Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

flasher or wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flasher or wiring?

i have posted this problem before and have looked at the things people have said. the problem is that the left front turn signal doesn't work. theback left does but it flashes fast. is it the flasher? i removed the wiring harness for a hitch. it was said that may be to problem. no luck. i replaced the bulb, no luck. i would replace the flasher but as stupid as it sounds i can't find it. the parking light (side marker light) does work. so i got my test light and made sure i had a good ground. tested the wires with the parking light on and my test light will light up. turn the turn signal on and nothing. i know i sound stupid. please help. repair shops around here are very expensive. the truck is a 1989 4x4 , 5 speed, 22re 134,00 miles.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:30 PM

The flasher is fine. The back left flashes fast because of the blown out front left. Fix the front left and they both will flash like normal. Don't trust me? Turn on you right blinker and pull out one of the bulbs on the right side. The other one will flash faster now. As for the reason the front left does not work you will have to dig in deeper. Gotta be either bulb or wiring if the back left works. And you said you did the bulb, so check the wires.

Good Luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Hey 89,

Flashers are calibrated for a certain number of lamps, if they do not have the amperage load, of all those lamps, they will flash faster, its also a way for You to know that You have a signal light out.

If You replaced the bulb that does not work, then the signal bulb/lamp is not being fed 12v because of another problem.

Your next move, is to take Your test light to the signal bulb socket in question, and check for 12v at the 2 small contacts, inside the socket. Remember if you touch the test light probe to the contact, and the sleeve/ground at the same time, You will blow the fuse, and must replace it to continue troubleshooting.

If it dosent flash with 12v, then you must find the break in the wire

If You cant find the flasher, then just follow the sound when its flashing, but I dont think its Your problem.

Thanks Kiwi
Old 03-13-2008, 04:49 PM

thanks. i'll try looking more tomarrow night when i get home from work.