Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Power locks do not work

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power locks do not work

Hi All,

I have a '94 Truck with power locks/windows. When I bought it, I was looking forward to owning one vehicle that did not belong to "Team Door Handle". Those of you that don’t know this term, it’s used towards Audi and VW owners because the 80's through mid 90's models were notorious for door handle problems that would often force the owners to use less-dignified methods of entering their cars. I know - I weigh 240lbs and own 6 Audis...

That said, 2 days ago I stopped at my destination, pulled the door handle to get out of the truck and found that the door was locked. I hit the unlock button. To my surprise, the actuators fired, but the driver side lock plunger did not pop up! I tried a few more times and could see it trying to pop up, but it was stuck in the locked position. I tried to open it manually by pulling the plunger up, but it was having none of it. I also tried rolling down the window and using my key, also to no avail. Finally, after trying to lock/unlock and jiggling the thing, the plunger popped up; but to my dismay the lock was still LOCKED!

I ended up having to crawl out of the passenger side!

The plunger moves up and down freely now, with the power lock button, key and manually, but the door is still locked.

I am a bit puzzled now about what to do. With the door closed, it is nearly impossible to remove the interior door liner. We also took apart my friends identical truck door to see if we could slim-jim it open, but the system is all closed up inside of the door (which is a STUPID design!)

In any case, I dont know what the heck to do now! Any ideas?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, no replies. Awesome!