Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22R won't stay running - fuel delivery issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22R won't stay running - fuel delivery issue?

I'm helping my son fix up a '92 4x4 truck with a 22RE/5-speed. It had been sitting for 5 years when he got it, but it's basically rust free and he got a great deal on it.

Anyway, we were not getting any fuel pressure and removed the fuel tank, only to find a rusty, nasty-smelling mess. Found another on CL (it was in a truck, but was actually a 4-Runner tank), and hooked it up. Got the truck started, worked the bad gas through and it ended up idling pretty well. However, as soon as we shut it off, it refused to start again and showed all symptoms of not getting any fuel.

We let it sit overnight and it started right up tonight after I got home from work. As soon as I shut it off, it wouldn't start again, and seemed to not be getting any fuel.

Weird problem, but I'm hoping it might be weird enough to be model-specific and that someone here can point me in the right direction. We did change the fuel filter a week or so ago. Since the tank was a little different, I'm wondering if I might have gotten the return lines backwards and the tank isn't venting right? Any other thoughts?

This will all be worth it, as once we get everything worked through, he'll have a rust-free truck with 105k, tilt and air and he'll be into it under $2k.

Last edited by eggens; 12-13-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:09 PM

Have you tried loosening the fuel line at the cold start injector? you should get a spray of fuel when loosening it. If so then you have fuel pressure although maybe not enough. Should be around 30psi.

Also your cold start injector may not be working. Download the FSM from Pirate4x4 and run the diagnostic checks for the fuel system.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Looks like it was the fuel pump relay. Located it, did the recommended tap with a screwdriver, and it now starts on command.

Funny, I fixed the rear window motor in my Sequoia the same way last year.