YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > Newbie Tech Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

91 Toyota Fuel problems when cold

Truck:
91 Toyota 4x4

Engine:
22RE with a fresh overhaul

Tranny:
5 SPD

Maintenance performed:
Mobil 1 oil changes every 3k miles, new fuel filter, new plug wires, new plugs, and a new air filter

Problem:
The truck will not start when cold, It will if you sometimes hold it to the floor and it then starts and starts sputtering/backfiring through the intake and then it starts up fine and runs phenomenally for the rest of the day. This morning, I literally ran the battery dead trying to start it. It starts for about 2 seconds and then dies again and then it'll hit like it's wanting to start but wont unless you hold it to the floor (at which i'll let off once it starts up) I want to say the cold start injector but after it does start I see a cloud of flood smoke coming out of the back (which is probably due to me holding it to the floor)

Any suggestions guys? Once the engine starts and warms up it runs awesome.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I tried to give you as much information as possible about the truck so that you guys are left with something to work with, I know the feeling when people don't give you enough information.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Check the cold start injector...

You're gonna have to search for it b/c I don't have any pics or know where to get them.

It is not a fuel injector sitting in the lower manifold but rather a vary small fuel line that runs to the upper intake and has a wire connected to it.

What you wanna do is crack that, and try and start it. If you don't see fuel weeping out of it,,,

Then you wanna follow the procedure for priming the fuel/ testing the FP.

You gotta get a Chiltons or FSM... W/o it, you're a pilot flying blind.

"In America, we like everyone to know about the good work we're doing anonymously. " J.Leno

Quote:
[On how to succeed in business] You outwork, outthink, outscheme and outmanuever. You make no friends. You trust nobody. And you make damn sure you're the smartest guy in the room whenever the subject of money comes up.
Want BFG 35/10.50's? click here
Old 09-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

In my signature there is a link to factory service manuals.
Welcome to yotatech.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

I have the same problem. It's not the cold start injector, I replaced mine. Next step is the cold injector thermo switch.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

the switch can be tested...Look under the frt of the intake manifold there is small box with 4 hoses 2 coolant 2 air and a sensor. My buddies truck did the same thing and what it does is regualte extra air to the intake(like a idle air control motor) but toyota designed this for cold starts. it has a small wheel with an opening inside of it as the coolant heats up it closes off the air passage. Thats y it starts with the peddle to the floor. Hope this helps...There is a posting about it here on yotatech but i am unable to find it. Its about 220 at toyota for the part and like 180 at napa here in Texas.

1985 lifted locked dual cases Marlin crawler tube bumpers and sliders, hi-steer with ram assist, sitting in garage 5:29 arbs frt and rear, 35"km2s, dirty 30 frt axles & New trail gear 4in lift.

1985 4runner 4x4 Sold
1983 Hilux 4X4 Sold
1995 4runner 4x4 Sold
Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
22re, 91, cold, fuel, fueling, injector, long, losing, prime, problem, problems, run, sensor, start, starting, takes, toyota, truck