Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

stock gears.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stock gears.

alright so how many of you guys running bigger than a 31x10.50 on stock gears in 22re and how does it do. ive searched and some say horribly bad with 33s and some say not so bad. ive heard it really just depends on how your truck/runner has been treated and drove is this true? cuz im gonna run 33x12.50s but i was gonna put em on then save up for 4.88s. so id be runnin 33s on stock gears for bout a month and a half. thank ye fellers
Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i ran 32"s on my 80 with stock gears (from a 28" factory tire size) starting going sucked and was kind of all around sluggish but i did that for about a year then regeared. it sucked driving in any kind of snow. anything over 5" i had to put it in lo. i would do it if i were you or just hold out or that month or so.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 AM

im thinkin bout jsut savin enough for tires and gears and locker then puttin it all on at the same time. a buddy of mine has 4 bfg all terrains 33x12.50 in great shape that he was giving to me for free but he went to put em in his truckand his dad done sold em
Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by INFINITY
i ran 32"s on my 80 with stock gears (from a 28" factory tire size) starting going sucked and was kind of all around sluggish but i did that for about a year then regeared. it sucked driving in any kind of snow. anything over 5" i had to put it in lo. i would do it if i were you or just hold out or that month or so.

Or you could put the tires on now and then you would appreciate how much a gear change did for the truck!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Or you could put the tires on now and then you would appreciate how much a gear change did for the truck!
yea it could teach me a lesson and your right.. i would appreciate it more hahahahah
Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 PM

I just regeared my 91 22re from 4.11 to 4.88 And what a friggin diffrence. I get 75% better gas (33x12.50`s) and with the extra power it puts out i feel as if i have a extrea gear. Highly recomended. Unfortunatly i cant tregear the front yet so i dont know how it works off road ... I can only imagin like a dream thoe.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:04 PM

Oh yeah BTW. NEVER EVER get the BFG tires. I personaly went therought 3 sidewalls over 2 weeks (1 witha striped lug on the trail) 2 on 1 trip another a week later. This week a buddy just sliced up his sidewalls. Never ever will i roll with thoes again unless they were givin to me as a spare. All thoe i do live in hawaii where theres alot of lava rock. on the other hand you shoulda seen what blew out the 3erd sidewall last week. Serioously pitiful.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Hello, I bought a 86 hilux with 36,000 orig miles. It's been in storage for 15 years. It had roof damage and a new oem toyota roof was installed. The owner put new 15" wheels on with 10.5 31 15 tires. I researched the vin and mine has 4.10 gears. I've seen one post that said that the 31's would work ok. Has anyone had any experience with this setup? Since the drivetrane has such low milage it seems a waste to throw away the stock setup.Help!!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by yoder519
alright so how many of you guys running bigger than a 31x10.50 on stock gears in 22re and how does it do. ive searched and some say horribly bad with 33s and some say not so bad. ive heard it really just depends on how your truck/runner has been treated and drove is this true? cuz im gonna run 33x12.50s but i was gonna put em on then save up for 4.88s. so id be runnin 33s on stock gears for bout a month and a half. thank ye fellers
Go for it, I run 4.10's and 33x12.5x15's and its fine, just gotta clutch a bit more, and pound your pinchweld flat if you have 3" or less lift, I don't rub at all..

Originally Posted by INFINITY
Stop whining, it ain't that bad at all..

Originally Posted by IngSoc
Oh yeah BTW. NEVER EVER get the BFG tires. I personaly went therought 3 sidewalls over 2 weeks (1 witha striped lug on the trail) 2 on 1 trip another a week later. This week a buddy just sliced up his sidewalls. Never ever will i roll with thoes again unless they were givin to me as a spare. All thoe i do live in hawaii where theres alot of lava rock. on the other hand you shoulda seen what blew out the 3erd sidewall last week. Serioously pitiful.
Your a moron, I've run BFG's my entire life and they're fine.. I've NEVER had one fail except I ran over a nail once... Frickin web wheeler..
Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 AM

I am running 33X 12.5 BFG MT's on stock 4.10 gears. I have the exact same experience as Trustyrusty. I use more clutch, it's sluggish around town and I don't get to use 5th gear on the HWY anymore. But in the new year I plan on getting new gears as money allows. I know I will appreciate the new gears more after running stock one for a few months. I say go for it.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Banned

You don't use 5th on the freeway? I use 5th all the time, just gotta downshift on the hills around here, but theres very few in kansas... I use 5th gear only when I drive over 55, otherwise it lugs the engine.. It ain't bad around town, but its a bit noticable.. If you go into a big mudhole and start losing rpm, downshift or you'll slip the clutch real bad, I burnt half of mine up...
Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by IngSoc
what????

i've never had any problems with BFG, and i've been running that brand for 8 years. the only flat i ever got was from a sheetrock screw.

and in response to the first question, i am running 33x10.5s with the stock gearing on my 95 22re. it is weak, but bearable if u dont plan on breaking any speed records. it sucks off roading though, 4low just aint low enough, and it wasnt low enough with my 31s either haha.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You can do it. Its gonna be slow, you will wear your clutch out faster, and you won't be to happy with the performance.

If its only gonna take you a month or two to get the money to re-gear... go for it.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
<SNIP>

Your a moron, I've run BFG's my entire life and they're fine.. I've NEVER had one fail except I ran over a nail once... Frickin web wheeler..

IngSoc is correct.
BFG AT's and MT's have weak sidewalls.
No one out here that plays in the big boy and girl stuff runs them at least not for very long.
They are know for ripping sidewalls.

You act like you're a 10 ~ 12yo.
Oh wait, I'm close

So you've run 'em your whole life of, mmmm a couple years or so, driving through nothing that I've seen from your photos that even particularly requires 4WD.

Come out here or where IngSoc is and try playing in the big rocks and you'll change your tune quickly.

Also, the AT's are the worst hydroplaning tire I've ever experienced first hand.

Here's a two BFG MT and two SSR day:

Did take photos of the second BFG as I got tired of the silly's coming to play and not prepared for the trail.

I haven't been on a run in, literally, years now, where anyone is running BFG MT's or AT's or SSR's.
Everyone's wised up to the weak sidewalls.

Fred
Old 12-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned

Literally everyone I wheel with runs the BFG Mud Terrains, only one person I wheel with runs something else, and thats the Toyo M/T's, BFG has been making the same mud terrain for about two decades, and I'm sure they know whats up, I haven't had ANY problems with sidewalls, but I got a pretty good gash in one and its held fine, the only problems I have with the tire is the "Rim Protector" that sticks, and rocks and crap can jam into and pop the tire off the bead, I nearly had a flat like that but the "rim protector" chunked out in one small spot, tire still holds air fine... IF your running any tire of 35" and doing rock crawling, sure you can get a better tire, for anything else, I wouldn't run any other tire, they work fine and its all my brother ran for 15 years, and everyone I know uses them. As far as the SSR, I had no idea they had weak sidewalls, do you know if the Truxus M/T's share the same weak sidewall?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:48 PM

Thanks guys for the info. But I'm hearing 33" not anyone with 31". This truck may see some woods but mainly street use. Anyone with 31"? Great site and really enjoying it good bunch of folks. Thanks Jay
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 PM

going 1 once going twice

Re. Anyone running 31" with 4.10s Iv'e yet to here someone with 31" with 4.10s. Mainly street use. Need good advice thanks
Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

It will make your rig slower in all aspects. I have 31s and 4.10s and it takes longer to get up to speed. If I have three passengers, I can't go over 65 without keeping my foot to the floor and in 4th gear.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 PM

my 98 has 4.10s and i went from 31s to 33s and notices a little bit of difference in acceleration and (decel?) but they both worked perfectly i upgraded cause i have a lift so the 31s looked odd... and i like the bigger tire
and i agree with rusty, I <3 BFG especially since they changed their rubber formula about a year or so ago, theyre much stronger and last even longer, my dad has been rinning a/ts on his f 250, and more recently his tundra for about 10 years, and ive had em on my runner for a little over a year... but then again im out here in the east and i see dirt trails and trees,,,, not too many rock washes
Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM

On the BFG subject i have a buddy that is a hard core wheeler who can just about put anything you name through its paces (hes hard on trucks), he also works at a tire shop that out fits log trucks and logging crummies (more vehicles whose tire's get abused). When he suggests that i dont even go on a gravel road when i have a BFG mud terrain on for a couple days i think hes right. end point, they have weak sidewalls for what we got out here in the west.

I am runnin 33x12.5 and there is a noticable drop off in power and hill climbs in 4h... not happenin. other than that, you just got to be good with the clutch and take her slow and steady.

Quick Reply: stock gears.