Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Shocks, Tire Sizes, Regearing, Locker, Confusing World!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shocks, Tire Sizes, Regearing, Locker, Confusing World!

I just bought a 94 Pickup. 2WD. 4 banger. 2.4L. My job takes my new truck and me out through the city, up the highway, and down a cow path on a regular basis. I absolutely love the little pickup. I can live in it, and it's a champ on roads and highways. But as it is, the thing (understandably) does a little side-slipping and bottoming-out on its way down the cow path. (I found a way around the cowpath and the bottoming out, but it would be nice to be able to handle situations instead of finding ways around them)
So I've been trying to research my way through the confusing world of cool stuff I can do to my truck to give it a little more trail-ability. The previous owner stuck some Bilstein shocks in the front, but not the back. The truck sort of sits back on its haunches. So, I'm thinking this is the first thing to fix. I've been looking into lifts, but they seem like they're generally a bad idea. So, first set of questions.
What size tires can I get on it right now? Without running a lift and risking the lifespan and handling of my vehicle. How useful and reliable are balljoint lifts? An inch and a half is the most I'd want to lift my truck. What should I do about my shocks situation? Bilsteins in the back? Or are there better, more offroadey shocks that I can run front and back?
Next thing I need to fix is the fact that the rear right tire is the only thing that keeps me moving forward. I'm thinking an Aussie locker. Looks easy, reliable, cheap. (I ain't made of money) Only problem here is that I can't figure out my axle size. Have I got a 7.5 or an 8? I looked all over the damned thing, and couldn't figure it out.
The last thing to consider (I think) is the proposition of regearing. I'm having trouble finding information on the subject, but it seems like if my tires get bigger, I'll have to regear to maintain traction. And perhaps it's just a generally good idea when it comes to improved traction and performance? What company, and what gearing ought I go with?
Any other cool stuff I should do?
Thanks for your patience, and thanks for your help.

Cheers,
-Craig
Old 05-17-2008, 02:30 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will be very tough to lift the frontend of your truck if its a 2wd model.

You can add a leaf in the rear and replace the shocks. The front the only lift available that I know of is the balljoint lift, since you dont have CV axles up front like the 4wd models have you should be fine.

I expect the largest size you may fit on the truck will be 31" tires.

You dont need a locker in the rear, wont really help you to just drive over a cow pasture. What will help are some good all terrain tires like BF goodrich of the likes.

You should have an 8" rear axle, the front is of no concern b/c it doesnt have a driveshaft.

You shouldnt need to regear with just 31" tires. It will be ok.

Basically, there isnt much that can be done for a 2wd truck to make it handle offroad to well without converting it 4wd or the likes.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Ball joint spacers and/or torsion bar lift up front:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml

New springs, add-a-leaf or spring shackles in back:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...es.shtml#FAQ14

Diff size will be either 7.5" or 8" as noted:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ToyVIN.shtml

Folks have run 31" and I think up to 33" tires on 2WD with a body lift:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml
Old 05-17-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would do a elocker and regear at the same time!!! go for 33s with a body lift and F the 2wd haters... or sell it and by a 4wd!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks y'all. And bigt, I think I'll be taking your advice. I'm a little wary of the body lift though. Saw some pictures somewhere else on yotatech that showed some pretty nice damage done by a body lift. But those 33's would be nice...
As far as regearing, what ratio should I go with and where's the best place to get 'em?
Thanks again.

Has anybody seen this? Proves what we all know already. Toyotas can't be killed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk
(Topgear: Killing a Toyota)