Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1992 v6 wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 v6 wont start.

Hi, I hope someone can help me, i am not too good at working on vehicles anymore but i know basics, well i will explain what has happened i bought this truck it ran fine, i didnt have a license at the time so it sat for awhile..always started up and ran when i would run it for a bit so it stayed active...finally i got my license and was running it..it started to act like it ran out of fuel so i checked it found a leak in the tank, fixed the leak and put fuel back in, and it doesnt want to start again, i thought its possibly the fuel filter got clogged with junk but it is getting fuel up the line, maybe its not enough? now it has been sitting awhile i have to go and recharge the battery tomorrow and hopefully change the fuel filter..but if that doesnt work i am at a lose..does anybody have any ideas?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Jump the correct terminals (search to find them, I forget) to turn the pump on. Then you can see if its working or not.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM

I am not sure what you mean? jump the battery? i wish i could i dont have the tools in fact i only have simple tools some wrenches and sockets for basic use, but i need to use them to do what i can..i have to take the battery in to have it juiced up, but i have tried before thats what ran the battery down trying to start it, it turns over and just doesnt act like it wants to start at all.
If you mean the fuel pump i will have to try that tomorrow when i ge tthe fuel filter bsuted loose and ill keep it updated here, thanks for the tip

Last edited by astroknot; 07-12-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 AM

ah i cant work on it this month i need to buy some things i cant get yet, i will charge the battery and get it ready,
Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by astroknot
I am not sure what you mean? jump the battery? i wish i could i dont have the tools in fact i only have simple tools some wrenches and sockets for basic use, but i need to use them to do what i can..i have to take the battery in to have it juiced up, but i have tried before thats what ran the battery down trying to start it, it turns over and just doesnt act like it wants to start at all.
If you mean the fuel pump i will have to try that tomorrow when i ge tthe fuel filter bsuted loose and ill keep it updated here, thanks for the tip
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#FuelPump
Old 07-14-2009, 02:02 PM

well i finally got the fuel filter changed, there was no fuel dripping out of the line i dont know if that is normal, then i went to start it...it would idle rohgly and when i press the gas it dies, unless i constantly pump it really fast then it begioins to run then i let off and it idles normally for a second then goes back to a rough idle, i checked a line up in the engine compartment and it had fuel coming through and when you lossend it the fuel sprays out when trying to start so i think its getting the fuel..maybe not enough or it could be something else..please help me i am stumped!!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 AM

I am back, i need a little help on how to jump the ful pump, its been a long time since i have done anything like this and need a little assistance.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by astroknot
I am back, i need a little help on how to jump the ful pump, its been a long time since i have done anything like this and need a little assistance.
Read the page posted above and you will find this:

Old 08-04-2009, 11:08 AM

ah thanks, i think i looked but thought it was over my head i will do that!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:45 AM

Hi again 4 crawler can you assist me again im trying to understand this...in the diagnostics box i put a wire in each connector shown,
what does this do jump start the fuel pump or bypass certain things?
i have read the article but not sure exactly whats being done here
...so anyhow i have put the wire in the box as shown and nothing happened
Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 AM

OK i jumped it across..i heard the fuel pump turn on...i tried to start the truck and it just kept turning over...didnt even sound a fire off..
Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you getting spark? Is the fuel making it to the fuel rail?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:22 PM

yes just 2 days ago it was trying to start and would run really rough i had to keep pressing the gas to keep it running but now it doesnt want to even act like its sparking..i checked a fuel line up on the engine and it has fuel coming in through there...not sure whats up..any ideas?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Hows about checking for a vac leak?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:31 PM

fuel rail

I dont know anything about fuel injection, im not sure ..how do you check the fuel rail? there is one spot on the engine i checked its on the passenger side up on the top it is a fuel line that is bolted on...at that point there is fuel
i will check the spark on all of the plugs tomorrow i have to recharge the battery its dead now.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM

all of the hoses look fine and are all connected, so i dont think there is a vacuum leak as it ran fine before it ran out of fuel, and nothing has changed on the motor besides i changed the plugs and wires
Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 PM

I believe you are referring to the cold start valve, if you have fuel there then you have fuel to the injectors. Hmmm you said it sat for a while, is the fuel in it new, maybe water in the lines? Maybe shoot a bit of either in it to see how it acts? Just a bit too much isn't a good thing.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM

some of the fuel is new and some it it is old when it ran out of fuel i think was probaly 8 months ago or more, and the fuel i put in it was about 3 gallons about 4 months or so ago and then about 4 gallons about 1 month and a bottle of sea foam about a week ago
Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 PM

not sure how to inject ether into it.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM

I guess the fuel would be alright...as long as no water was in it.

As for the starting fluid (either) pop the air cleaner out and move teh AFM flapper out of the way and give a squirt or 2 down it's throat. Crank it over...

Quick Reply: 1992 v6 wont start.