Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

4wheel questons

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wheel questons

I've searched multiple forums for answers on this- maybe its just me but I'm having issues engaging my 4wheel drive.
I've a 3rd gen(2000) 4runner limited, I've pushed the button on the shifter, shifted it into 4-hi, all the lights on the dash light up indicating that it is indeed in 4wheel drive. It sounds like the transfer case clicks in. I've tried this on the fly, as well as sitting still- tried it in reverse, shifting from neutral back into drive etc. I can not get the front tires to spin, nor is there any difficulty turning(which would lead me to believe the system isnt working). I'm new to a 4runner- I down sized from a F350 with a manual system. Any tricks to getting this system working? is this an indication that the system just isnt working? what to do?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM

you know positive the front tires arent moving? i would put the truck on jacks to make sure
Old 02-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SR4Runner
I can not get the front tires to spin, nor is there any difficulty turning(which would lead me to believe the system isnt working).
Dash light on. Shifted into 4WD. Are you certain the front tires are not turning in 4WD or just assuming they are not?

:wabbit2:
Old 02-14-2011, 05:13 PM

if you hear the transfer case click and you dont hear any extreme metel noise i would assume it is working
Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 PM

That's correct,the lights on all 4 tires come on- the light for the center differential comes on- Granted I wasn't in mud- but grass, I even held the break and still was only able to get both rear tires to spin. Front ones didn't seem to budge. Also when turning it didn't turn any different then when it was in 2wheel. I've never had a vehicle that the turn radius was not affected by the 4wheel drive. Although I've never had a vehicle this small either- Is it just that under powered that I need to be on snow or actually in the mud to break the front loose?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:19 PM

put it on jacks thats where id start
Old 02-14-2011, 05:21 PM

diesel- Thanks, Ill try that tomorrow and see what happens..
Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM

diesel- Thanks, Ill try that tomorrow and see what happens..
no problem... also when its on jacks if the tires dont move check the the front drive lineto see if its spinning

just to make sure 3rd gens dont have manual hubs do they? i drive a 1st gen so im not sure
Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 PM

I've had about fifteen different 4x4's, and sometimes it's hard to make the front tires spin to test the front drive axle/operation. So whenever I was in doubt, up on the four jack stands they'd go. But take my advice---make certain that you're on flat, solid level ground, and don't do this if you're Dad's Ferrari is parked ahead of you.....
Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Diesel- Thanks again, I WISH IT WAS MANUAL.. LOL, but its not, Ive got the 3rd generation, limited edition- its basically awd, but can be shifted into 4wd- has a stupid little button on the side of the shifter for the transfer case.

Ricky- I hear that!! that's worrying me also, Ive got to find a flat area where there's nothing to run into if things head south..
Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 PM

The first time you do it can be a bit nail biting----with my first 4x4 (back in '76 or so) my neighbor let me use his cement mixer as a back stop. Thankfully I didn't need to buy him a new one......
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 PM

Hey fellas put the truck up on jack stands- was able to get the 4wheel to engage.. lights flashed for about 5 seconds then it clicked in... Two issues though lol, got back on solid ground, tried it again- got into engage, but after driving about a 40ft it popped out on its own- made a nasty whining sound when it did- truck would also no move fwd while this happened. Second- the 3rd gens have 3 dif settings for the 4wheel- 2wd/4wd 4Hl and 4L
when shifted into 4Hl I didnt seem to have 4wheel- even the lights came on. The nasty sound- what on the transfer case is causing that? is my system shot? truck has 220k on it, and previous owner said the 4wheel was only used once or twice..
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM

so the wheels move i think the transfer case is chain driven but you say ur truck is awd? as in a center diff i work for a toyota stealership so ill educate myself on your trucks drivetrain tommorow is the truck driveable? is the issue of being able to move it only while in 4wd?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 PM

i hope this doesnt turn you off from toyotas they really are great vehicles
Old 02-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Not at all turned off yet- although this is my first 4runner, I'm still happy with it. The truck is in great shape despite having high miles..
I had it up on jacks, everything engaged seem to work fine- got in down tried it again it clicked in again- then quickly jumped out- transfer case started screeching, truck would not move until it was back into 2wheel drive. The truck is drivable- just the 4wheel system is seemingly shot.. I've been trying to educate myself too- new to a yota, and def new to this style of transfer case- the limiteds have a push button on the fly 4hi- then it also has yet another 4hi- basically one for on road and one for off- it also has the rear locker for when its in 4low- surprisingly the locker works perfectly even though the rest does not. From what Ive read so far I think the case is chain driven, I'm gonna change the case oil along with the difs this weekend- I hoping that the fluids are just low- although from what Ive read on that- it sounds as though its a bearing.. Oil change will tell- good news tho, found a few rebuilt TC's for under $500- granted they are rebuilt but still- Thanks again for everything!!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 PM

Hey fellas put the truck up on jack stands- was able to get the 4wheel to engage.. lights flashed for about 5 seconds then it clicked in... Two issues though lol, got back on solid ground, tried it again- got into engage, but after driving about a 40ft it popped out on its own- made a nasty whining sound when it did- truck would also no move fwd while this happened. Second- the 3rd gens have 3 dif settings for the 4wheel- 2wd/4wd 4Hl and 4L
when shifted into 4Hl I didnt seem to have 4wheel- even the lights came on. The nasty sound- what on the transfer case is causing that? is my system shot? truck has 220k on it, and previous owner said the 4wheel was only used once or twice..
mmm im going to look into the drive train for the 3rd gen 4runrs tommorrow at work it might be your transfere case if thats the were the noise was from
Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM

ok so i busted out the repair manual for your 4runner at work and it is a chain tc dont know if that matters i doubt a bearing is causeing non movement maybe some damage to the shift forks or even a broken chain which i doubt i would go with that rebuilt tc personally should be an easy r&r but i definatly believe your problem is in the transfere case what source is that rebuilt tc?? warranty? and if you dont have to give them a core i would tear into the tc just to see whats up
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 PM

I found a bunch of em just browsing ebay- most had some sort of warranty, a few even a had a year warranty on them.. I'm assuming its the TC also, I don't what else it could be, it doesnt grind or anything just whines and doesnt engage. I was asked if it had a vacuum system on it, I have yet to look into that yet, so I have no idea lol. Did the manual say anything about that? Being new to the vehicle really is a pain when something goes wrong... Thanks for checking into it.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 PM

mmm didnt notice any off that ill look again
Old 02-20-2011, 09:25 PM

ya theres no vaccum anything one those tcs

Quick Reply: 4wheel questons