Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Need Help with engine coolant temp sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with engine coolant temp sensor issue

1987 4runner. 4 cyl. Every once in a while it would begin to run rough with little power. I'd have to pop the hood and jiggle the engine coolant sensor. It would do fine after that until it would decide to do it again. Finally, once I jiggled the wire from on down the line. After that, it never worked again. I suspect it was where the line goes rather than the end that connects to the top of the engine. I've done compression test, spark plug checks, and even tested the coolant sensor hole with current. Does anyone know where this wire goes (dissapears through the narrow corridors of the engine)? Could a connection in the dash causes this issue? Does it even go to the dash??

Please help!!
burtsherrill@yahoo.com
Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Red face Coolant sensor revised

Wow, thank you for the awsome response with pics! I did not extpect to get such a good reply. Well, I tinkered around on it for a while longer. I have a new thought. According to your pics, it was the 'water thermo switch that I have been wiggling to get it to run better. I noticed that the wire runs around and past an injector which is right under the EFI on the top of the engine. I looked closer at the injector. It is loose. I can turn it all of the way around with my fingers. Could this be my problem? Perhaps that wire was wiggling it just enough and now it has given up??

If so, do It looks like I have to take alot of stuff apart to get to it. Or is there a trick to removing and replacing it?

Please keep helping me...

Thanks
Burt
burtsherrill@yahoo.com
Old 02-11-2009, 02:43 AM

Wow, you've got it going on! Thanks!!

Yes, the engine is still running. I can even drive it. It's just slow and rough.

I did take the wiring harness apart (all of the tape and sleeve). I could not find any breaks in the wires. I removed about a foot of it. The wires were so tight, that I could not see removing any more tape. I dont think it could have come apart anywhere further up the line. I guess there could be a wire break somewhere under the EFI sign. That is where the line splices off in about 3 or 4 directions within the engine passages.

Still don't know??

Burt