Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22RE vs. 3VZ-E

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
Jeep uses Iron heads on the Inline 6..i know this because i rebuilt one...it's a heavy SOB
been there...made some good points man. i learned a lot in the last few post if i ever pick up a 3vze runner first mod will be the exhaust. thank you
Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would like to see how yall change the crossover. ive benn trying to figure how people do that for a while now
Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
3vz vs 22re has been a discussion since the day these vehicles were manufactured...
personally, i've driven both.

Power:
Stock for stock the 3vz is way more powerful hands down. there's no comparisons on the HP/Torque output. the 3vz has 50% more power and it'll blow the doors off the 22re in any contest. me and buddy have goofed off and tested it numerous of times. no matter what the circumstances are ( from a dead stop, rolling start, etc etc ) Im car lengths in front of him in seconds. also, hes a 22re std cab and i'm a 3vz 4runner. both are 5 speeds.

Reliability:
Both are very Reliable motors. Yes, the V6 had a recall due to a faulty headgasket. Yes, the V6 requires much more tender love and care. But theres a solution to that headgasket issues... Headers I will admit, i've had headers on my truck since 114k miles ( im at 146xxx now ) and honestly, the trucks should've come factory this way. the power out put, MPG increase, and of course, not worrying about the headgasket blowing anymore is a huge weight off anybodies shoulders. then again, im only at 146k miles. this truck has a long life ahead of it still... I realize that MOST of the people that talk about the 3vz have damn near 200-300k miles on their vehicles and they've been through alot. My maintenance schedule is:

3,000 mile oil changes
check the air filter every oil change, if dirty as hell, remove/replace
grease all mechanical parts, ( drive shafts, cv joints, etc etc )

i've been doing this since i bought the truck and document every oil change. this is the ONLY mechanical issue i've had for 3-4 years of owning the vehicle. its going in for a tune up at 150k miles

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 07-21-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 AM

sounds like both have their pro and cons, it just really depends what I need out of the truck... I'm thinking 22R-E has a bigger aftermarket crowd and thus more parts... sounds like the motor for me.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:14 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
3vz vs 22re has been a discussion since the day these vehicles were manufactured...
personally, i've driven both.

Power:
Stock for stock the 3vz is way more powerful hands down. there's no comparisons on the HP/Torque output. the 3vz has 50% more power and it'll blow the doors off the 22re in any contest. me and buddy have goofed off and tested it numerous of times. no matter what the circumstances are ( from a dead stop, rolling start, etc etc ) Im car lengths in front of him in seconds. also, hes a 22re std cab and i'm a 3vz 4runner. both are 5 speeds.

Reliability:
Both are very Reliable motors. Yes, the V6 had a recall due to a faulty headgasket. Yes, the V6 requires much more tender love and care. But theres a solution to that headgasket issues... Headers I will admit, i've had headers on my truck since 114k miles ( im at 146xxx now ) and honestly, the trucks should've come factory this way. the power out put, MPG increase, and of course, not worrying about the headgasket blowing anymore is a huge weight off anybodies shoulders. then again, im only at 146k miles. this truck has a long life ahead of it still... I realize that MOST of the people that talk about the 3vz have damn near 200-300k miles on their vehicles and they've been through alot. My maintenance schedule is:

3,000 mile oil changes
check the air filter every oil change, if dirty as hell, remove/replace
grease all mechanical parts, ( drive shafts, cv joints, etc etc )

i've been doing this since i bought the truck and document every oil change. this is the ONLY mechanical issue i've had for 3-4 years of owning the vehicle. its going in for a tune up at 150k miles

Hope this was helpful.
in response I like to hear what every toyota enthusiast has to say, about their rigs or past experiences. thanks for the input.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by az4x4runner
I'd say you're wrong. I don't hear people talking about how they hate their 3vzes. I see it called the 3.slow from time to time, but I always found it humorous. Nothing wrong with slow, it is not a huge V6 after all.. and if we were comparing it to the 22re it's not really that slow.

To call the 3vze "crap" is a pretty broad statement. What do you mean by a "22re that can take abuse or an abused 3vze"? Do you mean the people who run their vehicles into the ground without maintaining them? If you don't maintain the 22re, such as the timing chain, and it breaks you are looking at some serious engine repair. Not so with the 3vze. If you set the reputation the 3vze got from the head gasket recall aside, it really is a pretty solid and unstoppable engine.
i dont know man alot of people regret buying the 3.0L and there's alot who swap to 3.4's so i dont see where you are seeing people in love with this motor??????

"22re that can take abuse or an abused 3vze" i said i would rather have an abused 22re rather than an abused 3vze. easy to work on/ fix 22re's, simpler engine. sure they are 34hp short of a good running 3vze but i would feel allot happier with 116hp 22re that i can trust. This OP is wondering what is the best way to go and in all seriousness i cant see him liking the 3vze.

now if you want me to say something nice about a 3vze than i will lol. MaK92-4RnR has one beast 3vze lol but his has low miles, well maintained, headers and in that situation i would recommend that engine. but most people arent going to get a 3vze toyota with those low miles, with headers, and well maintained from some un know owner. like am i seriously the only one who see's this?????????????
Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 PM

i just dont want to see another guy buy into a toyota and then sell it because he was disappointed with the engine being junk? i have seen it happen a few times on this forum. sorry i even tried to help on this thread because apparently allot of people love there 3vze??? first time i have seen this but alright then.... if you want to hear BS then go buy a 3vze, you will love how easy it is to work on and the awesome power it has over that little old 22re!!!!! yay! is everyone happy now? if we just cover it up then it all goes away
Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM

haha i think the op would will be happy with either motor!!! can we all be friends now?!?!?! lol its kinda sad when a toyota owner is trying to prove that another toyota is a peice of crap
Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for anyone that wants to know.

the crossover elimination is easy as pie....well sorta lol..my engine was out of the runner getting rebuilt as i was doin all this.

take off the crossover, get a block-off plate made for the driverside manifold where the crossover attaches. (use the flange on the crossover as a template, because it only fits one way.)..in fact the exhaust shop made a good point..USE THE FLANGE off of the stock crossover (cut it off) and have a cap welded over the small piece of pipe, because then you can use a regular exhaust gasket to seal it up.

block the driverside off.

cut the flange off of the passenger side of the crossover, leave a few inches of pipe on it because you can rotate the crossover to point down, and it will give you almost the exact angle of pipe to clear everything like fuel lines, brake lines, firewall.

after you have have cut the flange off (leaving a few inches of pipe on it) get a piece of pipe welded on of whatever size you want, i picked 2.25", following the angle of the small pipe down.

after that you can have the passenger side exhaust ran underneath the tranny. it will be well protected and can tie into the driverside pipe before the O2 sensor.

that's how i'm going to have mine ran atleast, i'm wanting to run it into a dual inlet single outlet muffler, but i'm not sure if the O2 sensor will read right because it's only having half of the normal exhaust gasses flowing over it.

if anyone wants, i can post pictures everything

back on topic.

i'm not saying the 3VZ motor is a SAINT..i'm just saying it's misunderstood, like someone else said, just because it had a recall, they automatically think that the motor is a piece of crap.

Three of the guys i work with said my 1992 toyota 4runner is a piece of $#!$ because of the recall's toyota has been having IN THE PAST FEW YEARS. it's childish really...of course they were all jeep owners who got really pissed when i said i'm getting a sticker that has the Search and Rescue symbol, that says JEEP SEARH AND RESCUE VEHICLE...i thought it was pretty great lol
Old 07-21-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
i just dont want to see another guy buy into a toyota and then sell it because he was disappointed with the engine being junk? i have seen it happen a few times on this forum. sorry i even tried to help on this thread because apparently allot of people love there 3vze??? first time i have seen this but alright then.... if you want to hear BS then go buy a 3vze, you will love how easy it is to work on and the awesome power it has over that little old 22re!!!!! yay! is everyone happy now? if we just cover it up then it all goes away
the 3vze is not junk. I love my 3vze. its more or less like a stubborn girlfriend. it requires more money, and TLC to maintain but in the end makes you because it "runs" good the 3vz isn't really that much of a pain to work on. remove the intake, and move the vacuum hoses out of the way, and it has just as much space from fender to motor as a 22re does
Old 07-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
for anyone that wants to know.

the crossover elimination is easy as pie....well sorta lol..my engine was out of the runner getting rebuilt as i was doin all this.

take off the crossover, get a block-off plate made for the driverside manifold where the crossover attaches. (use the flange on the crossover as a template, because it only fits one way.)..in fact the exhaust shop made a good point..USE THE FLANGE off of the stock crossover (cut it off) and have a cap welded over the small piece of pipe, because then you can use a regular exhaust gasket to seal it up.

block the driverside off.

cut the flange off of the passenger side of the crossover, leave a few inches of pipe on it because you can rotate the crossover to point down, and it will give you almost the exact angle of pipe to clear everything like fuel lines, brake lines, firewall.

after you have have cut the flange off (leaving a few inches of pipe on it) get a piece of pipe welded on of whatever size you want, i picked 2.25", following the angle of the small pipe down.

after that you can have the passenger side exhaust ran underneath the tranny. it will be well protected and can tie into the driverside pipe before the O2 sensor.

that's how i'm going to have mine ran atleast, i'm wanting to run it into a dual inlet single outlet muffler, but i'm not sure if the O2 sensor will read right because it's only having half of the normal exhaust gasses flowing over it.

if anyone wants, i can post pictures everything

back on topic.

i'm not saying the 3VZ motor is a SAINT..i'm just saying it's misunderstood, like someone else said, just because it had a recall, they automatically think that the motor is a piece of crap.

Three of the guys i work with said my 1992 toyota 4runner is a piece of $#!$ because of the recall's toyota has been having IN THE PAST FEW YEARS. it's childish really...of course they were all jeep owners who got really pissed when i said i'm getting a sticker that has the Search and Rescue symbol, that says JEEP SEARH AND RESCUE VEHICLE...i thought it was pretty great lol
hell yeah on the 92 4runners haha

a jeep cant talk, with headers ( or a crossover delete ) a headgasket issue is an absolute myth. besides, their inline 6 doesn't have anything on us.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nah the inline 6 isn't all that great..but it's a fun motor to play around with in an old beat down junkyard jeep lol

i think it's the 4.6L jeep inline 6 Stroker kit that actually puts down some IMPRESSIVE numbers
Old 07-21-2010, 02:52 PM

I personally would not buy a 22re unless it's a turbo. The 3vze is a good motor I love mine. I love how the 22re people call the 3.0 gutless and a dog even though a 22re comes no where near a 3.0 in performance.

As for the head gaskets, I see just as many 22re's with hg problems as 3.0s.

Me and my friend were racing once and my 3.0 kept up with his 2004 taco with a 3.4. He was about a car length ahead of me but we were both at WOT. So yea I love my 3.0. It's got 227k miles btw
Old 07-21-2010, 02:54 PM

lol backgate we cannot be friends because of this lmao jk

its not the recall factor really, its just that it was a poorly thought out engine. all im saying is that this guy should get a 22re instead of the 3vze. he will be happyer with its simplicity and overall awesomeness haha.

mak your 3.0L is dope but alot of them aren't lol. in comparison to working on a 3vze to a 22re is like loosing you keys in the dark, with the 22re you get a flashlight . its so funny when we change the oil on my friends 3vze. he calls me over so i can stick my hand up through the susp to get the oil filter off. where on my 22re i just reach in and take it off. simple. i dont want to take the intake and vacum hoses off the just do some work? but maybe thats just me? lol didnt u say mak that putting your headers on was a pain in the arse?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
lol backgate we cannot be friends because of this lmao jk

its not the recall factor really, its just that it was a poorly thought out engine. all im saying is that this guy should get a 22re instead of the 3vze. he will be happyer with its simplicity and overall awesomeness haha.

mak your 3.0L is dope but alot of them aren't lol. in comparison to working on a 3vze to a 22re is like loosing you keys in the dark, with the 22re you get a flashlight . its so funny when we change the oil on my friends 3vze. he calls me over so i can stick my hand up through the susp to get the oil filter off. where on my 22re i just reach in and take it off. simple. i dont want to take the intake and vacum hoses off the just do some work? but maybe thats just me? lol didnt u say mak that putting your headers on was a pain in the arse?
it was a pain in the ass, yeah. but ONLY because of the crossover. we had to spend 2-3 hours before i got the balls to say just cut the F'er out. other than that. it was pretty basic getting them on, the egr and smog crap gave some problems that but thats all... YOU DIDNT EVEN INSTALL YOUR HEADER. dont even judge me on me wanting to do my own work lmao

I have some valve cover gaskets to replace... but thats fine. I have to take my intake manifold off and such. but thats fine as well. Clean the throttle body out and what not while im doing it. kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 PM

lol mak i pulled my header and down pipe off because they messed it up, it had a billion leaks, so i re sealed it. was easy a hell lol. i havent had any thing hard to do on my 22re yet. its all very simple.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 70elcoss
I personally would not buy a 22re unless it's a turbo.
Me and my friend were racing once and my 3.0 kept up with his 2004 taco with a 3.4. He was about a car length ahead of me but we were both at WOT. So yea I love my 3.0. It's got 227k miles btw
Sorry man but I feel dumber after reading this post. Turbo 22RE's SUCK and once the turbo goes, your really SOL unless you have $$ to burn for a low HP turbo. I don't know how many of those things have rolled into my bros shop with a toasted turbo

And a 3.0 that keeps up with a 3.4?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:34 PM

my 3.0 doesn't even keep up with my brothers stock 3.4. yes I can still see him in front of me... a couple car lengths a head of me. no more shrooms for you
Old 07-21-2010, 03:54 PM

haha i thank god for having a body lift. lol it makes work so much easier. lol like i dont think headers will be to much of a pain since i have a body lift haha
Old 07-21-2010, 04:22 PM

I couldn't even read through this because it's all been said before.

I have had 2 4runners with the 3VZE and an auto and one with the 3VZE and manual transmission.
The first one was a 91 and it had the head gaskets replaced under the recall before I bought it with 129K miles on it. It was slow and the auto tranny kind of sucked but I never really had any issues with it.

The 2nd was a 92 with a manual tranny and only about 129K miles and this thing turned out to be a POS, It burned oil like crazy and couldn't go over 75 miles per hour. This was with a brand new short block from Toyota with 30K on it and rebuilt heads $4K + receipts from the PO.

The 3rd 4Runner I had was a 1995 Limited 3.0 with an auto tranny, this one was by far the nicest and fastest but it blew the head gaskets about 8 months and 10K miles after I owned it. The head gaskets went around 155K on this one.

I've had two 22RE 4Runner's an 87 which I sold with 222K miles on it and an 86 which I sold with 224K miles. The 86 is still running with over 290K on it now as far as I know.

Now I have a 90 22RE with 112K miles and it runs perfect. In my experience the 22re is a much better engine and I would never own another 3vze unless it was a gift.

If you have any more questions about the problems I've had with both versions of trucks send me an instant message.

Last edited by pruney81; 07-21-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 22RE vs. 3VZ-E