Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

'94 base pickup 22re 2wd starter clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 base pickup 22re 2wd starter clunk

has been a big project and my actual question is stared *** down at the bottom but I wanted to give some good detail! I went to college at Lincoln college of technology in Indianapolis in '09 but haven't been doing a lot of mechanics since I graduated so I'm a little rusty but it's coming back but any help would be greatly appreciated

Ok so here is where I am at had the clutch go out so I pulled the engine and transmission assembly vehicle was basically completely painted from the ground up with the used engine oil out of the truck before I bought it kept it from rusting to bad but it was a real pain to clean, once I had the engine out I cleaned and decreased everything back past the transmission brace, sandblasted whole engine compartment frame back to the transmission crossmember primed and painted whole engine bay, I didn't go any deeper into the block than the oil pan and the valve cover to replace gaskets, I didn't remove the water pump or the distributor.
I removed the intake manifold upper and lower cleaned and painted them taped intake and exhaust ports and any open lines for heating and cooling cleaned and painted the block note I placed all of the ground bolts back in place as to not cause a bad ground, I rebuilt injectors and replaced all external engine seals and gaskets
I replaced the clutch the flywheel pressure plate and trowout bearing, I've replaced the master and slave cylinders for the clutch, I replaced the pilot bearing in the crankshaft, cleaned and painted the transmission I put it all back together and back into the truck got everything hooked back up noticed my battery was getting pretty old so I swapped it with an extra I had the read out at 12.7v after sitting for a month figured it was good so I put that in also replaced battery terminals since the old ones looked pretty bad got it hooked up replaced all fluids note did not realize the there was a specific Toyota coolant as I bought it with American standard green already in it, I will flush and change to correct coolant!
*** Actual question: Anyway after I got it all back together I turned the key to start it and all I got was a thunk at the starter one think for each turn of the key, I figured hey my points where bad took out the starter took it to my local thirlby had them test it they told me the points where bad so I replaced the points and cleaned the plunger as they didn't have one put it all back together and still clunk when I turn the key I figured maybe one of my grounds was bad so I tested all over the engine and at the starter all showing 0 ohms of resistance so I figure my grounds are good tried taking the starter out of the truck and jumping it all that happens is that the pinion gear thrusts out but doesn't actually engage and spin, took my starter back and just replaced it what I didn't realize is that I was buying a remaned starter it i put that one in and I'm having the same issue I took it back out and had them retest it but no go just thrusts out and by doesn't spin, did some looking and noticed that when's plug the alternator back in I had broken off one of the tabs so I replaced my alt. I have tried jumping the starter direct from the battery while it was in place with no luck. I pulled the truck behind another truck and dumped the clutch in 2nd to get it to start and fired right up and purrs like a kitten shut it off and still turn the key and clunk. I'm at a loss for what my problem could be my last two guesses are that I got a bad remaned starter or I got the wrong flywheel and the starter doesn't mesh up considering I never compared the teeth between flywheels this has been bothering me any ideas?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Does the starter drive spin.

You should be able to hear it !!

If the starter is out you should see it spin.

I guess it is possible you installed the wrong fly wheel

Is it more of a thunk or is it more of a bang

Could be a bad rebuild I have been using them for years you do get a bad one from time to time.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Sounds like a metal to metal bang when I tried the starter out of the truck it does not spin had it tested at the shop and they said it was fine didn't get to watch them test it so I don't know for sure I don't think I have the wrong flywheel but its been on my mind, the starter should spin when hooked up out of the truck right? Does it need its base mount as a ground?
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM

Red face

Just like if it was in the vehicle

I use jumper cables and a extra battery

You can put the ground cable on the ear where the bolt hole is

Then I put the other cable to the battery connection .

Then I just jumper from the solenoid to the positive connection.

The starter drive will fly out and spin.

If it comes out but does not spin broken starter drive.

if it does not come out most likely bad contacts

It does seem to come out .

If it is the wrong fly wheel you should see some marks or damage on the starter drive gear.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:52 AM

Thanks alot wyoming9 I will check into that after I get my other engine pulled I'm my Subaru, it does seem to be a bad starter drive and that's pretty much what I figured because it does thrust out but doesn't spin I figured I got a bad starter but can't see that really being the issue, double and triple check I suppose
Old 07-29-2013, 03:58 PM

Well it ended up being something completely noobish and had my power supply hooked up to the neg side of the battery, do these trucks come with a standard black starter power supply it completely threw me off, just wondering if this is how they came off the assembly line?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:37 PM

Red face

One just never can be to sure going by the color

I hope you didn`t do any other damage.