Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22re truck won't start. electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re truck won't start. electrical problems?

I just want to admit that i am a super newbie. I'm not a gear head just a starving artist who lucked out with a great truck. My truck is a 1991 pickup 22re and has run well since i've gotten it.

I recently drained my bettery by leaving the headlights on while it sat for two days. there was absolutely no response when I tried to start it. I asked a neighbor to help me jump start it and after I hooked up the cables on his battery he grabbed the other end without asking and crossed the cables. i didn't realize it until i got in the truck and turned the ignition once and saw smoke rising from the positive battery terminal. by the time I switched the cables to to the proper position it was too late. i tried starting the car but didn't get any response. I pulled the battery out to charge it over night. The next day i checked all the fuses and found the ALT fuse burned out. After I replaced it the engine will crank but will never turn on its own. ive looked at all the fuses and they all seem to work fine. I even looked at the ECM to see if it had burned out but it looked and smelled fine. at this point i don't know what direction to take with it. please help. Where should I start?

btw I also tried checking trouble codes but i dont see a CEL on my dash.

Last edited by jessenegron; 01-23-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You might want to check the fusible links in the engine fuse box.

Did your battery take a charge it might be shot!!.

Be a good idea to check the main grounds going to the engine and to the inner fender perhaps you didn`t get a good connection when you put the battery back in.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the respones guys. I'm embarrased to say that it was a fuse that i overlooked for the efi. Good news is that i have my yota back.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you have a multi tester you can use the continuity tester to look for bad fuses this is the setting where if you touch both leads together it will beep. then you touch both leads one to dither side of the fuse "little metal tabs" if it beeps there is continuity if not fuse is bad replace with good one. if you need to check fusible links you can use this same method touching both sides of the wire in question with same results however if a fusible link is bad the fix is to install an in line fuse in its place preferably in an easier to reach place. starter relay is good to test just search "test relay"

Good luck!!!

PS take the battery and have it tested before too much effort is put in to this diagnostics process!! Autozone or any other auto parts store will do this free of charge even battery stores will!!