Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

installing a simple ignition kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing a simple ignition kill switch

Hey
So I just bought my 1988 toyota pickup v6 2 weeks ago and last night it was stolen, I discovered this 5 minutes after I left it when I returned to disconnect my spark plug wire to prevent it from being stolen. Long story short the cops found it 5 hours later a couple blocks away and I think its in need of a serious ignition kill switch installation haha. I need to find a toggle switch and install it somewhere hidden, my question is. How many watts/volts/amps/ohms ( all I know is that 12v is probably good to go) does a toggle switch need to have for it to work correctly once installed? Which wire coming from my key ignition should I splice for it? And which wire will I need topurchase for it to work? I'm thinking I just need to follow the wire through my firewall and splice it there and hide the switch somewhere under my dash, is this the correct way to go about doing this? I don't like working with my own electrical on my truck but this is relatively easy wiring so I just want to make sure I'm exactly correct on my ideas. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM

i got the same truck man std cab.. i put a switch in its a heavier duty one std on/off. i hid mine behind the glovebox area. if u pull apart your steering column and look at your ignition switch it will have each function of tghe switch marked so where it says start (i think) thats the one u wanna splice into. just be sure to conceal where u spliced into it cuz the thief could just trace it to the switch
Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Might also be careful posting were your going to hid the switch, I am sure there are scum bags browsing the forums that would love to know that its behind your glove box ect...

Op-
If you search for kill switch, you will find some nice write ups and how to wire them, super easy, and pretty quick to do. Just keep your kill switch location secret....Also, there are many other ways to implement a kill switch without even running off the ignition wire, I know mine is not tapped into that wire and it won't start with my switch engaged.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
there are RFID kill switchs you can pick up on Ebay for cheap..

or set up a relay as a kill, vehicle won't turn on unless some random accessory is turned on..

cig lighter/headlights are very popular might want to stay away from those...
Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get yourself one of these... Mount it so the key just hangs below the dash and remove the key... No one will ever see it and you'll have the key...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-1036/

That's what I had in my last truck and is now waiting to be installed on my 85... Although I got mine from Princess Auto and only paid $7.99

Last edited by 91 4Runner; 06-07-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 AM

well so far i just need something easy and quick so im thinking a 12v 30a toggle switch in my ignition line. Do i just disconnect the ignition wire from the starter and connect it to my switch and than run a 25amp fuse from it back to the starter? or will this blow me up?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 AM

if u are not sure u might just want to take it in and have someone else install it, if all u want is a kill switch for the starter that will not do anything if someone wants to steal it... if its a stick... bump start it then. also if its an auto then they can just run wire from battery to starter and fire it up that way... if it was me i would do it where it kills the power to the on position of the ignition and then u know that they cant steal it.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM

I think i'm going to scrap the whole ignition kill switch because i dont know where to get a professional to do it nor do i have the money to pay for that. I cant find anywhere online to find a detailed explanation of it either so I think ill just run it through my fuel pump power wire that way i just need a #14 wire and put it in the middle of the wire and that sounds a hell of a lot easier, that way if someone does push start it than it wont last for very long either...i hope. I hope this works before i kill myself or my truck
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM

well usually when a thief is tryin to steal something he doesnt hang around trouble shooting why it doesnt start
Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 PM

I recommend a battery buddy

I found 2 Battery Buddies on Ebay for $50.00. It's a push button battery disconnect, and will prevent your battery from draining too much when you are runnin accesories without the truck running. It also makes working on your truck easier. One can disconnect the entire positive electrical system with push of a hidden button, and reconnect it by pushing the same button.

http://batterybuddy.com/
Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Couldn't you just remove the clutch start cancel switch and hide the button to push when only you need to start it. Name:  _MG_4291.jpg
Views: 5203
Size:  46.3 KB
Old 06-07-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if you have an electric fuel pump you can put the switch on there..

did that on the Honda.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Couldn't you just remove the clutch start cancel switch and hide the button to push when only you need to start it.

Uhm...No?

They'd still be able to start it by pushing the clutch in.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:46 PM

How so, with that device not in? I took it out and joined the wires trying to diagnose an intermittent starting problem some time back.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:50 PM

OK I was referring to the foot switch as the CSCS,,,,, its on the dash. My bad. Never mind, I need to think it through more thoroughly. I'm tired I'll do it later.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:52 PM

cause with that pulled its just stopping the starter from working, and with a clutch u can just bump start it.. the best is one that cuts the fuel pump or spark so the motor will not run at all.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Thanks guys, I'm going to just throw it in my fuel pump line tomorrow and maybe throw in a second one somewhere if i need it, we'll see. I love working with my truck but i hate electricity! Anyways thanks guys you've all helped buttloads!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
cause with that pulled its just stopping the starter from working, and with a clutch u can just bump start it.. the best is one that cuts the fuel pump or spark so the motor will not run at all.

Good point thanks.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:49 AM

the simplest and cheapest and fastest way of implementing a kill switch is to pull the "efi" fuse in the fuse block under the hood, wire in a 30amp 12v toggle switch (in the location of your choice). be sure to include an inline fuse holder so you still have a fuse in your efi circuit. vehicle wont start with it off, no fuel will be delivered. also if you flip it while the vehicle is running, it will sputter and die lol
Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NCalDyer
the simplest and cheapest and fastest way of implementing a kill switch is to pull the "efi" fuse in the fuse block under the hood, wire in a 30amp 12v toggle switch (in the location of your choice). be sure to include an inline fuse holder so you still have a fuse in your efi circuit. vehicle wont start with it off, no fuel will be delivered. also if you flip it while the vehicle is running, it will sputter and die lol
x2 on easiest disabling of vehicle. pull that fuse and it's crankin' but not startin'. but the one i remove is in the driver's kick panel, much easier to reach w/o opening the hood.

you could also pull the fuse box forward, and put your switch inline behind the fuse. then the fuse socket will look like there's a fuse in it, but that fuse will be bypassed in behind by the switch you install. if you use a metal toggle, make it 25 amp, since the fuse is 20amp.

if you use a lower amperage switch, you must use a relay configuration with 30AMP relay. otherwise something like a 10amp plastic switch may eventually melt down inside.

Quick Reply: installing a simple ignition kill switch