Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

still jerky, sluggish accel and idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still jerky, sluggish accel and idle

Recently I replaced the fuel filter on my 90' 4Runner 3.0 v6. Now when ever I turn it on in the morning, it runs fine until it warms up. Then it seems to be choking on too much fuel. I unplugged the positive battery terminal to reset the computer, tested the vaf to see if its working (which it is). Right now, I'm stuck and frustrated with it. Really need some help. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
check your timing, spark plugs, rotor and cap. I would try the simple cheap stuff first and move on from there. I ended up replacing everything from the gas tank fuel pump, and sending unit to only find that it was a faulty set of plugs causing my issues. By the way i started with the fuel filter as well and had the same problem. It took several hundred dollars in parts to only find that my issue was the stupid spark plugs.

Last edited by mightymouse; 06-12-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Prob dist cap or pick-up coil and or button. If not then If it only does it upon heating up it prob has a temp issue and the computer is getting a false temp issue with the air or engine temp still thinking its cold all the time. Is there any codes if so post em. My be coolant temp sensor. Does it had a bad idle? If so go to your mass air flow sensor and beat on it and see if theres change. If so then the prob lies there.Try cleaning it. Plugs may be an issue but i highly doubt if its only upon warm-up. Check em anyway. Any vaccum leaks? This can cause it too. Possible EGR Flow issue check EGR and see if its fuctioning, passages in intake may be clogged for it. Main Intake Air hose leak or crack.

Last edited by Kiroshu; 06-12-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Prob dist cap or pick-up coil and or button. If not then If it only does it upon heating up it prob has a temp issue and the computer is getting a false temp issue with the air or engine temp still thinking its cold all the time. Is there any codes if so post em. My be coolant temp sensor. Does it had a bad idle? If so go to your mass air flow sensor and beat on it and see if theres change. If so then the prob lies there.Try cleaning it. Plugs may be an issue but i highly doubt if its only upon warm-up. Check em anyway. Any vaccum leaks? This can cause it too. Possible EGR Flow issue check EGR and see if its fuctioning, passages in intake may be clogged for it. Main Intake Air hose leak or crack.
thanks for the replys. yeah, i've already replaced the plugs, wires, cap, button, coil, plugged all the leaks in the intake and i'm now starting to replace all my vaccum hoses. Just today I was messing with the air intake, thought maybe this air filter sucks.(BTW, i did the ISR mod) So I took it of the vaf and still didn't notice any change. So I started messing with the valve inside the vaf, just opening it up a little more and it started run a whole lot better. Now I'm wondering if the vaf is malfunctioning or not. While its idling the valve kinda jumps and when I push the throttle its pretty jumpy and sparatic. Is this normal or should I look to maybe replacing that?