (unfortunately after i tried starting it). I will definately leave the starting until after doing the things you suggested. Hopefully water didn't get into the sealed tank and the filter stopped the crud. I see a lot more work ahead if it didn't. Varnish might be another thing.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:32 PM

I believe there is a fuel pump prefilter on the in-tank fuel pump (I'm assuming 22re, not carbed) that would prevent any real debris from entering the system. However, if the tank was empty all this time, I would think that little sock could probably have dried up and could itself become a potential blockage.
Luckily, the 4Runners have a gas tank access panel behind the rear passenger seat. Pull some carpet, pull some bolts and the panel and you should have ready access to the gas tank. Some more bolts and you can pull the fuel pump and assembly and get a good look at what is going on in the tank. You can probably come up with a quick test to make sure the fuel pump is even running when you crank the engine.
I would also think there would be a pretty fair chance of the injectors being frozen up from varnish from sitting that long. Might be time to pull them and test them. Further odds are likely after sitting this long that the o-rings on the injectors have dried up and will start leaking if you got the motor running anyway so it might as well be a part of your "get it back on the road" program.
Once you get the tank, prefilter and injectors figured out you might as well do the fuel filter. It's a hassle, you'll hate it, but it probably could stand to be done as well.
Just for grins, while doing the fuel filter, get to a point where you are about to put it back on, then cover the inlet side line with some hose long enough to reach some sort of good sized catch can and crank the motor to see if the fuel pump is still working. Nothing like getting to see fuel actually coming out to help the confidence levels! Plus, if there is any sort of debris left in the line, this will clear it out without junking up the new fuel filter.
Of course, this would also be a good time to flush the radiator, change the oil and all that stuff.
Just remember, it's a 4Runner and it is worth the effort ;>)

Last edited by Fahrenheit 451; 04-16-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the tip on the access panel to the tank, Mr Chilton didn't mention that trap door. From what I can see, the tank itself doesn't really look all that cruddy, (still working on getting the line fitting off without rounding the nut) but the bracket holding the pump is crusty with white crystals and the filter looks like it could use a cleaning.
I see on other threads people sending injectors out to get cleaned is that something that can be done at home?