Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

spring compressor alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spring compressor alternatives?

So i got my Bilsteins yesterday for my 3rd gen. I still need to get my koyo radiator.

I'm getting ready for the work this weekend. I'm wondering if I can use the truck as a spring compressor? If i place a jack on the lca and loosen all the bolts on the top hat then slowly release the jack will that work? The only thing I'm not sure about is if there will be enough spring compression and enough travel in the suspension arms. And I'd just do the reverse to re-assmeble it.

Or maybe I'm just nuts?

I'm trying to avoid taking it out $25/shock and I'm kind of scared to use the rental compressors after hearing and reading some stories about them.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Make sure your health and life insurance are paid up.

Stupidest thing I've heard suggested in a loooooong time. You REALLY need to understand what the hell you are doing before you kill/mame/destroy yourself/others/your truck.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 AM

I wouldnt use the truck at all, I have had a bad experience with a rental compresser... i had removed the first shock/spring and was releasing the pressure and the rental piece broke, luckily i was on the opposite side of where the spring shot. it went about 150-175 feet, that would of really hurt. needless to say, i took it to a shop and let them do it on a wall mounted compressor, save your self the hassle!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

When it comes to springs if you don't have the right tools or trust the ones you rent/borrow save yourself a [possibly] lifetime of grief and go to a mechanic/suspension shop and eat the hour or two of labour expense. Relax have a coffee and read a 'zine or go to lunch next door.... maybe offer to buy the guys a pizza if it's a sat. and they may give you a little break on the labour...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Make sure your health and life insurance are paid up.

Stupidest thing I've heard suggested in a loooooong time. You REALLY need to understand what the hell you are doing before you kill/mame/destroy yourself/others/your truck.

First off great way to welcome a new member with a question. If I knew I wouldn't have asked. And being my first suspension job I figured I'd post it in the newbie forum for others as well.

I've been trying to do my homework before I start this job and from what I see under the truck and based on my mechanical intution I thought that this MIGHT be a safer alternative. A) you reduce the risk of the compressor bolts snapping or hooks slipping and B) you have some stability with part of the shock being on the truck still for support vs trying to hold/handle it during screw down compression.

At this point I'm leaning towards taking it out but I wanted to ask the question. Even if you think I'm an idiot.

OH and it looks like others have done it this way before unless I'm completely being clueless again....
Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I have used rental comPressors multiple times with out issue. A lot of places rent them for free, just pay a deposit. Get it back when you give back the tool.

Like any tool you use, inspect it prior to use. If in doubt, have the work done professionally.

Your idea: no....
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

Lots of things that CAN be done shouldn't. This is one of them.
My apologies if you are insulted, but that's Darwin material.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't do it, way to many unforseen variables to content with.

I don't want to read about this on the yearly darwin awards list.

Whats $50 to do it right? That is way cheaper than an emergency room visit.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
If you feel confident that you can replicate what the other dude did go for it.

Edit: I just picked up my phone and it opened up to the link posted by the OP- you know the funny thing about the thread on the other forum is it looks like the guy in working on his truck in a sloped drive way...jackstands and an angle, no thanks

Edit 2.0: I am way behind the curve, DC shows the pics

Last edited by dropzone; 07-26-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by smokey0066
I'm trying to avoid taking it out $25/shock and I'm kind of scared to use the rental compressors after hearing and reading some stories about them.
$25/Shock is cheaper than $100,000/hand when you crush a hand or $500,000 when you bounce a spring off your face.

Use the proper tools, or take it to someone who has the proper tools. Using the "on the truck" method doesn't account for side load, spring deflection, and it assumes the shock will go straight up. It won't.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:16 AM

I'm not offended. I just wanted to ask the question. I only quoted what you wrote because I don't think what you said is helpful nor needed.

I understand its far from being the "right method" nor the "prefered method" but I thought it might be safer as I outlined above. Like I said I will likely take it out to a shop but I was curious.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Staff

Here is a prime example of how NOT to do this:

Last edited by DeathCougar; 07-26-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by smokey0066
I'm not offended. I just wanted to ask the question. I only quoted what you wrote because I don't think what you said is helpful nor needed.

I understand its far from being the "right method" nor the "prefered method" but I thought it might be safer as I outlined above. Like I said I will likely take it out to a shop but I was curious.
You should be offended to the point that you realize just how stupid an idea this is on multiple facets and levels.

If I had replied, "sounds like a great idea that makes me happy inside" someone else would have told you it's a stupid idea anyway. I was just first.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 07-26-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

No one meant any offense smokey, as for the use the vehicle's weight and strap it down tight type of ideas it can be done but I would'nt advise it... the straps can slip a lot more easily then the compressors (which can slip too) the risk just is'int worth the reward in my book... if you rent/borrow a compressor make sure you get the shop to show you exactly how it works... sometimes those little diagrams in the box are'nt as clear as they should be.

If you do diy it be careful, go slow, and take pics... not only for posting here but should an accident occur you'll have clear evidence for the courts ...just in case.

Good luck
Aviator

something else I just realized no one has mentioned... you may need to torch the mount bolts to get them loose... you have a gas tank, fuel lines, brake lines and electrical harness all running close by your work area and all of them are allergic to heat/flame to one degree or another...

Last edited by aviator; 07-26-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ive done 2 lifts on a 4runner so far useing this method and it works great and very safe '

all though not a 3rd gen same basic idea
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3358

Last edited by Elton; 07-26-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by Elton
ive done 2 lifts on a 4runner so far useing this method and it works great and very safe '

all though not a 3rd gen same basic idea
http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3358
It is NOT "very safe" at all. There is nothing to keep that spring from shooting out of there.

I cannot stress enough that a $25 spring compressor is worth more than a $100,000 hospital visit because you were too cheap.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the jack compresses the coil you unbolt it lower the jack slowly and out comes the spring ? id trust it more than them pos rental ones ive use them once it was very scary watching them bend
Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 PM

I bought a spring compressor at Autozone a couple of years ago for under $50. It was their house brand, and it is very sturdy.

It's also a nice tool to have around-I've put struts on several cars for friends/co-workers and it has more than paid for itself.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:26 PM

A mechanic at my work used to do this on the lift. Using 2 of the large screw jacks on the lca. Till the rack shifted when reinstalling the springs on a Ram 2500 4x4.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by Elton
the jack compresses the coil you unbolt it lower the jack slowly and out comes the spring ? id trust it more than them pos rental ones ive use them once it was very scary watching them bend
Originally Posted by WHAHAHAJR
A mechanic at my work used to do this on the lift. Using 2 of the large screw jacks on the lca. Till the rack shifted when reinstalling the springs on a Ram 2500 4x4.
This.

It always works "until it doesn't" then you break your arm, or something worse. Accidents generally don't happen over and over. They happen once. That ONE time SOMETHING was slightly off or different.

The Exxon Valdeez made hundreds of trips to Alaska with oil on board a single hull ship. Never a problem. Then, ONE TIME there was a problem. It only takes ONCE for an accident to cost you a body part or worse, your life. Its not worth the risk. Not saying everything you do wouldn't have a potential risk. However, on something so obvious, why bother being stupid and taking the risk?

Quick Reply: spring compressor alternatives?