Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

90 22RE 4x4- Radiator leaking out of it's drain

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 90 22RE 4x4- Radiator leaking out of it's drain

Hey Everyone-

Thanks for making this such an awesome community!

After months of hunting for the perfect beast, I picked up my first Toy at the end of April.

She's been treating me really well overall, but recently the radiator started dripping through it's plug and out of the hose that runs through the front brush guard. I noticed the plug was a little loose, so I tightened it, and though this slowed the leak a bit, it is definitely still leaking.

I pulled the plug out completely to inspect it, and the tiny 5/8" o-ring looks a little munched, but not SO bad.

Could that be all it is? I am going to replace it today just to see, but was wondering if there might be something else going on since I'm such a noob.

Also, at this point, I've been opening the reservoir up, refilling a bit, pulling the plug a couple of times, etc.Is it worth my while just do a full flush and replace the t-stat? (I ask because the guy who sold it to me is a Toyota mechanic and did a full tune up on it before I bought her, so it might be overkill)

I've also noticed a slight gurgle when the truck's running, maybe worth it so I can burp my baby too...

Thanks everyone for all of your experience and insight!

Peace,

D
Old 05-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YotaTech!

That o-ring could very well explain your leak. It doesn't take much damage to it to render it next to useless. I would recommend trying to get your repalcement from a dealership, as I have tried to use NAPA o-rings, and still had a leak through there.

Once you have the leak back under control, then it would definitely be a good time to burp the cooling system. Do it with the front of the truck raised above the rear - a slope or a set of ramps will do. Heater controls at full on position. With the truck cool, remove the radiator cap, top off the coolant. Start the truck, and let it warm up at idle, continuing to top off the radiator as necessary. When you are sure that the thermostat has opened, and you have gotten all the coolant you can into it, replace the radiator cap. That should take care of your gurgle.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM

thanks!

Ya know, I went to two Kragen stores around here, both sell replacement plugs (w/ the o ring), but of course they weren't in stock. For now I am going to use some rings I got at a hardware store, and hit the dealership asap.

Thanks for the pointers!

Peace,

D