Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

sas kit opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sas kit opinions

Well after selling my 91 that was sas'd and all perfect I have been kicking my self in the balls, so now its time to sas my new pickup. I just put a used bracket lift on, bj spacers and new bj's but I just cant do what I want with the ifs.... So I have decided to go with the trail gear kit because of price and that it comes with everything. My old truck was done with 5" front and rear on 35's. I felt it was kind of tippy on off camber situiations. But it flexed really good and looked sikk. But what size springs should I get? I want it to look bad ass but more importantly I want the most flex and best performance. I am runing 35's and plan to keep it that way because its my only vehicle. Leaning towards the 3" but will the 5" have more flex/articulation?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by pitster33
Well after selling my 91 that was sas'd and all perfect I have been kicking my self in the balls, so now its time to sas my new pickup. I just put a used bracket lift on, bj spacers and new bj's but I just cant do what I want with the ifs.... So I have decided to go with the trail gear kit because of price and that it comes with everything. My old truck was done with 5" front and rear on 35's. I felt it was kind of tippy on off camber situiations. But it flexed really good and looked sikk. But what size springs should I get? I want it to look bad ass but more importantly I want the most flex and best performance. I am runing 35's and plan to keep it that way because its my only vehicle. Leaning towards the 3" but will the 5" have more flex/articulation?

my truck has 3inch bl and has 33s looks like 35s would fit just fine but every company that sells lifts for these trucks says you need a minimum of 4 inch lift for 35s. I think keeping a truck low looks better but thats mainly because I really like the whole rock crawler huge tires and a lower slung chassis look.
I am going with OEM (old man emu) SAS most likely.. hvnt heard anyone say anything else is better so far for my purposes and then will go with a matching setup for the rear.
I bet your truck was fine off camber - it seems common that until you actually roll one it feels tippy way before it is close to tipping.

good luck though - great looking truck - i want to see more pictures of it - saw some on the IFS flex thread.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM

You may want to look into marlins kit they use Betts Spring Manufacturing which is better quality than trail gears. You may also want to consider rears up front, they are cheap, good quality and max out a 14" shock
Old 07-09-2009, 01:06 AM

stock rear springs up front?? idk.. OME is ARB i dont know how their springs compaire to trail gears.. I like spending less.. means i can get started sooner. Once ifs stuff is work out to the point of needing replacement parts (bushings and whatnot) is when it'll be time for sas..
thats one hell of a trimmed bumper in the picture. that your old truck or current one or someone elses?

Originally Posted by whokrz
You may want to look into marlins kit they use Betts Spring Manufacturing which is better quality than trail gears. You may also want to consider rears up front, they are cheap, good quality and max out a 14" shock
Old 07-09-2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by the 38 special
stock rear springs up front?? idk.. OME is ARB i dont know how their springs compaire to trail gears.. I like spending less.. means i can get started sooner. Once ifs stuff is work out to the point of needing replacement parts (bushings and whatnot) is when it'll be time for sas..
thats one hell of a trimmed bumper in the picture. that your old truck or current one or someone elses?
The bumper is on my current truck DD/toy. It has 1990 rear toyota pickup springs in front which are 51" eye to eye, it moved my front axle forward about 3 inches so I have no rubbing issues on the firewall. The more standard rears up front is to use 1985-1989 rear Toyota springs which are 48" long and move the axle forward about 2"
Roger Brown's 4runner with RUF

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspension-III.shtml lots of info

85-89 Toyota rears are ruffly the same dimensions as Marlins springs and the metal quality is high. The only drawback is that you have to make your own spring packs, I consider being able to raise or lower my truck by +/- leafs is a nice thing to be able to do not a drawback but some people are trying to do it in a weekend.

I didn't know that OME made a SAS, I had there coils for my 97 4runner. Do you have a link?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 AM

i lost the link i guess but it may have just been ome springs - it was sold at one of the shops in my state i just cant remember which

moving the front tires forward a few inches sounds worth while.. I have come on some things where the front bumper touches and actually holds the front tires off the ground - and coming back the other way would have put me nose first into a ditch

how are those 5:29s on the highway with the 3.0 and 35s?
I am going to be buying new tires soon - still have plenty of tread but the tires have been discontinued for 10 years (i am 3rd owner) and are cracking .. they have to go before they pop - but i want to step up to 35s and hear mixed opinions as to what gearing is needed. I drive my truck every day and it gets pretty rough on the highway trying to keep it tracking where i want sometimes and likes to stick at 55mph - but thats with stock 4.10s and 33s
Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if you go with the TG kit let me know. i have several very happy customers that have run the 4 and 5" kits.

if you only plan on running 35s i'd go with the 4" kit.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 PM

CHECK THESE OUT!!!

I just put these frame plates on my sas and am sooo glad i did. they also reinforce the steering box if you ask for the back plate too. you dont want to rip shock hoops off your frame...these things are bad, and give the frame a real nice clean look.

http://www.4x4labs.com/galleries/ifs...fs_plates.html
Old 07-09-2009, 05:04 PM

http://www.4x4labs.com/galleries/ifs...fs_plates.html
Those do clean it up a lot.

I have the 22re and on the street for DD I run 32s 3300rpm puts me at 65 and it will climb most hills in 5th gear. With my 37 mtrs it is geared just a little bit lower than 4.10 and 31. I think 35 and 5.29 would be a good combo it would give you more torque on hills but still keep rpm reasonable on the freeway.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 PM

for the sas go with marlins 4inch kit and its enough lift to keep your 35s
Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 PM

Just moved to Texas end of July (business trip took me to Vegas for 10 days - then straight to Texas with just the bags I packed for a 10 day stay) .. So once I ship my truck out here (Kyle - near Austin) I will have to find a shop to do the SAS, install an E-Locker in the rear (while upping to 4:56 from 4:10 gears to get some spunk back) - oh and tint the windows so I dont fry with no A/C.

So if you know anyone around here .. Seeing as I will only have at most a few days at most with my truck in Washington before I drive it down or have it shipped.