Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Diff lock question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Low range is just a lower gear ratio in the transfer case. High range is typically 1:1, low range is typically on the 2.2:1 - 2.5:1 range, so you that much slower and have that much more torque to the road. RPM limit is no different in high or low range, that just depends on what the upper RPM limit of your engine is. Your Owner's Manual should have all the speed and shifting limits (if any) listed.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe R
OK, this is the thread I have been looking for. car is a 2000 land cruiser. AWD with center locking diff. Question 1: Can I lock the center differential at any speed in 4wd high range? If I'm on the highway, for instance, and it starts to snow - can I just hit the button and lock it? Question 2: what is the upper RPM range in 4wd LOW? I don't generally use low range, unless towing the boat off a ramp. I ask the question because I sometimes get into deep snow in the mountains, and I want to know when to get OUT of 4wd low. Question 3: isn't 4wd low the same as having locking front and rear diff? If not, what's the purpose of having a low range anyway?

Sorry if this does not make total sense - I'm trying to figure it all out.
1. Unless the vehicle has some sensor that doesn't allow you to, I see no reason you couldn't. I wouldn't lock it while making a turn, or sliding. I'd wait until going straight, take my foot off the gas for a few seconds, lock the button, wait for the dash to illuminate, and then go for it.

However, IMO, I'd never lock the center diff in the snow on the hwy. You already have AWD, which, in my experience, is much nicer on slick, snowy roads. If the snow was deep, then by all means, lock it up, but for regular snow pack, I'd leave it un locked.

2. Low range has the same RPM limit as high range. Your motor doesn't care what gear you are in.

3. not at all. Low range is a gear selection. It decreases the number of revolutions per minute of your tcase outputs by usually around a factor of 2-3, depending on your vehicle. It allows you to go slower, have more control, and put more torque to the ground.

Locking differentials take a differential and turn it into a spool, so no differentiation happens. This means that both wheels get the same amount of torque applied to them, regardless of traction. They are very desireable for a truck that sees a lot of difficult offroading. If a truck is used to go on dirt roads from time to time, they aren't really that useful.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick responses. The owner's manual does not indicate when you can or can't lock the center diff. - tells you how to (simply push the button). Understand now about 4WD low. I guess if I were an off-roader, I would want the lockers on the front and rear. The most off-roading I do is over sand in the summer. So, If I'm towing the boat off the ramp, 4wd low with center diff locked? Boat weighs 5k lbs.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd just put it in 4low. Unless the ramp is mud. But if its just wet pavement, I'd bet 4lo would be just fine.