Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Fuel vent lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel vent lines

hello folks newbie here
i have a ? does anyone knows if it's bad if the return fuel line from the carb to the canister and tank to the charcoal are connected together? my car has no charcoal canister and the previous owner connected those 2 lines together with a plugged. so nothing is getting vented the way this lines are hooked up? i do have some problems "minor" im chasing down and im wondering if this could have some negative effect. motor is a 22r all stock. the picture shows a weber but the pic is being use as reference.

i added some pics i found on the web. those are the 2 lines im talking about.

Last edited by Hxckid213; 01-09-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 PM

anyone? i do smell fuel when windows are rolled down. could this be the problem.....
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, this looks like an early '80s truck by seeing the fuel filter up in the engine compartment. However, on my '87 22R there is no fuel return line at the carburetor. The fuel return is at the fuel pump. So your probably meaning the fuel vapor line. And I'm also assuming your saying that the previous owner ran a rubber line from the gas tank vapor line to the carburetor.

Anything going to a charcoal canister is for emissions purposes only. It's part of the EVAP system. When the vehicle is stopped and parked, fuel in the float bowl, or even the fuel tank, can evaporate and the charcoal canister would collect those fumes to be later ingested back into the engine.

What minor problems are you having?

Do you have an aftermarket Weber like the pic you found?

Regarding the excess fuel smell, it sounds like you have a fuel leak.

Last edited by slow-mo; 01-13-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by slow-mo
Well, this looks like an early '80s truck by seeing the fuel filter up in the engine compartment. However, on my '87 22R there is no fuel return line at the carburetor. The fuel return is at the fuel pump. So your probably meaning the fuel vapor line. And I'm also assuming your saying that the previous owner ran a rubber line from the gas tank vapor line to the carburetor.

Anything going to a charcoal canister is for emissions purposes only. It's part of the EVAP system. When the vehicle is stopped and parked, fuel in the float bowl, or even the fuel tank, can evaporate and the charcoal canister would collect those fumes to be later ingested back into the engine.

What minor problems are you having?

Do you have an aftermarket Weber like the pic you found?

Regarding the excess fuel smell, it sounds like you have a fuel leak.
hello, to be honest i do not drive a truck, i have a 82 celica with a 22r motor. i have search this site and found tons of info comparing to celica-gts. i use the picture as reference i do own a weber but its not in the celica yet. on my celica the fuel filter is on the firewall just chilling i don't know if it comes there or the previous owner put it there.

this is the line im referring to is the line that comes from the stock 22r carb is coming out of the outer vent valve and i believe it's connected to a canister?

but in my car that hose is connected to the hose from the tank which i think it's the vapor/fuel vent line that goes to another canister.

the minor problems i have are smell of fumes if i open the windows the car bogs down at 35mph everytime it's like a pause.