Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

help on my 99 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help on my 99 4runner

can anyone help me with suggestion on getting more power out of my 4runner it feels like its running very weak with no power what so ever
Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
basic tune up change the fuel filter?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 PM

spark plugs been changed fuel filter has been changed what else do i need to do my throttle body dirty so should i clean that?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
may also want to clean the maf sensor too
Old 06-26-2008, 12:08 AM

i'll get a can of Seaform just to let out the carbon deposit, then OEM sparks and wire set, air filter. you should have all these done in an hour. tranny, T-case, diff. fluids. next would be timing and valve adjustment.

since you are in Curlyfornia, the air/fuel sensor, commonly mistaken for an O2 sensor, sometimes can gone bad without throw a code. check it with a mulitimeter, there are tons of discussion about it.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
supercharger
Old 06-27-2008, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
supercharger

when i get the money mos def the charger will come into place hahah
Old 06-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Question
can anyone help me with suggestion on getting more power out of my 4runner it feels like its running very weak with no power what so ever
Answer
Originally Posted by TC4RNR
i'll get a can of Seaform just to let out the carbon deposit, then OEM sparks and wire set, air filter. you should have all these done in an hour. tranny, T-case, diff. fluids. next would be timing and valve adjustment.

since you are in Curlyfornia, the air/fuel sensor, commonly mistaken for an O2 sensor, sometimes can gone bad without throw a code. check it with a mulitimeter, there are tons of discussion about it.
This is the best reply I have seen to question like this. I couldn't agree more with the Dr.'s prescription here. Keep us posted on what you do to fix your problem. It will help others that have the same issues.

Last edited by Strap22; 06-27-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Strap22
Question

Answer

This is the best reply I have seen to question like this. I couldn't agree more with the Dr.'s prescription here. Keep us posted on what you do to fix your problem. It will help others that have the same issues.

umm, well you cannot check the proper function of an air fuel sensor with a multimeter. an o2 sensor maybe, air fuel, not at all. you need to hook up to the ecu with a computer (obd II) and monitor the waveform. all a good air fuel sensor will show you on a multimeter is a steady .65 or .66 volts no matter what it is actually reading, that is all. the air fuel -waveform- is calculated within the ecu. you need to get THAT reading, not the volts from the sensor itself.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:51 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
umm, well you cannot check the proper function of an air fuel sensor with a multimeter. an o2 sensor maybe, air fuel, not at all. you need to hook up to the ecu with a computer (obd II) and monitor the waveform. all a good air fuel sensor will show you on a multimeter is a steady .65 or .66 volts no matter what it is actually reading, that is all. the air fuel -waveform- is calculated within the ecu. you need to get THAT reading, not the volts from the sensor itself.
It seems someone else has some more detail information. I would still read the other links and for $10.00 a day you can logon to TIS (Toyota Information System) and and get the repair and testing procedures. You can even take it to a "Stealership" for diagnosis....

I am glad to see you know how to make a POINT using CAPS.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Moved to Newbie Tech Section.

This topic has been discussed more times than most of us care to think about.

Basic things have already been listed:

-Complete tune-up (including fuel filter)
-Clean MAF (this is surprisingly effective and easy)
-Given that it's a Cali spec vehicle (I am assuming) it will have both an A/F and an O2 sensor (one before the cats and one aft) check them out the best you can with the tools you have (or buckle down and pay someone)

As long as she is mechanically sound, I would suggest doing the deckplate mod. Do a search for "3rd gen deckplate" and you will get more hits than you know what to do with.

The ISR mod is another good mod and is very easy. I opted for the Airaid MIT, as it is a cleaner look but also more $$. Do a search for "ISR mod" and "Airaid MIT" and see what you come up with.

I know with my '99, when my cat(s) starting going out it started running like crap, mileage dropped about 3-4mpg, idle was rough. Once I got that whole ordeal sorted out (search for "dual cat 4runner cali Fink") she was running like a champ again.

Somebody check me on my O2/AF sensor. I know I had two sensors and I know the one aft of the cats was an O2 given that I had to install a Rear O2 Sim from URD.

Good luck,

Fink
Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 AM

thanks guys i did the maf cleaning process and throttle body cleaning to and it feel alittle bit better but i think i have to change the o2 sensor soon