Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

So I did the Deckplate Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I did the Deckplate Mod

Pretty simple, about an hour to complete. About $20.00 for everything needed.

Nice increase in throttle response at lower RPM's. At higher RPM's I don't notice much increase in power and that is where the power is supposed to be. I am a little suspect of the claimed 8HP increase. I do however like the growl when you give it some gas, sounds like a V8!
Old 09-30-2006, 10:28 AM

welcome to the deck plate club. I really noticed the difference when going up a hill when using cruise control. The runner could hold it's speed alot better. To me that translated, must be more power.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
deckplate mod is by far the best cheap mod have you done the isr mod to
Old 09-30-2006, 02:11 PM

The ISR mod is next
Old 09-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

toss that k&n filter in the trash
Old 09-30-2006, 02:50 PM

Whats wrong with K&N?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

well they let in to much dirt and the oil will get all over you maf sensor

Last edited by Elton; 09-30-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:08 PM

I haven't had any prob with mine. But I haven't cleaned it yet. I have to admit that I thought that it would let in all kinds of dust when i first opened the box. But had no problems. I just did deckplate and intake and it was pretty clean in there. Now that the filter is a little dirty I feel safer though. Just my observation.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:26 PM

Not too sure why everyone is so down on K&N on this board. Supposedly they might let a little more dirt in than other filters. Mine has been great. You might need to clean them a little more often. They have a better flow than any other filter that I have used.

Most of the Indy cars use them. I am sure that they are perfectly fine if they are used on motors that cost that much. My truck is not 4X4 so I am not worried about much dust, that is why I did the Deckplate mod.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by igogusto
Not too sure why everyone is so down on K&N on this board. Supposedly they might let a little more dirt in than other filters. Mine has been great. You might need to clean them a little more often. They have a better flow than any other filter that I have used.

Most of the Indy cars use them. I am sure that they are perfectly fine if they are used on motors that cost that much. My truck is not 4X4 so I am not worried about much dust, that is why I did the Deckplate mod.
You can't compare an Indy car to a 4x4, first they don't see the same type of usage. Those race engines were meant to go one race before they get torn down, our vehicles are driven daily and meant to go years before repairs. The filter on race engines were designed to only prevent the larger pieces of debri that can cause damage, they don't worry about the fine particles.

In my street driven car or motorcycle I've used K&N filters they worked just fine, but when your driving offroad in dusty conditions, the K&N filter just doesn't cut it. This has been proven time and time again, by many members on this board, including myself. Today there are newer designed filters that do a much better job. If you do a search you can find many threads about how various filters have worked on our rigs.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:09 PM

Hey what size deckplate did you use 4"? Just trying to get a feel for what most people are using
Old 09-30-2006, 06:26 PM

Bruce - Like I said in my post, I don't have a 4X4, so I am not worried about dust, and I would not use a K&N offroad if I did.

BTW that is a nice rig!

I used a 4 " Beckson deckplate.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did the deckplate mod as well. I've notice my fuel guage moves a bit slower aswell... Who's selling the ISR pipe? That one dude cotees stiffed a few people on here...
Old 09-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

On my ex-turbo street car the K&N did it's job but off road they might be fine once they've collected a bit more dirt since even dirty they still flow well and filter better with some miles and crap in it. Kinda funny but that's how it's designed to go for those long in-between cleaning intervals. With the filter kits K&N sells an outerwrap for when encountering a little more extreme conditions but I'd never pay that price and spend more just to have the wrap as an option.
I personally just use an OEM filter at the moment but I'm going to throw my K&N in for winter and do some MPG comparisons.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:54 AM

The easiest way to do a "isr" mod would be to buy the Airaid Modular Intake Tube.
http://www.airaid.com/510-934_toyota.asp

Here is a list of dealers
http://www.airaid.com/dealers.asp

If you don't want to pay for this, there are plenty of $20 home made versions. Just search ISR.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I noticed that AIRRAID doesn't have one for my year. I'll probaly fab the mod myself...
Old 10-29-2006, 07:03 PM
AK

im a bit disapointed with the deckplate mod. i did mine about 2 months ago and have not got better gas mileage. It has pretty much stayed exactly the same. ive probably run 6 tanks of gas or so and have ranged from 16 mpg up to 17.8 at the best tank. Which I was getting in the 17s all the time before. I fill up at the same station every time as well. I guess i will be changing the fuel filter, plugs and wires and see if i can get it to jump up any.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AK
im a bit disapointed with the deckplate mod. i did mine about 2 months ago and have not got better gas mileage. It has pretty much stayed exactly the same. ive probably run 6 tanks of gas or so and have ranged from 16 mpg up to 17.8 at the best tank. Which I was getting in the 17s all the time before. I fill up at the same station every time as well. I guess i will be changing the fuel filter, plugs and wires and see if i can get it to jump up any.
The deckplate mod is not supposed to increase gas milage. But on the other hand the supercharger shouldn't either, yet it does
Old 10-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

do the isr mod and add a trueflow filter
Old 10-30-2006, 03:29 AM

I second eltons isr/trueflow

Quick Reply: So I did the Deckplate Mod