Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Arkansas 4runner, running rich?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arkansas 4runner, running rich?

I'm new to the forum, and a new owner and proud owner...but its diminishing...of a 95 4runner 3.0 v6 4x4. The thing ran great for the first few months I had it, but now its running really rough, with hardly any power. I've read up on a few things to check, but i'm running out of time. I work full time and go to school full time. I did a seafoam tune up, but that did not fix it... i'm wondering if there is a problem with my injectors?

Here is what I've done so far.
-Ran codes which pulled DTC codes 42 VSS Circuit & 43 Starter Signal Circuit
not that long ago i replaced a bad speedo-cable (speedometer works)
-I ran compression test on the spark plugs on the air intake side (easiest to get
to ;-) (it ran 120psi on all three)
-pulled spark plugs and they look cleanish

what I'm planning to do today before i have to go to work. check spark on plugs, and run a few ohm tests

Here is my questions:
Does anyone know of a trusted mechanic thats not going to rape me for all my money (which is very limited) that would diagnose and maybe fix if I can't do it myself (I live in NW arkansas (gentry to be more specific))

What are somethings that I should run my ohm meter on? cold start injector? egr?

please any comments and suggestions and pointers are greatly appreciated...

btw, love the forum, i have got a lot of useful info from here, but i have now run into something thats not been as easy to diagnose and tackle

Last edited by jeremy240; 02-17-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Have you checked for a vacuum leak? Timing belt might be an issue. Good luck
Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 AM

the hoses look like they are new, looks liek the previous owner replaced all the hoses, but yes, i did use the propane trick and ran it around all the hoses with no change in RPMs; I don't know how timing could have gotten off, i literally went in to work, came back out to leave and it was running like crap...nothing happened before that, really. every once in awhile it would have a rough start idle, but i'd turn it off and start it again and it went away, now its not at all...could it be a fuel pump? how do I check the fuel pump?

Last edited by jeremy240; 02-18-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:48 PM

I just replaced fuel filter today, and while it was off, i cranked the engine, and fuel poured out quite nicely! But yet, no go on the problem, still idles crappy, and drives with no power.

If no one pops in with a good mechanic around here, i'll probably just wait till i have spring break, and take the intake manifold off and replace fuel injectors, plugs, wires, PCV valve. anything else that would be good to replace while I have the intake off?

thanks in advance!!