Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Making 2002 4Runner SR5 a little more sporty

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock Slide
[/I]

No.

Let me clarify my previous statement. (Even after I read it, I was confused.) The scoop itself is molded into the hood. That's all one piece. However the front of the hood scoop is a seperate piece. See the pic of my hood below. The ring around the scoop and the grille that you can't see. That's the extra piece:

[EDIT] And in my previous post when I said: but the good news is, they'll bolt right up, I meant the hood will bolt right up...didn't mean to imply the scoop bolts on top of the hood.

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I'll need to search the salvage yards for one in my color.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Speedy
Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I'll need to search the salvage yards for one in my color.
It won't be that easy depending on the color of your 4Runner... highlander/sport editions were only produced in certain colors...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by garrett1478
It won't be that easy depending on the color of your 4Runner... highlander/sport editions were only produced in certain colors...
Mine's the same color as Rock Slides'. The price will be the determining factor.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

<------------ add some stickers
Old 08-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garrett1478 is right. It'll be hard, but not completely impossible to find a sport hood in a salvage yard. The chances you'll find one in perfect shape and w/o any color fading will be like finding a needle in a haystack.

You might want to call your local toy dealer just to get an idea how much a new hood would cost first. Then call a paint shop and get a quote. At least this will give you a point of reference to see if it's worth your time looking through junk yards instead. Just a thought.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:39 AM

Garrett1478 is right. It'll be hard, but not completely impossible to find a sport hood in a salvage yard. The chances you'll find one in perfect shape and w/o any color fading will be like finding a needle in a haystack.

You might want to call your local toy dealer just to get an idea how much a new hood would cost first. Then call a paint shop and get a quote. At least this will give you a point of reference to see if it's worth your time looking through junk yards instead. Just a thought.

Good points. I'll see what I can find out.

I'm having a helluva time finding nerf bars. I thought those things were a dime a dozen, but seems a lot of the manufacturers have gone belly up. I thought I had a bead on the stock Toyota tube steps, but even they're discontinued
Old 08-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Banned

the slider industry is booming...
Old 08-11-2006, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Nerf bars fazed out in the late '90s as it seems those are the only trucks sporting them.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, one thing I don't like about nerf bars, is they give way too much when a small amount of pressure is applied. Plus if you ever plan to offroad even a small amount, you have a better chance of damaging them then sliders.

I just got my sliders installed a week ago and love their durability. Richard Stubbs makes the best sliders out there!

Old 08-11-2006, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Nerf bars fazed out in the late '90s as it seems those are the only trucks sporting them.
Uh, not really. Every Rav4 and Nissan PU/SUV I see here in TN have them from the factory. The ones on the Nissans even look like the Maniks. Although I believe the more modern term for thems is "side steps".
Old 08-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

My definition of the nerf bars are the big chrome round ones that are on a lot of the '80s toy PUs,the current ones on the newer SUVs are actually functional tube step bars and haven't heard the term "nerf" since a ways back.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

i may be wrong, but isn't it correct that the 4runner was not made with a factory hood scoop in the desert dune flavor?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
My definition of the nerf bars are the big chrome round ones that are on a lot of the '80s toy PUs,the current ones on the newer SUVs are actually functional tube step bars and haven't heard the term "nerf" since a ways back.

I'm not wild about the big tubes either. The ones I'm seeking are the step type. I may end up going with some Mussa in black ($119 cheap) and having them powder coated a flat titanium color, or maybe chromed depending on the price.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by wjwerdna
i may be wrong, but isn't it correct that the 4runner was not made with a factory hood scoop in the desert dune flavor?

correct.

You could always become the 1st!

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-11-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 AM

Thought I'd post a little update today.

I got the Ivan Steward TRD wheels mounted and love them. I ended up ordering the Mussa tube steps which ended up being identical to the Manik tube steps all the way down to the bolts. Makes me wonder if they are both made by the same company. I removed the step pads and end caps and dropped the tube steps off to my powder coater to have them blasted and coated in "Iron Gray Metallic". I also had all the brackets bead blasted and powder coated a flat black. I did this for two reasons, number one I didn't like the black color as that was just too bland, and number two I wanted the finish to be very durable and avoid rust which powder coating does beautifully.

I've removed the factory running boards and found some Highland brand front mud guards that fit very nicely with some minor dremel tool work. These guards fit perfectly and look factory installed.

I also got the factory Hella fog lamps from Performance Products. My 2002 SR5 4Runner came pre-wired for these, so I just ordered the headlight dimmer switch assembly that comes with the fog light collar from Northridge. It took about 10 minutes to put the new dimmer switch in and made for a completely plug and play install of the fog lamps. Very cool.

I should be getting the tube steps back from the powder coater in the next couple of days. I've already done a test fitting, so they'll be easy to bolt right up.

I'm still planning on doing the wiring modifications to allow the DRLs to be turned off. Since I went with the factory dimmer switch on the fogs, I can use the dash switch that came with the fogs as the DRL switch, again to look factory installed. I'm also going to do the other wiring mod to allow the fog lamps to work with the parking lights and high beams. I plan to do this under the fuse box rather than bending a prong on the fog light relay.

Finally I'll be doing the sport hood install. I've got the work priced out and while a little steep, I think it'll be worth it. The hood and parts for the scoop were pretty cheap, it was the paint work and blending that got pricey. Once it's complete I'll post some pictures.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Good to hear!

Looking forward to the pics. I've been wanting to do the Fog light Mod on mine too, just haven't gotten around to it.

Yeah, you'll love the scooped hood. Very cool I must say.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:43 AM

Well, project "SportRunner" has been a few months in the making, but it's wrapping up.

Just an update. The sport hood was installed by the best body shop in town. They did an awesome job and I'm thrilled with the new look of the vehicle. All that's left is for me to perform the "Andymod" and put dry transfer labels on all my switches.

I'm considering the Satoshi mod as well, just to finish it off. I'm gonna call a couple salvage yards today to try to find a 1996-1998 grill.

Thanks for all the advice and assistance. Pictures to come shortly.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:34 PM

Stage1 is complete. Here's what's been done thus far:

TRD Wheels
OEM Sport Hood
DRL disable switch
TRAC disable switch aka "Andymod"
Front mud guards
Tube Steps
Added factory fog lamps and used a factory fog light switch on the column
Fog light mod to allow fogs to work with parking lamps (used the solder under the fuse box method to make it look factory)

Pics of Project SportRunner....

BEFORE

After....

Here are a few detail pics:

Modded aftermarket front mug guards. Only slight trimming with a dremel was required to make these fit like factory.

I had some Mussa tube steps powder coated for durability. They're titanium metallic in a rough finish for grip:

I used a factory fog light switch for the fogs to keep things looking clean:

I labeled my axuiliary switches appropriately denoting DRL and TRAC. These are dry transfer letters from a hobby shop clear coated for durability.

My favorite part...the scoop hood:

Finally, I added a TRD emblem for poser points:

Stage2 will be the Satoshi mod.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by Speedy; 11-14-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Nice work! Glad to see all the mods have worked out for you.

On a side note, you might want to think about starting a YT "Profile". This would allow you to "show off" all your modifications and let others see your progress

oh and it helps you remember what all you've done to your 4Runner along the way...like me.

Take mine for example: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/rock-slides-2002-sport-90509/

And you can create one here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/
Old 11-15-2006, 08:44 AM

Nice work! Glad to see all the mods have worked out for you.

On a side note, you might want to think about starting a YT "Profile". This would allow you to "show off" all your modifications and let others see your progress

oh and it helps you remember what all you've done to your 4Runner along the way...like me.

Take mine for example: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90509

And you can create one here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Making 2002 4Runner SR5 a little more sporty