Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

NEWBIE Best price on a 22re engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEWBIE Best price on a 22re engine?

Hi Everyone,
My beloved '94 SB Deluxe just died. Does anyone know where the best place to buy a reman 22 re engine is? I am having trouble finding anything under $1500.
I'm not even positive that it needs a new engine...but I keep getting different answers. Bottom line is there's oil everywhere even on the under side of the hood dripping down.

Thanks!
Angie
Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
$1500 is about inline for what these engines go for. That is subject to how much you do yourself and core charges.

I would reccommend either Oregon Engine Rebuilders or 22RE Preformance engines. Both companies are good but if I had to do it, I would lean towards 22RE Preformance.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Depending on where you are located, I would check to see what your local shop charges.

Shipping will kill you IF there is a problem that involves you pulling the engine back out and shipping it off. I was looking into 22RE performance to build an engine (They are about 8 hours away from me) but shipping would be an extra $500.

Turns out a local shop here has a better warranty than both 22RE performance and Oregon Engine builders, and they are 10 minutes away.

Just my two cents, I know a lot of companies have flashy websites but in reality if a local shop has a good reputation, and newer machine equipment, and at least a one year warranty, thats your best bet.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:33 PM

Japenese engines.com,no core,new, not rebuilt engines,free shipping for about $1600.check their ad on e-bay for added discount

Last edited by armassey; 06-06-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Be nice to know just what is wrong with your engine??

The oil has to be coming out under pressure.

When this happened did it start knocking or was there a loud bang or did it just up and quit??
Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 AM

No my engine didn't just quit. There was no engine noise at all (beyond normal sounds). It was still running last time I parked it 3 months ago (although now it won't start). It was just losing too much oil and power to keep driving it. I took it to 3 different shops and got 3 different answers regarding what was wrong. Last place told me the engine was shot but upon further investigation I found they didn't do a compression check; they thought that solely based on the amount of oil leaking. Local shop quoted me $3600 for a new engine & labor.
I'm still trying to figure this out. Is the rocker arm cover the same thing as the valve cover? Or is it a seperate part underneath that?
Is the front seal the same thing as the front crankshaft seal?
I have the Chilton's manual but it seems like they use different terms in different parts of the book, and when your as ignorant as me when it comes to mechanics I can't even figure out where to start.
Why would the truck not start now after sitting for a few months? Oil is still full, gas etc. It turns over fine but won't catch.
I don't think the rings are shot as there was no smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

Thanks!!!
Angie
Old 09-28-2010, 01:37 PM

Red face

It could be your fuel pump sock has varnish from setting so long.

Just curious how much gas was in the tank when you parked it.

If you have a pressure washer clean the engine and try and figure out where the oil is coming from. If it is the front seal the fan will blow it back over the engine.

Be a shame to get a new engine when a seal or gasket and a few hours might fix the problem.

Good luck let us know how you make out.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:22 AM

Thanks Wyoming9. Probably not much gas when I parked it (i'd say under a 1/4 tank).
Where is the front seal? Is that the same thing as the front crankshaft seal?

Thanks again,
Angie
Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Where r u from? maybe someone on here near can look at it for you?

Front seal is crankshaft seal ...yes.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
best price and quality I have seen is General Machine in Arcata CA.
707 822 2532
Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 AM

Thanks HighLux! I think it could be that as it has never been replaced. I live in the Rockies in Leadville, CO. I think i'll try doing that, at least now I know what the book is trying to tell me.

Cute dog.

Thanks,
Angie
Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 AM

I live in Leadville as well.....Funny, If I had to get an engine on a budget I would go with Oregon Engine rebuilders, there really isn't much in the way of shops up here I would trust. Oregon Engines has a a good rep on this board and I have read plenty of threads with people talking about good experiences they have had with their 22RE's and 3VZE's.
http://oregonengines.net/
Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 AM

I could come take a look at it if you want as well
Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 AM

Here is oregon engines "super stock" a pretty good deal IMO:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22R-2...ht_1420wt_1167
Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtnangie
No my engine didn't just quit. There was no engine noise at all (beyond normal sounds). It was still running last time I parked it 3 months ago (although now it won't start). It was just losing too much oil and power to keep driving it. I took it to 3 different shops and got 3 different answers regarding what was wrong. Last place told me the engine was shot but upon further investigation I found they didn't do a compression check; they thought that solely based on the amount of oil leaking. Local shop quoted me $3600 for a new engine & labor.
I'm still trying to figure this out. Is the rocker arm cover the same thing as the valve cover? Or is it a seperate part underneath that?
Is the front seal the same thing as the front crankshaft seal?
I have the Chilton's manual but it seems like they use different terms in different parts of the book, and when your as ignorant as me when it comes to mechanics I can't even figure out where to start.
Why would the truck not start now after sitting for a few months? Oil is still full, gas etc. It turns over fine but won't catch.
I don't think the rings are shot as there was no smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

Thanks!!!
Angie
If it were my rig I would take it to the car wash let it cool off and wash all the oil off the motor. Then drive it home and look where the oil leak is. It can only be from a few places - pan, valve cover, oil pump, pcv. Take some pics and post em up here. Take a vid of what it is doing. I am pretty certain someone on here will figure it out pretty quick and tell you how to fix it yourself.
BTW General Machine has a better price than OE. http://humboldt.craigslist.org/pts/1979588725.html

Last edited by toyospearo; 09-29-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There you go...someone in town to at least help diagnose it. You claimed not to know alot about engines....so I figured some help would be appreciated.

Spearo has a great idea there....maybe you could spray some engine degreaser from autozone on the engine and let it soak for 15 min then rinse it with a hose...that would help clean it up to see where the oil is coming from...
Old 09-29-2010, 08:38 AM

Thanks pruney81, toyospearo, and HighLux! Yes I need to clean it well again... unfortunately it's not running right now to take it to the carwash (or get the oil circulating through it again). You guys are awesome, at least I have some ideas now. I really appreciate the help.
I have done the oil pump seal & o-ring, and then again to add a speedi-sleeve when that didn't work, and the PCV valve. So I was thinking either the valve cover gasket or the front crankshaft seal.
Still one question, is the valve cover gasket the same thing as the rocker arm cover? Or are those 2 different things?

Nice avatar pic pruney81!

Thanks,
Angie
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 AM

Okay wait a minute...the front main seal (the crankshaft seal) is the same as the seal that is in the oil pump? Is this correct? If so then I have already done this and need to go in a different direction...

Thanks,
Angie
Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the o-ring in the oil pump and the frt main seal are different. The fraint main seal is on the timing cover.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Red face

On the 22r series engines the front seal is in the oil pump housing and is so much easier to change with the oil pump on the bench. The o ring gasket just seals the outside of the oil pump housing .We need to find where the oil is leaking

It was nice to offer to go help I hope you can work something out to help here .

Just wondering have you read any of Louis L`Amour Books ?

The name Angie reminds me of one book.

lets get this ladies truck fixed.