Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Advice Requested; Plastic Floor Liner Removal.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Requested; Plastic Floor Liner Removal.

New to the forum. Restoring/ Customizing a '81 Yota 4x4 I picked up recently. I am in need of some help.

With all the interior removed, including the carpet and fabric heat/ noise liner. The floor has a plastic liner. It is in patches over various areas of the cab floor. This liner is painted to match the color of the cab. The floor is in poor shape over the body mounts so I need to see the extent of the rust so I can replace what is needed. I also need to remove the liner as the truck will be sanded to bare metal and treated against rusted. A spray on liner will replace whats currently there.

I tried paint remover which after 3 applications is letting me scrape the top of some areas off but really doing nothing. Goo-be-gone did a little better but I used about 1/2 a bottle for a small area. That stuff isn't super cheap either. Gas didn't do anything except give me a headache.

I imagine burning it off would work BUT the gas tank is still on the truck. I cannot currently remove it as someone along the life of this truck appears to have welded it onto the frame. Cutting tools and a leaking gas Tank Isn't my ideal situation.

I know when my parents had there tile floor replaced they used some kind of chemical to remove the tar underneath. I imagine that would do it but don't know anything about the chemical used. So I figured I'd ask the pros.

Thank you very very much for your assistance.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Dry ice and a chisel and it pops off in big chunks.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:57 PM

Thanks!

I had a little trouble tracking down dry ice but I was able to find it's sold at a near by Watsons. They're closed Sundays and I was unable to get there today (Saturday). So I'll run down there Monday morning. I'll have to find a way of entertaining myself tomorrow... Thanks a whole lot, I cant wait to see the results (I will wear gloves, lol)
Old 07-14-2007, 06:11 PM

Also, you can go to your local auto parts store and get some gasket remover. It's in a spray can and it's some nasty stuff, It'll eat anything!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just started smashing it with my slag hammer and it came off in no time at all only to reveal some nasty rust. Im going to use bedliner throughout the cab, Should turn out good.

I actually originally started smashing it with a wrench and it was chipping off like nothing, so I picked up the slag hammer and gave it ▓▓▓▓.

Last edited by Island_Yota; 07-14-2007 at 08:31 PM.