Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Canada (Canadian), 3vz-e, power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada (Canadian), 3vz-e, power steering leak

My brother passed down a 89' Yota PU 4X4. Unfortunately, he bought this truck from a previous owner who moved from Canada to the U.S.

Now the power steering pump is leaking. I called a junk yard which specializes in Yota's. They told me that there are two different part numbers for the CAN and US power steering pumps.

1. Does anybody know the difference between the CAN and US version of the power steering?

2. Can I replace the CAN power steering for a US power steering?

3. Is the power steering rebuild kit complete if I were to rebuild the CAN power steering pump? (I went to Toyota dealership and they told me they had a rebuild kit, however, there were no specifics if it was compatible for the CAN power steering).

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

BTW, my brother used PS fluid (instead of ATF). I think this is what caused it to leak?

Thanks in advance for your help,
-edrive

p.s. I searched yotatech and found a very useful how-to rebuild power steering pump (http://members.cox.net/stacewilliams/ps-pump.htm). But cannot find any info for the CANADA power steering? I tried to search... spent 1+ hour searching and reading posts. I hope i did my due-diligence!!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:19 PM

Bump for me....

Bump, because I'm stumped!!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 PM

The only input that I have is that the PS fluid is what did you in.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:03 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, PSF = death (at least in my experience). Gotta use ATF.

I would imagine that if you replace the entire pump it would be interchangeable - might need a CAN specific rebuild kit if you're gonna go that route.

Oh, and replacing the pump is one of those "you have got to be kidding me" jobs on the 3VZE. WAYYY harder than it should be.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Yep, PSF = death (at least in my experience). Gotta use ATF.

I would imagine that if you replace the entire pump it would be interchangeable - might need a CAN specific rebuild kit if you're gonna go that route.

Oh, and replacing the pump is one of those "you have got to be kidding me" jobs on the 3VZE. WAYYY harder than it should be.

Defantly the PS fluid. It ruined mine, leak got so bad that when cranking full to full lock (like when parking) you could see the fluid is pouring out. It eventually sent the pully out into the radiator..

Im sure they are very small differences. I would just look online (or a local buy and sell) for your parts. I got my used ps pump (from an 89 2wd pickup) for $40.

Replacing the pump is a pain, theres no doubting it. But with alot of patience and some alcohol to clean the scrapes... it can be done in the driveway with just a few tools.