Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

94 v6 4x4 pickup rear dif noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 v6 4x4 pickup rear dif noise?

Howdy! Longtime listener, first time caller.

As the title suggests i have what I believe to be differential noise, kind of sounds like a helicopter spooling up(rotational wow wow wow wow) as I go from a stop up to speed. I thought start with the rear u-joint (have not replaced the front two on the rear section of the shaft, but they didn't seem terribly shot), replaced that, still have the noise. No unusual play in the pinion bearing (without taking the diff off) drained the fluid and there was a bit of metal shavings collected on the plug but no big chunks, last dif oil change before this one was maybe 30,000 ago. So my question is, anybody got any ideas on how to pin point it, or should i just rebuild the whole rear axle/dif?(has 237k with no work done to the rear other than fluid change) I mean it's not the most horrible noise, so chances are I'm going to just continue to drive it until the noise gets worse, but just wondering if anyone had encountered this before.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 08-25-2014, 04:55 PM

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:38 PM

I don't mean to insult you bro, but are you sure it's not tire noise? Rear diff noise I've heard is more of a gear whining sound. Harmonic noise like I'm imagining from reading your description is usually tires or a bearing. Any play in the axles? Just spit- ballin here.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:57 PM

No by all means insult. This is the newbie section right? It's not the tires, the truck has had the same tires for close to 6 years. It could be a wheel bearing. But I got no play anywhere really, just noise.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:27 PM

For giggles, take off the rear tires. Remove the drums and take a look, then remove the front tires and put them on the back, and back on front. see if the noise changes. (Barring that it is dry inside the drums)
Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by cpt_wonker
No by all means insult. This is the newbie section right? It's not the tires, the truck has had the same tires for close to 6 years. It could be a wheel bearing. But I got no play anywhere really, just noise.
Tires can go bad overtime. Just for giggles try swapping around the tires or even better swap with a known good set of tires to try. If the noise is still there that cancels out the tires
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM

I will get around to that in another 2 months.....when the snow tires go on. Thanks....
Old 08-26-2014, 08:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As the title suggests i have what I believe to be differential noise, kind of sounds like a helicopter spooling up(rotational wow wow wow wow) as I go from a stop up to speed. I thought start with the rear u-joint (have not replaced the front two on the rear section of the shaft, but they didn't seem terribly shot), replaced that, still have the noise. No unusual play in the pinion bearing (without taking the diff off) drained the fluid and there was a bit of metal shavings collected on the plug but no big chunks, last dif oil change before this one was maybe 30,000 ago. So my question is, anybody got any ideas on how to pin point it, or should i just rebuild the whole rear axle/dif?(has 237k with no work done to the rear other than fluid change) I mean it's not the most horrible noise, so chances are I'm going to just continue to drive it until the noise gets worse, but just wondering if anyone had encountered this before.

Thanks,

Eric

Sounds like wheel bearings. Had that noise in my 1993 Yota and 2005 Avalon, that oooh ooooh ooooh sound. Replaced the wheel bearings and now they're quiet. It'll come back soon though since our roads are the worst in the nation with pot holes galore that's been patched for 20 years.

Good luck
Old 08-28-2014, 01:20 PM

my guess is wheel bearings. I am having the same issue with my 91. Have a set of bearings on order, once I get them pressed in I will let you know if it goes away.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:24 PM

Hey thanks guys....appreciate it. Let me know how it goes on the 91.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:31 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks,

Eric
check the pinion nut and see if it's a little loose.