Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

sometimes yes, sometimes no

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down sometimes yes, sometimes no

Hello all, I need a little advice. I have a 1993 toyo 4x4 2.4 liter with a 5 speed. The truck runs fine, no hesitation ,no missing, it just toyo's right along. UNTILL, I stop for gas, or just anything. When I turn the truck off for just a few minutes, sometimes it WILL NOT START it turns over but thats it. If it sits for about half an hour, it starts up like there was no problem Some one suggested it might be the fuel pump relay?? any ideas where that might be located in said truck?? Thanks for ANY HELP......................R
Old 08-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

possibly fuel pump wire, or you could be getting vapor lock.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:13 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it do it all the time, or only when it's hot out?

Have you done any trouble shooting to see if it's spark or fuel?

Could be heat soak on the ignitor pack, but I would look at fuel first. Since your truck is fuel injected, I doubt it's truly vapor lock, but there can be other problems that give similar symptoms.

Run some injector cleaner through (BG 44k is good stuff), and maybe Seafoam it (search for details).

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Probably never - it's a PITA on the 22RE. Change it.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
I doubt it's truly vapor lock,
vapor lock can and does happen on fuel injected motors. It can be an issue specifically on fuel injected piston aircraft

While I don't think it really is vapor lock, it's possible. More likely a fuel pump relay or cold start/warm start issue.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the tips, I have done some trouble shooting on this, the fuel filter was changed not to long ago, I live in Florida so it is ALWAYS hot out. Like I said it is strange, When I start it in the morning it starts , idels and runs like a toyo does. But if I drive it more then say 15 mins and then shut it off, it will turn over but NOT START. I wait 30 mins and it starts no problem, When I am driving it runs like a TOP, it is only when trying to start it after driving, it messes with me. Someone had mentiond to me about a fuel pump relay (where would that be located ) getting hot but like I said it NEVER hiccups when I am driving only trying to start when warm?? Thanks all
Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

all classic signs of vapor lock to me.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem, not in yota, but it did tune out to be the relay. Never had a problem since.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you in the location of it in your rig. Check owners Manule
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks once again all, I have looked in the owners manuel to no avail, Chimmike if it is vapor lock how or what would be the best way to combat/test for this?? is my tank not venting well? She really is a good truck, wont pull anyone out stuck DEEP in the mud but it will dang sure skirt over the top...........
Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a link to the FSM for your truck:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

Vapor lock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock

The reason for where I pointed you above is that in the instances you describe when the truck will start, the cold start injector is helping get enough fuel in the system, when it's warm, it's not.

My truck experienced vapor lock type symptoms (engine died when it was worked hard and it was hot out, especially at altitude) and after changing the ignitor pack, there haven't been any recurrences.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:27 AM

heres what i would do when it doesnt start. spray a little starting fluid in the intake, see if it fires on that. if it runs then stalls, then i would be inclined to say you have a fuel delivery issue.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:18 PM

i actually had the same problem in my 92 toyota pickup. it turned out to be 1 of 3 things actually. i changed my air filter and my fuel pump and my thermostat. i did it all at the same time and i havnt had a problem with mine since. so im not saying it will fix yours but from what it sounds like it could help. who knows.