Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

3SGE swap into 1988 rwd pick up

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3SGE swap into 1988 rwd pick up

Hello everyone, i am all new to toyotas so any help will be greatly appreciated! i have this idea of swapping in a 3SGE beams black top onto my "new" 1988 RWD single cab pick up they are both straight line motors so im thinking maybe this will work but im not sure if motor mounts will align at all or will i have to do some extreme modification? Will i be able to use the 6speed tranny the black top comes with?? Will this even be possible????

The reason why i wanna do this is because its somethig different, and wouldnt it be cool to surprise some people with this little quick truck ...

I will really appreciate any help or ideas, please get back at me,
And thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 AM

Sounds fun. You gonna got with the turbo engine or non?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM

I think I might leave it N/A and see how fast it is and if i feel like i need more power ,then i might put a turbo in it.

Which most likely ill want more power x)

Do you think it's possible though?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:46 PM
lmc

Originally Posted by Slammedpickup1800
I think I might leave it N/A and see how fast it is and if i feel like i need more power ,then i might put a turbo in it.
To avoid overspending and unplanned headaches, you should probably map out everything you're going to do ahead of time, especially for a big job like this that not many people have done.

Do you have experience doing motor swaps? Tackling a swap that few have done before is no small feat. You mention doing it for power which is always great, but you'll have to squeeze a 4 banger pretty hard to get the same amount of power that a v6 or v8 can with ease. You're bound by physics there.

You're idea does sound interesting, however. It's just a matter of how much time, money, and effort you're willing to put in for the end result.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by lmc
To avoid overspending and unplanned headaches, you should probably map out everything you're going to do ahead of time, especially for a big job like this that not many people have done.

Do you have experience doing motor swaps? Tackling a swap that few have done before is no small feat. You mention doing it for power which is always great, but you'll have to squeeze a 4 banger pretty hard to get the same amount of power that a v6 or v8 can with ease. You're bound by physics there.

You're idea does sound interesting, however. It's just a matter of how much time, money, and effort you're willing to put in for the end result.
No this will be my first swap but I will be getting help from a friend that is familiar with them. I'm not looking to get some outrageous power out of it I know stock with some headers and intake ill be pushing 200 horses easily . It's more of a power over weight ratio thing. With the stock engine it has now it gets up to speed ok but with the swap I'm thinking it will be way way quicker. Money is also coming in and I'm willing to put in the effort and time so hopefully it gets done and I get it running with the 3sge.
Also in the future ill probably upgrade the internals but for now my main goal is to get the motor in and running.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 AM
lmc

I guess I'm a little more conservative in that respect and would want to go with the tried and true for my first swap (3.4, 4.3, etc.). But, sounds like you're motivated to do it so get 'er done! Keep us posted