Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

starter trouble,please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starter trouble,please help!

i have a 94 pickup v6,and once in a while trying to start it,it clicks and clicks,i tried taping it and didnt make a diffrence. also looking more into me starter,the ground wire to the starer looks messed up like not a good connection,could this be the problem?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM

yes , yes it could be the problem .
Old 10-03-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by justintumadre
...it clicks and clicks ...the ground wire to the starter looks messed up like not a good connection...
Starter motor does not click, it tries to turn. What clicks? Starter solenoid (piggybacked on starter motor)? Starter relay (In fuse/relay block under hood)? Circuit opening relay (under dash)?

First, make sure that questionable cable, as well as the THICK cable that goes directly from battery to starter solenoid contact are not broken/corroded and are making good, clean connections.

If that does not work, before throwing parts and money at it, best to understand how the system works.

If you want quick guesses:
If starter (solenoid piggybacked on it should also click) tries to turn (motor does not click), weak battery.

If solenoid, clicks but starter motor does nothing, still possible weak battery or bad solenoid contacts. Search how to replace contacts.

If starter relay (verify location on FSM on my signature) clicks but solenoid does nothing, possible wiring flaw like on 1986-1988 4 Runners (explained on my build thread).
Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 AM

The clicking is coming from the starter it self. It only "clicks" when i cold start it,usually. After a while of trying to start it,it does finally start,and has a hard time stating,like it cranks for a while and then turns over. I'm only 18 and still learning so bear with me.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 AM

Use a battery with higher cold cranking amps there is a rating on the top of the battery for CCA's
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM

had similar problem, turned out to be ignition switch
Start here:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by locked fj80
Use a battery with higher cold cranking amps there is a rating on the top of the battery for CCA's
Before you go buying batteries test everything first.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM

Okay so this morning I hooked up a battery charger to my truck,I let I charge for a while and it started right up,is this most likely a battery problem?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

If solenoid, clicks but starter motor does nothing, still possible weak battery or bad solenoid contacts. Search how to replace contacts.
The clicking is coming from the starter it self. It only "clicks" ...has a hard time starting,like it cranks for a I'm only 18 and still learning so bear with me.
Yeey! Good to know you're learning your vehicle early, so you would not have to rely on incompetent/dishonest mechs or stealerships!

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Before you go buying batteries test everything first.
Agree.

Originally Posted by Vang530
had similar problem, turned out to be ignition switch Start here:
Partially Disagree. If starter solenoid clicks, and starter motor "groans" tying to turn that means solenoid is getting the current necessary to energize it (around 12Amps on 22RE system) and close contacts. That means ignition switch contacts are OK. However, starter motor struggling to turn means it's not getting enough current because of weak battery (likely), OR solenoid contacts bad/high resistance.
Agree: 4Crawler approach is still applicable in order to help extend the life of the ignition switch contacts.

Okay so this morning I hooked up a battery charger to my truck, I let I charge for a while and it started right up,is this most likely a battery problem?
Motor does not click, it "groans" when trying to turn. Clicking is probably from starter solenoid. That and your test with well-charged battery seem to point to weak battery. Have battery load-tested or search how much voltage you should have on battery with nothing on, with lights on, with starter cranking.
Could also be poor solenoid contact. Too much contact resistance will limit power to starter motor. 4Crawler site also describes repair procedure.