Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

fuel doctor

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel doctor

Have you guys heard of the fuel doctor?
http://www.fueldoctorusa.com/?gclid=...FQkGbAodfESJpw

Apparently this thing will give you better gas mileage. I study electrical engineering so I understand that filtering off the ripple to give you a "more DC" voltage is important for many applications but I know nothing about ECU's. Will having a more constant 12V make the ecu more accurate or efficient? What do you guys think? Could this thing really work?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 AM

heres a better link where they explain how it works.

http://www.fueldoctorusa.com/how-it-works/
Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thing looks like just another scam, the website is saying that as a vehicle gets older that the electrical noise will cause more interference with the vehicles sensors and such. I do know that if your diode is bad in your alternator and it puts out AC current that yes it will have an effect on your vehicle. Usually the electrical noise has to be pretty close to any system that it is effecting, and you will be able to tell something is wrong. Your gas mileage does not go down with age due to electrical noise, it goes down due to carbon buildup and wear on the drivetrain. I am getting over 20mpg in my pickup after a tune up, seafoam treatment and the right fuel, which is right where epa stated in 1988. If that website was right my mpg should be way down after 23 years.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by James Woods
This thing looks like just another scam, the website is saying that as a vehicle gets older that the electrical noise will cause more interference with the vehicles sensors and such. I do know that if your diode is bad in your alternator and it puts out AC current that yes it will have an effect on your vehicle. Usually the electrical noise has to be pretty close to any system that it is effecting, and you will be able to tell something is wrong. Your gas mileage does not go down with age due to electrical noise, it goes down due to carbon buildup and wear on the drivetrain. I am getting over 20mpg in my pickup after a tune up, seafoam treatment and the right fuel, which is right where epa stated in 1988. If that website was right my mpg should be way down after 23 years.

Well that's what I figure too, but I was just wondering if there was any truth to it because, like I said, I know nothing about the ecu or many of the sensors. I think its kind of interesting. I'm pretty sure that the alternator does not produce a completely clean dc voltage and was wondering if this voltage was cleaner, would it improve the performance of the ecu?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

If that were the case, now days with everyone buying hybrid vehicles and worried about gas prices, I would think that the manufactures would start installing capacitors to make the ecu more efficient. The auto manufactures have some of the brightest engineers around and they are all paid to just stand around and throw out new idea's. I would think that if there was any truth to this new gadget that you wouldn't actually need it because your new car would already have this technology installed.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
give it a whirl and let us know if it helps out
Old 12-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Outsane
give it a whirl and let us know if it helps out

haha, no thanks. It seems a little expensive to me and I generally don't trust TV products. Just stumbled across it and was kind of intrigued. It relates to what I study in school and I'm bored so just curious what people think of it. I think it makes for a half way interesting discussion.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by James Woods
If that were the case, now days with everyone buying hybrid vehicles and worried about gas prices, I would think that the manufactures would start installing capacitors to make the ecu more efficient. The auto manufactures have some of the brightest engineers around and they are all paid to just stand around and throw out new idea's. I would think that if there was any truth to this new gadget that you wouldn't actually need it because your new car would already have this technology installed.

Hey maybe they do. Sometimes simple things get overlooked.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Possibly, I know Subaru or GM does not have a device like this, not like that is stating anything, GM is always behind.