Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Ever wanted to spend someone else's money? Decide how to build my truck!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever wanted to spend someone else's money? Decide how to build my truck!

First off Hi everyone and thanks for the help. Complete Newb here. Did quite a bit of searching and reading over the past week or so, and I have an idea of what I want to build. I just want to run it by the experts first and see what you guys think. The only problem I'm having is that I know little to nothing about building an off road truck and pretty much everyone writes their posts as if they are talking to experts (makes sense, most of you are talking to experts) which makes it tough for newbies like me to understand.

First a little background. Sorry if any of this sounds dumb. I am pretty much completely new to off roading. I collect hobbies and just haven't gotten to this one until now. Once I decide on one I learn as much as you can in a few years then move on. Some highlights of my resume: firearms (never outgrew this one), wood working, sailing (led to building a sailboat), protection dog training, leatherwork/how to use a whip, knife making/throwing, home improvement/DIY.

Well now I'm about to buy a truck and it's going to become my new automotive/off roading hobby.

My uses for the truck are this, listed in order:
1) Practicality. I already have 2 daily driver cars. Need a truck for all the usual truck stuff. Hauling trash, transporting materials for my hobbies/projects, helping friends move, camping at the beach or in a campground, towing stuff when the need arises ect.

2) Going places my cars can't. Not really trying to tear up the trails and impress the off-roaders with this one, just don't want to look at a mud puddle and wonder if I can make it to the other side. Obstacles I may encounter include medians, curbs, swampy fields, small creeks/drainage ditches, ect. I'll be taking it off roading for fun occasionally but it isn't the main focus of this project. It'll probably all be on the trails on Fort Bragg, NC or in the Uwharrie offroad park in Troy, NC.

3) Not being ashamed of my 2004 cavalier. Like I said I've got 2 daily drivers already. Neither one really fits a guy that competes in shooting competitions, built a sailboat, and trained a 110 lbs attack dog. I need something to drive to work every once in a while to stop people from making fun of my cavalier.

So i guess here are my goals:

1) Maintain it's usefulness. I want to avoid lifting it too much (or at all) so I can still load stuff easily and get decent gas mileage. Need a ladder rack so I can move full sheets of plywood and large boards, trailer hitch for pulling stuff.

2) Independence. Need to be able to manage self recovery and not break down on the trail. Pushing stuff out of the way might be useful occasionally.

Right now I'm looking at buying a 1993 Extended Cab 4x4 with a 3.0L V6. After buying it I should have about $3,000 left in my budget just to spend on modifications. So after a ladder rack and a trailer hitch I should still have a decent amount to spend.

Here's what I'm thinking:
1) Lockers. Need some help deciding exactly what I need here. Like I said it's hard to understand this stuff for a complete newb no matter how much you search (this site and others. I've read a lot of info on them and it sounds like I would be best suited with on-command/manually operated lockers. Need suggestions here for a brand that would be best for the truck I described.

2) Armor. This seems to be very important for reliability. I'd rather spend the money now and not worry about it rather than knock something off on a rock and spend a ton to get my truck recovered/repaired.

3) Tires. Seems like this is the only lift I'm really going to need. Sounds like 33's are the magic number but I could be wrong. I don't mind trimming the fenders with my angle grinder or banging stuff out of the way with a hammer if it lets me fit the size I need without lifting the truck.

4) Winch. 8000lbs seems like the standard.

5) Bumpers. I don't think I need anything too crazy here. I've seen some tube steel ones that looked like they would handle bumping into stuff and not be too expensive to put together.

Well what does everyone think? I've got the cash to go buy the truck tomorrow and start ordering parts, and I've got most of the tools I'll need. I just want to hear from the experts on whether I sound crazy or I have a good idea of what fits my needs.

Please respond with what you would put on the truck for my needs, or if you think my ideas are completely out of whack. Specific brand names and such would be appreciated to make the ordering process easier. Just look at it as building a truck with someone else's money. I always document my projects so look forward to lots of pictures and a build thread.

Thanks for all your help and for taking your time to read all this, I just wanted to make sure everyone knew what I was looking for.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Do you plan to do all this work yourself??

Had you thought of looking for a truck that all ready has had all the goodies installed? One can sometimes save a bunch of money and time

Remember with a 8000 pound winch if you are doing a single pull that is your cable attached to a anchor . Your winch only has the 8000 pound rating when the drum is empty .

Another thing to ponder from your post it seems your not going real hard core how often do you really need to winch yourself through the obstacle that has you stuck. Receiver mount able to move front to back might be a option.

easier to winch out backwards find another way around at least for me

We all do things different there is no need for anyone to keep up with the rich kid down the street.

Good luck
Old 12-28-2011, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wyoming9
I notice you live in New Tripoli, PA. I lived in Kutztown but now live in Downingtown, PA. I still come up to your area alot-for the food Ha! Ha!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2" lift
33s
Rear spool
Sliders
Front and rear bumpers
Winch

I got everything but the 33s

:wabbit2:
Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 AM

I don't mind doing the work myself. I don't mind getting one that's already built either. Everything I find for sale is a lot further modded than what I want. Because of the Uwharrie trails being so close most of the offroad trucks I find on craigslist are V8 with 5-9" of lift ect. Not really what I'm looking for.

I'm still not sure if I need a winch, but I don't have any friends that are into offroading so I can't count on having someone to pull me out while I'm just learning what the truck can do. I just assumed a winch was the way to go for that reason alone. If everyone thinks it's unnecessary then I won't bother.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would recommend a Winch over a Locker any day of the week. I consider a Winch the Ultimate Locker. Backing out of a situation is generally easier then going forward and a More Power Puller should be on that list of recovery equipment. With a More Power Puller you can attach from anywhere and pull in every direction.

If I was to do a locker, I would stick with selectable and place it in the front diff. I have found the front pulling is far easier then the rear pushing.

Tire size helps out greatly, but tires will never be as important as Armor. Armor will provide you with many, many more benefits and options then tires. Plus with tires you would need to re-gear to keep what driving performance you have on and off road.

Another great resource for you, would be to look at many Expedition style Vehicles. Expo-vehicles are similar to describing what you are looking for in a rig. Check out this site. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php

Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just looking over this an what it seems like you are trying to do I agree wit waskillywabbit... other then any kind of lockers. Think once you get into gears and lockers your
gonna be putting in more money then you will use them.

I dont know about the v6s motors but I would think even with stock gears youd still be alright with 33s.

An what dark fairtales said "More Power Puller you can attach from anywhere and pull in every direction"
Which ima have to look into.

I put a smitty built 10k on steal plate that slides into my rear receiver an into the custom built front one too. just ran a couple weld leads with disconnects so the winch can ride safely in my toolbox. This thing has pulled my truck out of some sticky places.
But armor is def good.
Front bumper/brush guard, rock sliders and a skid plate are nice

If you do all the work yourself its cheaper an funner

I dont mind scratching my paint

Just ideas though...
Old 12-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Great info guys, keep it coming! The Expo site is pretty cool.

I've looked closer at the local trucks that are already modded. My two hangups are these: 1) Hard not to assume to assume they are all horribly abused. Do I really want to buy something that's been rode that hard to who knows how long? 2) All of the modded trucks I've seen have 5-9" of lift. From what I've read on here that seems pretty excessive. Is that normal?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 PM

4inch. 33's. front n rear bumpers from WABFAB and if u still have money rear spool. like he said. Wabs a smart man and thats a perfect DD right there. I had a ext cab with 4inch on 33's with f/r lockers and went as far as people with 37's just matters how u drive it.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 PM

Wab is on it as always. Sounds like the perfect setup, except no 3.4L swap lol
Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 PM

3.4 eventually yes

Or be like me and go SAS 3.4 and 37's all at once. TIME CONSUMING
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
2" lift
33s
Rear spool
Sliders
Front and rear bumpers
Winch

I got everything but the 33s

:wabbit2:

I agree with this list. Could even do w/o the lift, will clear 33s stock with a little pinch weld triming and if its going to see alot of street time, Id go with the locker over the spool, only to save on tire wear. But, nothing says cool like a spool. And maybe add a budbuilt skid just for piece of mind.

Dont be afraid of the V6. Its not a bad motor, just keep the cooling system in check, and dont buy one with an auto.

I vote buy one and build it your self. Will give you a better idea how the truck works.

Good Luck

Last edited by rattlewagon; 12-29-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:58 PM

I would keep looking for a truck with the 22RE, the V6's are far too problematic and get crappy gas mileage IMHO. The 22R series are what Toyota built their reputation on as far as trucks go, the 3VZE was kind of a fluke. Not Toyota's best moment in engineering.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:51 AM

I wouldn't go any taller than a 31 or 32 on stock gears with the 3.0L, especially with an automatic transmission. I have the 3vze with 32s and stock gears but with the 5 speed and it is a dog on hills...and on flat ground...

I suggest:
7mgte swap
4.88 gears
4" lift
SAS front, 63" Chevys in the rear
Open front, Locker in the rear
Sliders, winch, etc...

I also don't get why people are saying that the 3.0 gets horrible fuel economy. In the summer, I got 20 mpg city with my 32s, and that was with the uncorrected odometer. I just calculated about two months ago that with the 32s, I'm actually going 1.0666-something miles for every mile that my odometer says. Other than the head gasket issues and the lack of power, I haven't found anything else that I didn't like about it. I know it's off-topic, but...yeah, thought you'd like to know
Old 01-01-2012, 12:50 PM

Alright guys the deal fell through on that truck, he decided not to sell.

So tomorrow I'm going looking at a 1988 ext cab automatic with a 2" lift, front locker, new 30" dunlop mud tires, 22re, welded tube bumper in front. Whole truck has 163k miles on it. No engine noises, no rust on frame (some on bed though around fender).

I've never messed around much with automotive stuff but I'm determined to learn so I'll be doing the work myself. Also have a friend with a welder that's willing to help if I need him.

I'll start a build thread with pics when I get it so you can all watch me stumble through building this thing haha.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sandbox
Alright guys the deal fell through on that truck, he decided not to sell.

So tomorrow I'm going looking at a 1988 ext cab automatic with a 2" lift, front locker, new 30" dunlop mud tires, 22re, welded tube bumper in front. Whole truck has 163k miles on it. No engine noises, no rust on frame (some on bed though around fender).

I've never messed around much with automotive stuff but I'm determined to learn so I'll be doing the work myself. Also have a friend with a welder that's willing to help if I need him.

I'll start a build thread with pics when I get it so you can all watch me stumble through building this thing haha.
2" lift and it only has 30" tires? That'll be the first thing I would change

Sounds like a nice rig. Can't wait to see some pics!!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM

Sounds good. Similar to how my 86 was when I got it, except no loft and stock bumpers.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Rear locker. Aussie or lockright.
Sliders.
Underbelly skid plates.
Rear bumper.
Tires. 32's or 33's.
Gears, 5.29's.
Front bumper.

In that order.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You can always cut your fenders

No lift in the front, carefully adjusted front ride height, still plenty of drop, very important 1.5 inch block in the rear, 4.88's and rear spool. 2'' removed from fenders. and 33'' tires. 8K winch. This match your specs?

Cheap and wheeled awesome.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
Rear locker. Aussie or lockright.
Sliders.
Underbelly skid plates.
Rear bumper.
Tires. 32's or 33's.
Gears, 5.29's.
Front bumper.

In that order.

This guy gets it. Haha. OP I hope your starting to see a pattern here.

Quick Reply: Ever wanted to spend someone else's money? Decide how to build my truck!